JBL Studio 530 - Are They Real or an Illusion?

F

fish

Audiophyte
Dialogue is one of the strong points - how big of a room are you talking about ?
I can hear the voices from them in another room - while I am typing this post.:)
Well, what I'm trying to find out is, if the waveguide on the 5 series (590 in particular) is capable enough to be used for left/right & still spread the dialogue in a large room without using the undersized "matching" center. In my case, 22'w X 25'd X 10'h open floor plan. Center listening position is 10' away from mains, listening area only spans 6' across. The closest I could get the L/R towers is about 8' away from each other, but have plenty of room to the nearest sidewall (about 7') in this position. Would this be a wise move?

Something that really concerns me is JBL's customer service. So far it's been pretty much non-existent, & all I've done is called & emailed them a couple times regarding these speakers. It's pretty bad when technical support can't understand what I'm saying, usually it's the other way around.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Well, what I'm trying to find out is, if the waveguide on the 5 series (590 in particular) is capable enough to be used for left/right & still spread the dialogue in a large room without using the undersized "matching" center. In my case, 22'w X 25'd X 10'h open floor plan. Center listening position is 10' away from mains, listening area only spans 6' across. The closest I could get the L/R towers is about 8' away from each other, but have plenty of room to the nearest sidewall (about 7') in this position. Would this be a wise move?

Something that really concerns me is JBL's customer service. So far it's been pretty much non-existent, & all I've done is called & emailed them a couple times regarding these speakers. It's pretty bad when technical support can't understand what I'm saying, usually it's the other way around.
With customer support - who knows what people from what country, you are talking to.

To be honest, I am not concerned about your room size with the 590's. I believe they can
easily handle that room - and throw a nice central image for dialogue in the listening area.

Your option and call

Also, there are some people using the center with the 590 towers - however, phantom
center is still a nice option for you.

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Fish, you're welcome to have a listen to my setup if you'd like. Obviously the JBL studio's are quite a bit more expensive, but the more you listen the more you understand what you want.

V

vuksha

Audiophyte
HI, i owe you all a new information.
i wrongly interpreted what is the "-" markings on my micro line tiny speaker cables.
you probably guess it - the jbl's were not properly connected.
now the sound is full with no distinctive hollow character .
sorry for the bad review.
when i buy bigger amp maybe i will write short review.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
HI, i owe you all a new information.
i wrongly interpreted what is the "-" markings on my micro line tiny speaker cables.
you probably guess it - the jbl's were not properly connected.
now the sound is full with no distinctive hollow character .
sorry for the bad review.
when i buy bigger amp maybe i will write short review.
Thank You, that is cool

Most (big majority) of us, do believe and hear an all around balance sound.

Continue to enjoy.

M

magi44ken

Audiophyte
I'm glad you have work out the issue now, Vuksha. Someone recently wrote a review from Amazon also experience a hollow sound with vocal. I wonder if it not properly setup like your case.

V

vuksha

Audiophyte
Hi magi44ken,
thanks for interesting link.
i wish i didn't sympathize with everything the reviewer wrote but even after i connected the
speakers correctly there is a "slight".... irritation.
i probably can live with the compromise but i do expect further improvement with bigger and better amplifier and
maybe some tone control both in bass and treble.

when the reviewer wrote "slight" and "subtle" i think he really means it> so i don't think he wrongly
connected the speakers.
but who knows..?
i wish i had a few speakers/amplifiers/bigger room to play and compare but that is not possible.
soon i will probably buy denon rcd m39 which is several times more powerful and significantly more refined than my current setup.

My room has much absorbing furniture, big carpet and a curtain behind the speakers
but other 3 walls are clean concrete walls. and it is not a big room. 12x16 ft.(correction).

V

vuksha

Audiophyte
today i had the opportunity to listen to denon pma 520ae on jbl. i my room. for 2 hours.
there was no harshness in treble, finally. compared to my cheap low power old sanyo micro line
the sound was heavy and dark. i was surprised by the difference.
again )).
now i would like to hear some rich, warm sounding and a bit more brighter amp. 30w could be ok.

J

JohnMichael

Audiophyte
I am new to the site and I was pleased to read so many positives about the Studio 530's. A little late to the party but I have been enjoying my pair since October 2012. They have been the first affordable horn loaded speakers I could enjoy. They do some things better than other speakers I own.

I do use my speakers without the grill but I have the panel inserted that completes the geometry of the horn. They are on Sanus SF 22 inch stands which brings the horn about ear level. Imaging is great, timing is excellent and are the most musically involving speakers I own. Bring your air guitars, batons to conduct and good luck keeping your feet still.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I am new to the site and I was pleased to read so many positives about the Studio 530's. A little late to the party but I have been enjoying my pair since October 2012. They have been the first affordable horn loaded speakers I could enjoy. They do some things better than other speakers I own.
I have read your review - you do not have wax in your ears!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I have read your review - you do not have wax in your ears!
Zieg, thanks for this write-up on the 530's. Find it very interesting. In fact, I am down right excited that I ordered the 530's! However, there is NOT much out there regarding the 520c. Do you happen to have any insights on the 520c?

HT is not all that important to me, but I do like to watch a BR every once in a while. Sometimes, my 40" LED TV sounds a little garbled too. Keep in mind, my room is NOT that big. Basically, it s 12' X 15' x 8' or 1440 ft.^3. My MLP is 8.1' from my front-stage. Do you think that the 520c will work well in my room? Bit concerned with the 520c only employing 4" mids. Maybe that is a good thing, no?

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Oh BTW, do you still have some pics of the 17-element X-over? Just curious to see it. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I really love the 530 and 590 sound, and value. I wonder what they would cost if MDF cabinets had real Walnut veneer surfaces instead of wood grain vinyl. That's the only thing stopping me from getting both, in addition to the center channel speaker. I think the fake cherry and the black Oak veneers make the speakers look cheap. It's not the experience I want even though the sound rivals speakers in the JBL Synthesis line. I have even thought about buying and sending to a fine furniture cabinet shop to have some really beautiful veneer placed over the factory surface.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I really love the 530 and 590 sound, and value. I wonder what they would cost if MDF cabinets had real Walnut veneer surfaces instead of wood grain vinyl. That's the only thing stopping me from getting both, in addition to the center channel speaker. I think the fake cherry and the black Oak veneers make the speakers look cheap. It's not the experience I want even though the sound rivals speakers in the JBL Synthesis line. I have even thought about buying and sending to a fine furniture cabinet shop to have some really beautiful veneer placed over the factory surface.
Hey, Ty albeit @Tyler Acoustics could fix you right up. Not sure what he would charge for that. If you are interested, send Ty an email at tyleracoustics@mindspring.com . Here is his website:

http://tyleracoustics.com/

Cheers,

Phil

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Any good cabinet maker can do it easily. Where the cost comes in is the time to hand rub the finish. Your talking multiple coats, sanding, and the final buff

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Oh BTW, do you still have some pics of the 17-element X-over? Just curious to see it. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil
Instead of 18 element, I will call it 18 parts to the crossover.

I have not listened to the 520C - however there have been no major complaints.
I do not see you having any real problems with the 520C - Also take note that the
surrounds on the 520C woofers are big.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Instead of 18 element, I will call it 18 parts to the crossover.

I have not listened to the 520C - however there have been no major complaints.
I do not see you having any real problems with the 520C - Also take note that the
surrounds on the 520C woofers are big.

Wow! Looks impressive to me. Really likes your review Zieg. Glad to know that the 520c sounds like a good center. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Phil

DD66000

DD66000

Senior Audioholic
I've auditioned the 530, 570....excellent is the term i use.
As far the 530 being -6 db @ 45 hz is not something one needs to give much thought to.
I've never heard another 5 1/4" speaker with the bass the 530 has.
the entire Studio 5 series is far above most speakers available.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I've auditioned the 530, 570....excellent is the term i use.
As far the 530 being -6 db @ 45 hz is not something one needs to give much thought to.
I've never heard another 5 1/4" speaker with the bass the 530 has.
the entire Studio 5 series is far above most speakers available.
I agree on all accounts. Never have I heard a 5 1/4" mid deliver bass with decent extension, as well as, being very articulate. Love my 530's and the 520c combination! Highly recommend!

Cheers,

Phil

X

xyrium

Audiophyte
OMG, I can't believe I still have to wait until August 14th to try these out!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis