JVC RS2 B Stock Blowout Special While They Last...

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
Dang, I know I will get to see this thing in action plenty, but you guys are about to make me cry like a little girl because I couldn't order a second one for myself too. ;)

This job that I am going to start in December better pay good enough to get me into the RS10 or a blowout sale on RS20 B stock!! :D

S

septim

Audioholic
Well my AE3000 sold almost instantly when I posted it on eBay. Must have priced it too low :confused:. Anyways I have a couple options. Get a slightly used one with a more limited warranty (ends in November) for about $2060, or get a B-stock with 2 year warranty for $2299.

What a tough call. The used unit has no bright corners and no mis-alignment with almost perfect convergence and a little over 100 hours on the bulb.

The B-stock might be a bit more of a gamble (although I asked Jason at AVS and he said that if units were returned for said issues JVC would have fixed them). I could get a brand new bulb or one with up to 50 hours on it. The real thing in its favor is the warranty. The one piece of electronics where the warranties have come in handy are my projectors.

UGHHH agonizing! What would you guys do in my shoes?

strube

strube

Well my AE3000 sold almost instantly when I posted it on eBay. Must have priced it too low :confused:. Anyways I have a couple options. Get a slightly used one with a more limited warranty (ends in November) for about $2060, or get a B-stock with 2 year warranty for $2299.

What a tough call. The used unit has no bright corners and no mis-alignment with almost perfect convergence and a little over 100 hours on the bulb.

The B-stock might be a bit more of a gamble (although I asked Jason at AVS and he said that if units were returned for said issues JVC would have fixed them). I could get a brand new bulb or one with up to 50 hours on it. The real thing in its favor is the warranty. The one piece of electronics where the warranties have come in handy are my projectors.

I would get the one with the warranty from AVS, hands down. I am sure any issues were repaired, just as Jason said.

I think you should probably trust JVC's quality control - I doubt these are the best projectors under $10k because JVC is lazy...

I also honestly think it would be a mistake to get the used one with almost zero warranty just from my experiences with the Optoma projector I had to warranty 3 times...

May I ask what you sold the AE3000 for?

S

septim

Audioholic
I would get the one with the warranty from AVS, hands down. I am sure any issues were repaired, just as Jason said.

I think you should probably trust JVC's quality control - I doubt these are the best projectors under $10k because JVC is lazy...

I also honestly think it would be a mistake to get the used one with almost zero warranty just from my experiences with the Optoma projector I had to warranty 3 times...

May I ask what you sold the AE3000 for?
I sold it for $1950 shipped. It had 178 hrs on bulb. I'm probably leaning on the side of the B-stock now.

strube

strube

I sold it for $1950 shipped. It had 178 hrs on bulb. I'm probably leaning on the side of the B-stock now.
I wouldn't wait too long now that you have sold your Panny. I was under the impression that they were about out of the B-stock when I ordered mine yesterday morning, but maybe I am mistaken...

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I share the exact same concerns. I would not have sold it until, at the absolute bare minimum, I had ordered the new one. To take it further, I probably wouldn't even sell it until I had them side by side, and then sell the loser. I was hoping that you would.

Now, I'm a little concerned. My fingers are crossed for ya.

S

septim

Audioholic
I wouldn't wait too long now that you have sold your Panny. I was under the impression that they were about out of the B-stock when I ordered mine yesterday morning, but maybe I am mistaken...
Well I did it :D:D:D.

I figure if anything doesn't meet my standards I have the warranty to back me up.:p

S

septim

Audioholic
I share the exact same concerns. I would not have sold it until, at the absolute bare minimum, I had ordered the new one. To take it further, I probably wouldn't even sell it until I had them side by side, and then sell the loser. I was hoping that you would.

Now, I'm a little concerned. My fingers are crossed for ya.
Oh believe me I wish I could have. Unfortunately my funds won't allow that, also with my luck I would have had both and wouldn't have been able to sell the other. Also I'm going out of town this coming week so I wouldn't have been able to do much of a comparison anyways.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Oh believe me I wish I could have. Unfortunately my funds won't allow that, also with my luck I would have had both and wouldn't have been able to sell the other. Also I'm going out of town this coming week so I wouldn't have been able to do much of a comparison anyways.
Welp, congratulations! both on the sale, AND the purchase. :)

I think that JVC is basically for the film buff. Movies first and foremost, or even exclusively. There are a couple of vocal detractors about how the JVC looks with motion, and since you were using FI, with game mode, etc, and are a gamer anyways.... this is my first concern. Second is the possible significance in the difference of real world lumens.

Now, I've heard it scientifically explained that the JVC could not suffer from motion issues anymore than other PJs of similar tech. Dunno. I've found that it's mostly source based. For instance, since I don't have TV, the only sports I think I've seen on it so far is the best of UFC '08, and there's zero blur on that disc.

anyways, just how good is your light control, septim? The more of a batcave it can look like, the better you get to enjoy the class leading blacks.

strube

strube

Jostenmeat, I was wondering what kind of screen gain you recommend for the RS2.

I was looking at a Carada Criterion 110" at a throw distance of 12'6" from the screen to the lens, which will be using about 2/3 of the zoom. We will also be right around 12'6" seating distance (giving an angle from the edges of the screen to the center seat of 35.5 degrees). I have the options of 1.0 or 1.4 white screens, or a 0.8 high contrast gray screen. I don't know the gain on the screen in his old room for all his other projectors, and I am not sure we even had the option when we bought that screen...

The room, which I will be tearing down to the studs and wiring then also probably hanging drywall and painting myself, will have dark walls, carpet, and ceiling (though possibly lighter than the walls) with no windows and one door - i.e. we can go as "batcave" as we desire. We will have some sconce lighting on the back wall with a dimmer on it that we like to turn up a little bit on rare occasion for playing video games or eating some of the messier snacks. Unfortunately we only have 7' ceilings to work with, but that is how it goes. Hopefully we can fit the center channel reasonably under the screen - we may have to tilt it up a bit for the best sound...

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Jostenmeat, I was wondering what kind of screen gain you recommend for the RS2.
Toughie.

I was looking at a Carada Criterion 110" at a throw distance of 12'6" from the screen to the lens, which will be using about 2/3 of the zoom. We will also be right around 12'6" seating distance (giving an angle from the edges of the screen to the center seat of 35.5 degrees). I have the options of 1.0 or 1.4 white screens, or a 0.8 high contrast gray screen. I don't know the gain on the screen in his old room for all his other projectors, and I am not sure we even had the option when we bought that screen...
Firstly, you can just forget about the gray. You don't need any contrast boost when your PJ says JVC on it. If it's a cave, I don't think you need any gain at 110". That said, I am under the strong impression that most gain ratings are over-rated. For instance, there's a consumer who had 5 screen materials in his home, and an Elite 1.8 completely paled next to the HP he calculated at 2.0 with angles. Then others say that sometimes 1.3 vs 1.0 is barely discernible at all (but it should be).

Since it's Carada, I give the benefit of the doubt that there is gain. Higher gain angular reflective screens do boost brightness, but typically sacrifice uniformity, and are more prone to hotspotting. Since you are only considering angular reflective, dark ceiling is a big bonus. If say you were using retroreflective, where the light is directed exactly back at where the PJ is, the back wall actually gets a lot of benefit, depending on the setup as a whole.

As with anything else, I'd just put the PJ in first on the screen you have. AFTER that, you can figure out if want to enjoy the blacks more, or have it brighter, etc. You might end up changing the viewing angle as well, who knows. (Which changes things: if say you doubled the screen size, for discussion's sake, getting a true 2.0 gain would have the exact same brightness and blacks as half the size at 1.0).

Really though, because you can, go dark everywhere. Sidewalls, floor, etc.

The room, which I will be tearing down to the studs and wiring then also probably hanging drywall and painting myself, will have dark walls, carpet, and ceiling (though possibly lighter than the walls) with no windows and one door - i.e. we can go as "batcave" as we desire. We will have some sconce lighting on the back wall with a dimmer on it that we like to turn up a little bit on rare occasion for playing video games or eating some of the messier snacks. Unfortunately we only have 7' ceilings to work with, but that is how it goes. Hopefully we can fit the center channel reasonably under the screen - we may have to tilt it up a bit for the best sound...
Definitely tilt it. If it's too close to floor, as it is with mine, treating the floor may prove to benefit you in reducing midbass peaking. I don't know if your pops is anywhere as interested in audio as with video, but I cannot recommend treating the room more. If you can only afford a handful of panels to begin with, I say front corners for bass, and first sidewall points.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
A couple more pennies: If I was going as "modestly" as 110", and going Carada of all brands, I would actually consider spending the great amount for their new automated masking system. My screen size is a little more than double 110", and so fuhgedaboutit, but very cool... While it's a LOT of money, it's still going to be a bargain compared to other existing brands.

Also, there's a particular crazy build I've been following, and some people like these adjustable center speaker stands.

sound anchor

edited pic for 16:9; first pic was for scope, sorry

C

captain-joe

Audiophyte

Well I was about to order a AE3000 B-Stock for $1850 when I discovered the RS2 B-Stock at AVS.

After reading the reviews I decided to go for the RS2 and ordered it yesterday from Jason.

Since I'll always wonder how it compares to the AE3000, maybe once you get yours set-up you can write a review?

Thanks

strube

strube

Since it's Carada, I give the benefit of the doubt that there is gain. Higher gain angular reflective screens do boost brightness, but typically sacrifice uniformity, and are more prone to hotspotting. Since you are only considering angular reflective, dark ceiling is a big bonus. If say you were using retroreflective, where the light is directed exactly back at where the PJ is, the back wall actually gets a lot of benefit, depending on the setup as a whole.

As with anything else, I'd just put the PJ in first on the screen you have. AFTER that, you can figure out if want to enjoy the blacks more, or have it brighter, etc. You might end up changing the viewing angle as well, who knows. (Which changes things: if say you doubled the screen size, for discussion's sake, getting a true 2.0 gain would have the exact same brightness and blacks as half the size at 1.0).

Really though, because you can, go dark everywhere. Sidewalls, floor, etc.
We probably won't set up the JVC at his current house at all because of the moving issues, but I think it would be better to check it against my Carada than his old VueTech or whatever it is anyway. I will put it on my 92" 1.0 gain Carada and see what we think before we order his screen. Obviously his screen will be a bit larger, so I will have to take that into consideration and maybe set up the projector location a bit differently to reach similar zoom and viewing angles that we will have in his new room.

Definitely tilt it. If it's too close to floor, as it is with mine, treating the floor may prove to benefit you in reducing midbass peaking. I don't know if your pops is anywhere as interested in audio as with video, but I cannot recommend treating the room more. If you can only afford a handful of panels to begin with, I say front corners for bass, and first sidewall points.
I am pretty sure he wants it to sound good, but not as good as I want it to sound for him, so I try to talk him into whatever I can to improve it. I think the padded carpet will be all I can get him to do for the floor, but I think I have him sold on 2" ATS Acoustics panels behind each speaker and at some of the first reflection points, as well as a 4" panel in the corner on the left side of the room. The only problem I am honestly very concerned about is the brick fireplace that takes up most of the right wall about 5 feet from the right channel speaker, as I am pretty sure he won't want to hang a panel or two or three on the brick, but I am going to have to see what I can do. Maybe at least I can get him to put a couple 2'x2' panels above the hearth, or a trap in the corner...

Thanks again for your recommendations! :)

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
but I think I have him sold on 2" ATS Acoustics panels behind each speaker and at some of the first reflection points, as well as a 4" panel in the corner on the left side of the room.
For some reason, deadening the front wall is a very popular thing with HT enthusiasts, but you get a lot less bang for buck here, when compared to corner trapping (particularly front wall) and 1st reflections, particularly sidewalls. Now, if they were dipoles, electrostats, that's different, but with monopoles in the typical setup, I'd put em elsewhere first.

The only problem I am honestly very concerned about is the brick fireplace that takes up most of the wall about 6 feet to the right of the right channel speaker, as I am pretty sure he won't want to hang a panel or two or three on the brick, but I am going to have to see what I can do. Maybe at least I can get him to put a couple 2'x2' panels above the hearth, or a trap in the corner...
Without the clearest image in my head, I say don't worry about it.

Thanks again for your recommendations! :)
My pleasure, anytime.

strube

strube

A couple more pennies: If I was going as "modestly" as 110", and going Carada of all brands, I would actually consider spending the great amount for their new automated masking system. My screen size is a little more than double 110", and so fuhgedaboutit, but very cool... While it's a LOT of money, it's still going to be a bargain compared to other existing brands.
Oh believe me, I tried to talk him into a lot of things including the Masquerade system, a CIH system with a 2.35:1 screen and an anamporphic lens (that one would have been easier with the Panasonic's lens memory so we didn't need the spendy lens), and an SI Black Diamond II screen, but I think that $800 and change price tag of the 110" Carada screen is how I got him to accept that he could afford acoustic treatments as well, and I am thinking with this projector he will be pretty happy with it, especially because it is such an improvement over his last screen simply because of the beveled velvet frame. If he had a higher ceiling, I would have him sold on the 126" screen, but no such luck. :D

Also, there's a particular crazy build I've been following, and some people like these adjustable center speaker stands.
We will probably build our own stand as we are both particularly handy with the woodworking, and his center channel is the ridiculously huge Paradigm Monitor CC-390.

strube

strube

Well I was about to order a AE3000 B-Stock for $1850 when I discovered the RS2 B-Stock at AVS.

After reading the reviews I decided to go for the RS2 and ordered it yesterday from Jason.

Since I'll always wonder how it compares to the AE3000, maybe once you get yours set-up you can write a review?

Thanks
Will do! Hopefully it ships before the weekend.

S

septim

Audioholic
Gah! Now I'm even more confused. The guy with the used RS2 is willing to do $2000 shipped and throw in a chief mount, the warranty expires in November as it is the HD100 version which has a 1 year warranty.

I don't really know what appeals to me more. A lovingly cared for sparingly used PJ, or a B-stock which was either returned or used for a demo with probably brand new bulb. I have to weigh bulb and warranty versus saving $300. The used one has 113 hours on the bulb.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis