JBL Studio 530 - Are They Real or an Illusion?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
OK, the grills are back on - and I am fine with it.
The speakers have broken me in some more.

The audio world continues to turn.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Zieg, before I forget to mention it, again, thanks for the write up!

I think BSA said at one point they were selling for $350 - $400.00? not too long ago.

What are you using to power them?

I wish some one would take on a pair of 590's and give a review. Yes, that's a dare if need be. :D

D

dwaleke

Enthusiast
Amazing - Amazon/World Wide Stereo, now has price at list - $689.00
Amazon.com: JBL Studio 530 Two-Way Bookshelf Loudspeakers (Pair, Black): Electronics

However, Harman Audio/JBL - has them at $599 with free shipping
Harman Audio - STUDIO 530BK

Amazon and their marketplace dealers can be funny.
I just picked up a pair for 580s and the matching 520c center. Price was good on the 580s so I'll test them out. Shipping back to Amazon usually doesn't cost much and I'm curious how these sound.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Zieg, before I forget to mention it, again, thanks for the write up!

I think BSA said at one point they were selling for $350 - $400.00? not too long ago.

What are you using to power them?
You are welcome!

There was a rare sale which is rare for $369, and that is what I paid - however, based on
their performance - I would pay the full $599 >> however, sometimes they do go on sale
for around $479 to $499 if you can catch it, and it can happen again, since they have come
out with what does look like, a lower quality Studio 2 series. > The Studio 5 looks like they
may be phased out.

I am using an 80 watt Pioneer Elite receiver and 90 watt Denon receiver, to drive them >>
with no automatic EQ - I fired the automatic EQ stuff a while back - The only thing I would
EQ, would be from 200 hz down.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I just picked up a pair for 580s and the matching 520c center. Price was good on the 580s so I'll test them out. Shipping back to Amazon usually doesn't cost much and I'm curious how these sound.
Good deal, I hope you enjoy them - who knows, maybe my ears are filled with wax.:)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I wish some one would take on a pair of 590's and give a review. Yes, that's a dare if need be. :D
A rotating look of the JBL Studio 590 > It seems JBL is concentrating on
good crossover work for the Studio 5 series.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
The one I have are gifts, so I would never sell them. I think I'm quite satisfied with what I have. I can't even enjoy them, well you know apartments. If I ever own a home:( I may get those. I sure am glad you are enjoying them.

Last edited by a moderator:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The one I have are gifts, so I would never sell them. I think I'm quite satisfied with what I have. I can't even enjoy them, well you know apartments. If I ever own a home:( I may get those. I sure am glad you are enjoying them.
Continue to enjoy!

Forget about the so-called 86 db sensitiity on JBL -
because they are easy to drive, and can get Loud.

Last edited by a moderator:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
They would look nice - on the Starship Enterprise! :)

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
So, I talked with the Harman rep at an event a few months back, and he assured me that the 500 series was still very much available. But, despite the great things that JBL has to say about them, the lack of stock at outlets like Amazon, and the continuation of the Studio L series and the apparent dilution of the "studio" brand with the 2 series, seems to carve out a strange future for these speakers. It's too bad because, as a JBL fanboy, I was really excited to see the trickle down of Timber Everest design to the mass market. And, I do like the look...as long as it's not form over function.

Maybe I'm reading into the tea leaves too much. Many thanks to those who have laid ears on and provided their impressions. I hope there is a future for these speakers, perhaps in a true "Everest Ultra Light" positioned above the Studio L to compete with/compliment the mid- and upper-tier Revels.

G

gtgray

Audiophyte
bad robot.com claims to be an authorized dealer 530 at $479.95 per pair. They claim availability in 2-3 days. Around $640 each on the 580s

JBL Studio 530BK | bad robot Store

I got the bookshelves at the $369 price on the sale day a couple weeks ago.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis