JVC RS2 B Stock Blowout Special While They Last...

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
Gah! Now I'm even more confused. The guy with the used RS2 is willing to do $2000 shipped and throw in a chief mount, the warranty expires in November as it is the HD100 version which has a 1 year warranty.

I don't really know what appeals to me more. A lovingly cared for sparingly used PJ, or a B-stock which was either returned or used for a demo with probably brand new bulb. I have to weigh bulb and warranty versus saving $300. The used one has 113 hours on the bulb.
You're confused? I am confused. I thought you already bought the B-Stock one from AVS...

Either way, I am pretty certain - the 2 year warranty is worth it over the 3 month warranty.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Well I was about to order a AE3000 B-Stock for $1850 when I discovered the RS2 B-Stock at AVS.

After reading the reviews I decided to go for the RS2 and ordered it yesterday from Jason.
Here's the thread that captain-joe was talking about. The first reply mentions the over-saturation, which I touched upon earlier as red and green push, but he says that the RS2 is actually brighter than the 3000, post-calibration. Nice.

JVC RS2 vs Panasonic PT-AE3000U ?

We probably won't set up the JVC at his current house at all because of the moving issues, but I think it would be better to check it against my Carada than his old VueTech or whatever it is anyway. I will put it on my 92" 1.0 gain Carada and see what we think before we order his screen. Obviously his screen will be a bit larger, so I will have to take that into consideration and maybe set up the projector location a bit differently to reach similar zoom and viewing angles that we will have in his new room.
Ok. If it looks perfect on your 92" on your screen, and happens to be 1.0 (is it?), then it should look identical in brightness with the 1.4 gain at 110". Here is the calculation of 92" vs 110" at 16:9. This represents a 43% increase in size. Since 1.4 gain gets you a 40% increase in brightness, it should look identical. Now, with all due respect to Carada, I'd still be surprised if it was a full 40% gain, but who knows, maybe it is.

As for playing with zoom, I would just make sure it's somewhere in the normal range, because even if I don't know how much it affects JVC, many PJs many lose brightness at either extreme, I think*. Otherwise, closer is generally brighter, and farther for more contrast.

btw, I received notice that Erin finally saw this. :)

strube

strube

Strube you get a shipping notice yet? :D
Yes sir, I just did, actually!

Should be here by Wednesday. It is always faster when things ship from the west coast instead of the east coast - oh well... :rolleyes:

S

septim

Audioholic
Yes sir, I just did, actually!

Should be here by Wednesday. It is always faster when things ship from the west coast instead of the east coast - oh well... :rolleyes:
Here's hoping we get low hours! Good luck to you.

strube

strube

Tomorrow needs to be here. I have some very dark movies I want to watch and my Sony just isn't cutting it with the black levels!

OTOH, it is probably a very bad idea that I am going to be using the RS2 temporarily because I truly will not be able to stand anything else once the time comes...

I am still going to do it though.:D

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Tomorrow needs to be here.
Well, he was last posting this morning. :p:p

OTOH, it is probably a very bad idea that I am going to be using the RS2 temporarily because I truly will not be able to stand anything else once the time comes...
Just build your dad's HT veeerrrryyyy sllooooowwwwllllyyy . . . . . . . :p:p

I am still going to do it though.:D
Here is a shopping selection of JVC decals, ranging from $2-$9. Slap one on the Sony and give it to him! :p:p

strube

strube

I see an AVS thread discussing the new 2010 JVC projector models. Hopefully that means I can get in on some B-stock or discounted 2009 projectors once I start my job in December... :)

strube

strube

Well, I got the RS2 set up...

Positives:

Only 11 hours on the bulb - not to shabby. :)
Excellent picture right out of the box, though a bit of tweaking will certainly improve it some more.

Negatives:

Extremely loud, even on non-high altitude mode - louder than any projector I have ever worked with (perhaps JVC didn't concern themselves with the noise when they refurbished it, and perhaps the fan noise is why it was returned in the first place :confused:). I will measure the noise with my SPL meter at the listening position later to find out exactly how loud it is. I am thinking my dad is going to be very unhappy with this, as he watches a lot of quiet drama-type films.

Jostenmeat, do you find your RS1 to be extraordinarily loud?

It overheated in about 10 minutes of TDK blu-ray on low fan mode, so I am hoping they didn't clean the filter when they refurbished it, otherwise it may have to be operated in high altitude mode, increasing the fan noise even more. Even though we live at 7200 ft, we have never had to run a projector in high altitude mode before because it is always cool (low to mid 60's) in the theaters I have put projectors in, and they always have breathing space. :mad:

I am a bit disappointed, but I suppose there is always risks with a refurbished unit. I will clean the filter, give it a few movies (if it will make it through them) in high altitude mode, and go from there. I better get back to work...

Strube

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Negatives:

Extremely loud, even on non-high altitude mode - louder than any projector I have ever worked with (perhaps JVC didn't concern themselves with the noise when they refurbished it, and perhaps the fan noise is why it was returned in the first place :confused:). I will measure the noise with my SPL meter at the listening position later to find out exactly how loud it is. I am thinking my dad is going to be very unhappy with this, as he watches a lot of quiet drama-type films.
Man, that sucks, I'm sorry. (Is LCOS tech really dependent on altitude, the way plasmas might be with less gas pressure?). I honestly don't know, and didn't have that understanding before.

Jostenmeat, do you find your RS1 to be extraordinarily loud?
No. When I first got it, I did remark about how I wish it was a bit quieter. In high lamp mode, it's just way too loud for me (although reviews say the difference between lamp modes is smaller than with other brands? I know the lumens difference is supposed to be smaller, however, it's still pretty significant IMO).

I think with the combination of "getting used to it", significantly treating the space, slowly using the system at louder volumes (because I found I could for the first time after double digit treatments + AS XT), that it doesn't bother me at all. I sometimes run the AC, when it's hot, and that makes way more noise than the PJ.

Depending on the zoom capability, it might be worth looking into having the unit directly overhead, if not even a bit in front of you, because the vents are on the front. However, the bit I remember about your room, I have a strong feeling that will be tough at best.

It overheated in about 10 minutes of TDK blu-ray on low fan mode, so I am hoping they didn't clean the filter when they refurbished it, otherwise it may have to be operated in high altitude mode, increasing the fan noise even more. Even though we live at 7200 ft, we have never had to run a projector in high altitude mode before because it is always cool (low to mid 60's) in the theaters I have put projectors in, and they always have breathing space. :mad:
Overheating, as in some sensor? Or it just seems to run hotter than your old unit? Hmmmmmmm....

I am a bit disappointed, but I suppose there is always risks with a refurbished unit. I will clean the filter, give it a few movies (if it will make it through them) in high altitude mode, and go from there. I better get back to work...

Strube
I'd contact Jason/AVS about this, if not other owners as well. I will try searching around a bit today for you. FYI, I'll be gone for the next 5 days, so I can't be around to help you for a while after today.

strube

strube

Man, that sucks, I'm sorry. (Is LCOS tech really dependent on altitude, the way plasmas might be with less gas pressure?). I honestly don't know, and didn't have that understanding before.
Really the concept of LCoS is pretty much the same as LCD but one is reflection-based and the other is transmission-based, if that makes sense. The high altitude issue for projectors is just that at higher altitudes, the air density is much lower, so a fan cannot pull as much air-mass through the system at a certain RPM, meaning less cooling is going on in the system, and those lamps need an awful lot of cooling.

No. When I first got it, I did remark about how I wish it was a bit quieter. In high lamp mode, it's just way too loud for me (although reviews say the difference between lamp modes is smaller than with other brands? I know the lumens difference is supposed to be smaller, however, it's still pretty significant IMO).
Maybe I am just being OCD and it isn't that loud, but I PM'ed Jason at AVS (perhaps I should email him instead?) and remarked that it was significantly louder than expected, and in relation to other projectors I have experienced. I also asked if he recommended warrantying it.

I think with the combination of "getting used to it", significantly treating the space, slowly using the system at louder volumes (because I found I could for the first time after double digit treatments + AS XT), that it doesn't bother me at all. I sometimes run the AC, when it's hot, and that makes way more noise than the PJ.
I would probably compare the AC system at my parents house to the noise level of the PJ, but once I got TDK up and the score was going, I didn't really notice it. It is also vibrating my oak enclosure, which is contributing to the noise. I think it may be substantially decreased if I were to isolate the vibration, and possibly treat the inside of the enclosure with some absorption pads or the like.

Depending on the zoom capability, it might be worth looking into having the unit directly overhead, if not even a bit in front of you, because the vents are on the front. However, the bit I remember about your room, I have a strong feeling that will be tough at best.
We can put it wherever we want in his new theater, but directly overhead will be near the back wall due to the shape of his room and we can only go forward from there. In my room it is directly overhead simply because that is where I mounted my box. I could move the whole thing, but there is not really any point to that since I will only be using the PJ for a month or two.

Overheating, as in some sensor? Or it just seems to run hotter than your old unit? Hmmmmmmm....
- as in shutting down and turning on the temp warning light. I had to wait 10 minutes before I could turn it back on again. Part of the problem may be the tight quarters of my projector mounting method (the JVC is substantially larger than the Sony), but then again, the intake and outlet are on the front, though apparently there is a small filtered intake on the bottom as well.

I'd contact Jason/AVS about this, if not other owners as well. I will try searching around a bit today for you. FYI, I'll be gone for the next 5 days, so I can't be around to help you for a while after today.
Thanks again for all of your help, sir. It is greatly appreciated. I sent him a PM and we will see what happens. I am going to set the feet on some felt pads to eliminate some of the vibration today, and see how the cooling thing goes. If my dad is okay with the noise and it runs fine with the high altitude setting from a heat standpoint we will call it good, but otherwise I may just have to do a warranty on it right out of the box...

Last edited:
M

MarkMac

Audiophyte
strube-
I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you are having. I am on the fence right now about taking advantage of this offer, and I have been following this thread for the past couple days. Your situation has me very concerned. I'm sorry you are the guinea pig in this, but please post any additional thoughts you have or feedback you receive from AVS.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
10 min to overheat means something is wrong. Otherwise, maybe one of those Auralex gramma pads meant for subs could work as for isolation. Still, something seems wrong for sure. I'll check back in several hours.

S

septim

Audioholic
Well I set up my RS2 yesterday. The projector looks brand new and was delighted to find 0 hours on the bulb :D

In terms of loudness I would say its a tad louder than the Mitsubish HC5000 I had (which was practically silent) and on par or a little bit more quiet than my AE3000.

PQ-wise its just breathtaking right out of the box. I put it to 2.4 gamma and adjusted the brightness/contrast as per Gouger's settings and I popped in In Bruges on Blu Ray and it stunned everyone.

I have a question about setting IRE, I can't seem to find the spot to adjust this. TIA.

And strube I am very sorry to hear things are not going well. I hope that you get this resolved quickly and you can enjoy your RS2 as well.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
- as in shutting down and turning on the temp warning light. I had to wait 10 minutes before I could turn it back on again. Part of the problem may be the tight quarters of my projector mounting method (the JVC is substantially larger than the Sony), but then again, the intake and outlet are on the front, though apparently there is a small filtered intake on the bottom as well.
strube, I ran the search engine a couple times. Interestingly, there is some "long screw" issue. Uh, I think it might be the feet screws that could be too long when the feet are removed (for putting on mount, etc), but since your feet are most certainly still on, I doubt this is the case.

IF* these are the screws that represent the long screw issue, they are said to press against some plastic, or other structure, that somehow might cause overheating.

The above are just topical impressions (assuming I've read correctly), could be wrong, but might as well post them.

Searching "temperature" is difficult, because of "color temp". No hits on "temperature sensor".

I'm afraid this unit is most likely going back. I hope they do you right. It's really strange to me that this wasn't QC'd. :(

*to septim, I'm glad you like it! You are not too disappointed with motion, seeing that you were before using FI + game mode? I've even read that the RS1 might be better with motion that the RS2 today, while running searches.

strube

strube

strube, I ran the search engine a couple times. Interestingly, there is some "long screw" issue. Uh, I think it might be the feet screws that could be too long when the feet are removed (for putting on mount, etc), but since your feet are most certainly still on, I doubt this is the case.

IF* these are the screws that represent the long screw issue, they are said to press against some plastic, or other structure, that somehow might cause overheating.

The above are just topical impressions (assuming I've read correctly), could be wrong, but might as well post them.

Searching "temperature" is difficult, because of "color temp". No hits on "temperature sensor".

I'm afraid this unit is most likely going back. I hope they do you right. It's really strange to me that this wasn't QC'd. :(

*to septim, I'm glad you like it! You are not too disappointed with motion, seeing that you were before using FI + game mode? I've even read that the RS1 might be better with motion that the RS2 today, while running searches.
Thanks for checking up on that and for all the info, man. I have been really busy with other stuff so I haven't got back to it yet. I guess it won't be a huge hurry as I have so many other things going on right now, but I will take a look at what you found and go from there. I haven't heard back from Jason so I am going to shoot him an email tomorrow. Talk to you in a few days. Have a great week! :)

S

septim

Audioholic
After watching In Bruges and Underworld Rise of the Lycans I can say that watching in straight unaltered 24p is much more filmic and I prefer it. So far any blur has been nothing I haven't been accustomed to before on LCD based pjs.

S

Sherardp

Audioholic
OK here are some thoughts, the previous JVC models the RS1 or RS2 do run a tad bit louder. If you are comparing it to a different PJ then yes I will say the RS2 is louder than most. The owner of my HD1 compared it to a Epson 1080 and said the same exact thing so yes they do tend to run a bit louder.

As for over heating, can you tell me how you have the projector mounted, if you have it on a table top then no you should not be experiencing overheating issues. If you have the PJ ceiling mounted then I would suggest checking the screw length used in the PJ. Other owners have used screws that were too long and it will cause overheating due to the screws going way to far in the PJ casing affecting cooling. This has been sited at AVS as well.

If you want a quiet PJ but a stunning image, send the RS2 back and get an RS10/20, the newer JVCs are very quiet. Share your thoughts and I hope you get it worked out.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis