Marcus Oakley's "Best Recommendation" Questions

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
LG OLED TVs. Not the curved ones.

That, or a JVC projector in a really good home theater.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
hi all

im after buying he oppo 205 4k blu ray player

in peoples opion what would be the ultimate tv to use for the very best picture qualiy for ultra hd hdr/ dolby vision/ blu ray movies and for ps4 pro gaming and xbox one s gaming to show of what the oppo 205 can do thanks
Have you checked out the ratings at rtings.com? This is a good place to start narrowing your search. There's really no substitute, of course, for actually viewing the sets. I watched a couple sets at a local Best Buy that were very close in terms of the test numbers posted at rtings.com. However, after watching both sets very carefully for several minutes, I noticed that the certain red colors on one of the sets were better. It's possible that this was a settings issue. To my mind, test numbers are a good place to start, but they don't tell you everything.

"Best" will depend somewhat on how big you want to go, how bright the room is, if you care about viewing angle, etc.

rtings.com rated the LG OLED65B6P as the best 65 inch set (http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/65-inch). I've stared (while drooling) at these in the store, and these are awesome TVs in this size range. It's hard to see how you could go wrong with this set, but you might want to spend some time looking at various sets just to convince yourself you're making the right choice.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
If price is no object, and you want a larger TV, you might want to look into the LG OLED77G6P. I have not seen one in real life, but they look great in my dreams. The Sony Z9D series sets also do quite well in tests, but I have not seen one of these in real life either.

One caveat on viewing TVs in stores. The different manufacturers use different videos for the in-store demos (at least this is the case at the local Best Buy), which makes it difficult to get a direct comparison. My impression is that each manufacturer attempts to use videos that emphasize the good features of their TVs while minimizing the weak points as much as possible. I can't prove that this is correct, but that is my impression.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
If price is no object, and you want a larger TV, you might want to look into the LG OLED77G6P. I have not seen one in real life, but they look great in my dreams. The Sony Z9D series sets also do quite well in tests, but I have not seen one of these in real life either.

One caveat on viewing TVs in stores. The different manufacturers use different videos for the in-store demos (at least this is the case at the local Best Buy), which makes it difficult to get a direct comparison. My impression is that each manufacturer attempts to use videos that emphasize the good features of their TVs while minimizing the weak points as much as possible. I can't prove that this is correct, but that is my impression.
Not only that, but a lot of TVs will ask if it will be used for a store demo or in-home use. I know that when I sold them they had their picture settings turned up so they were as bright as possible. So while viewing the set is a good idea, you'll want to get it calibrated which will look vastly different from the store demo.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Not only that, but a lot of TVs will ask if it will be used for a store demo or in-home use. I know that when I sold them they had their picture settings turned up so they were as bright as possible. So while viewing the set is a good idea, you'll want to get it calibrated which will look vastly different from the store demo.
There is also a lot of in-store adjustments made. If there is a sale on a set one week, or if they for some reason want to move a certain panel, they will dial up the one and dial down the others.

There are a lot of areas of picture quality that can be assessed in person, but if you're standing back and picking the one with the "best picture", you're probably being manipulated.

M

marcus oakley

Audioholic
hi all

i am going to be using the rbh impressions speaker package comprising 4 rbh 55ti as front and rears r56ci centre r5bi as extra rears and 4 rbh mc-815 in ceiling speakers and 4 vhsu vf 15 mk2 subs and a oppo 205 4k player and a sky q sivcer box and ps4 pro and xbox one s and wii console

my question is what would be the better amp to use wih this speaker package the marantz 7011 or the denon 7200wa amp which amp would produce the better sound quality with this speaker package

or can you think of any other amp that would producxe the very best sound quality with the rbh impressions that has dolby atmos and dts x thanks marcus need help asap

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Marantz and Denon should be very much alike, and I don't think you will hear any significant difference. They are both owned by the same company, D&M Holdings. You will be happy with either one. Another manufacturer I like is Yamaha. Anthem, Emotiva, and Outlaw Audio are good too.

By the way, four Hsu VTF15h mk2s are going to blow your house down. That is a huge amount of power. If you actually end up ordering that, order that over the phone, because that sort of order might be less expensive to ship via freight versus fedex, so see if you can arrange freight shipping over the phone on that. There would also be less chance of damage occurring to the subwoofers.

M

marcus oakley

Audioholic
hi i have just bought mc-815 ceiling speakers what do i need in addition to be able to mount it to the ceiling thanks marcus need help asap thanks

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Did you open the box and look at the speaker? Did you look at the manual? The speaker has built-in “dog legs” to hold it in place.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I purchased some Noble Fidelity in ceiling speakers...somewhat pricey for in ceiling in many circles I guess. They came with everything you need to install them.

In turn, I'm looking at some Monoprice in ceiling speakers for ATMOS in my HT space...they are a fraction of the cost of the Noble's...they also have everything you need to install them.

Point is, I think they all come ready to install, no extra equipment needed.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, I have just bought mc-815 ceiling speakers. What do i need in addition to be able to mount it to the ceiling ?
The RBH MC-815 speakers come with what you need to install.

Optionally, you could also get Rear Enclosures.

https://rbhsound.com/fbc8.php

This is what I got since my ceiling has foam + fiberglass insulation and I didn't want the insulation all over my speakers. :D

I also got the New Construction Bracket (NCB) since my house was brand new construction.

https://rbhsound.com/ncb8r.php

M

marcus oakley

Audioholic
hi

i am after buying 4 do it yourself subs that are incredibly cheap to build that can compete with the very best subs currently in the market for sound quality with the very lowest frequecy bass extension and sounds top notch i want it for bone crunching teeth rattling gut wrenching make you jump out of your seat and give you goose bumps for all out gun blazing action movies scifi and horror movies and i want it sound incredibly good with music

i want the best diy subs that will work the best with
a marants 7010 amp and a emotiva xpa3 gen3 amp using rbh impressions speakers comprising of 4 r55ti front and rear speakers r56ci centre speaker 2 r5bi as extra rear speakers 4 mc-815 in ceiling speakers to make it 11.4 i will connect front and centre speaker to the emotiva and the rest to the marants using blue jeans speaker cables and a oppo 205 4k player thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You don't buy DIY subs, you make them. What driver/amp/box combos are you considering? You can do very will with diy subs in any case. You can buy aiy kits to help reduce the amount of "making", tho. Are you in the US?

M

marcus oakley

Audioholic
I don't know what driver amp box combos do you recommend no I am not in the US I'm in United Kingdom what are any kits where do I get them from

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know what driver amp box combos do you recommend no I am not in the US I'm in United Kingdom what are any kits where do I get them from
Well, you can look for proven designs with cut lists and cut your own mdf/plywood to suit, don't think I've seen much about AIY kits available in the UK let alone the driver/amp choices I'm accustomed to here in the US. Have you tried the diy subforum here at AH for proven designs with specific boxes/drivers/amps? At avsforum.com? At diyaudio.com?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
There may not be any kit vendors in the UK. You will have to do your homework here, do some google searches, see what is available in your neck of the woods. My guess is you will not find much in the way of pre-fabricated kits. I think you will have to make your own cabinets. You will have to see what drivers are available in your area and then make cabinets that are suited to those drivers. I see that the Peerless XXLS is available in the UK. If you didn't want to make a big project out of it, I would just buy a bunch of these BK Monolith subs and be done with it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
i am after buying 4 do it yourself subs that are incredibly cheap to build that can compete with the very best subs currently in the market
I love it when guys start a thread and use words like "very best" and "incredibly cheap" in the same sentence... :p

Some pretty nice speakers and equipment tho.

Listen to HD. He's built more than a couple and knows what he's talking about. I was gonna chime in with a link or 2, but I'm with HD. I have no clue what's available to you in the UK (plus im not as knowledgeable as he is with building subwoofers). Here in the states we have some very nice precut flat packs you assemble yourself. If you're handy you can buy the wood and cut everything following a guide on a proven design. There are a bunch out there. What, exactly, are you going for? How big is your room?

*Edit: I missed a "/" in one of the quote tags. I edited this post probably 15 times until I figured it out. :mad: :p

Last edited:
M

marcus oakley

Audioholic
hi my room measurements are 30x25x15 i want to put 1 sub in each corner of the room i dont no what to go for which is why i am asking on this forum

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
hi my room measurements are 30x25x15 i want to put 1 sub in each corner of the room i dont no what to go for which is why i am asking on this forum
I'd go with large subs for that huge room, 18" drivers if not larger. Something like the Dayton UM-18 or if you could swing it, the Stereo Integrity HST-18 for driver, would go with large ported boxes. Amps something like the SpeakerPower amps.

You could hire a cabinet maker to make the boxes for you if you don't have the tools/capabilities.

M

marcus oakley

Audioholic
can the oppo 205 be connected to a denon 4300 amp using 7.1 analouge connections i want the best sound quality from my oppo 205 using the denon if not any other way of connecting it up to still get the very best sound quality from the oppo 205 thanks

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis