JBL Studio 530 - Are They Real or an Illusion?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I for sure feel, and say they are the real thing. Now for ones who may
be offended or turned off by horn tweeters - then this thread may not
be for you.

They are transparent, smooth, with a spacious big soundstage - that has
good imaging, detail and definition. > Compared to the Snell K7, with a
Seas dome tweeter > the 530 bi-radial horn speaker, is neither forward or
laid back, and I feel that I am being drawn into the stage and not pushed
back. Is the Studio 530 speaker so-called perfect, no >> however they are
real good, and come real close to my nit-picking needs

Trumpet, Saxophone, Guitar, Flute, Violin, Drums and Cymbals, Piano, >
Harmonica, Female and Male voices all sound natural and rich. The 530
will not cover up Diana Kralls' somewhat raspy and sibilant voice > and
the same with Norah Jones somewhat raspy voice.

Now about that 5-1/4 inch woofer - if some are offended by woofers that
are smaller than 6 inches, then no need to read further. >> However, this
woofer has some deep, tight/controlled articulate bass. JBL did not invite
Dr. Mushy Boom to help out with the bass tuning. It nearly has the same
amount of bass as the Boston VS260 6 inch speaker, that does go down
low. > The speaker can/does handle Rap, Reggae, Rock, Electronic Dance,
Metal, Jazz, R&B and so on. And yes, it does real nice with Classic Rock. Now
that is not all it can handle - it can do Classical, Light Rock and them Oldies
but Goodies and is good with Jackie Evancho, plus Gospel music

The speaker is really clean sounding, and less colored than a lot of them so-
called popular good dome tweeters. The tweeter sits deep in the horn behind
that silver screen in the front - and the woofer sits recessed from the front
of the speaker. Greg Timbers did some good geometry work here.

They are better to me than their current $599 street price >>and hold up well
against the $1250 retail price, of the Snell K7. So to me, they are in the same
so-called subjective league of $600 to $800 range speakers > and above some
of them. The modded Cambridge S30 got knocked off the shelf

With these speakers, I toe them in about 2 inches and they need 12 inches from
the back wall, and should be at least 18 inches from the side walls. They do sound
a little better with the grill off, and connecting the provided fiberglass bottom horn
piece in. The bean counter had a tight hold on the design/engineering team - they
did not finish the bottom of the speaker. Now for some, if looks kill, then this 530
speaker may not be for you. Sound wise they are worth it - JBL did good on this one.
There seems to be a lot of people out there, who agree with me on this - unless
we all have our ears filled with wax.:)

Yes, they are solid for Home theater use, with their big bass - and can get Loud.

I will continue to recommend them at their current $600 street price. Another owner
is ready to move his NHT Classic Three and PSB speakers out.

Last edited:
Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Everyone seems to have them in black, not the finish you show. At least in the pictures, the "cherry" finish looks much better than black. Is the veneer vinyl, or real wood? (Judging from the fact that they do not seem to be bragging about it, my guess is that it is the cheaper vinyl.)

As for the size of the woofer, it is performance that matters, not the size. One sees this confusion with many people when they select a subwoofer, imagining that bigger must be better. I have some small speakers with 5 1/4" woofers that produce deeper bass, and are capable of higher volume, than some speakers I have that have larger woofers and larger cabinets. Of course, the price explains that well enough, as the smaller, better speakers retail for about 3 times as much. But even so, the bigger, cheaper ones were highly regarded in their day, and were a good value. And were regarded as producing good bass for their size and price.

Too bad JBL does not give the frequency response +/-3dB.

They have an interesting look to them, much more interesting than the plain boxes one typically sees.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Everyone seems to have them in black, not the finish you show. At least in the pictures, the "cherry" finish looks much better than black. Is the veneer vinyl, or real wood? (Judging from the fact that they do not seem to be bragging about it, my guess is that it is the cheaper vinyl.)

As for the size of the woofer, it is performance that matters, not the size. One sees this confusion with many people when they select a subwoofer, imagining that bigger must be better. I have some small speakers with 5 1/4" woofers that produce deeper bass, and are capable of higher volume, than some speakers I have that have larger woofers and larger cabinets. Of course, the price explains that well enough, as the smaller, better speakers retail for about 3 times as much. But even so, the bigger, cheaper ones were highly regarded in their day, and were a good value. And were regarded as producing good bass for their size and price.

Too bad JBL does not give the frequency response +/-3dB.

They have an interesting look to them, much more interesting than the plain boxes one typically sees.
Mine are black, they are in vinyl wrap - looks good, when you get up close -
you can see it is vinyl and neatly done.

JBL rates them -6db at 45 hz

<dt class="no-divider" style="border-top-style: none; margin: 0px 0px 1.66em; font-family: HelveticaNeueW01-65Medi, 'Helvetica Neue TT', HelveticaNeueTT, HeleticaNeue-TT, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1.2em; padding-top: 1.66em; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">Audio Specifications</dt><dd style="margin: 0px 0px 1.66em; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: FreeSans, Arimo, 'Droid Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;"><dl class="horizontal dividers" style="margin: 1em 0px;"><dt style="border: none; margin: 0px; font-family: HelveticaNeueW01-65Medi, 'Helvetica Neue TT', HelveticaNeueTT, HeleticaNeue-TT, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1em; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; float: left; width: 220px; overflow: hidden; clear: left; text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap;">Nominal Impedance</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-style: none;">6 ohms</dd><dt style="border: none; margin: 0px; font-family: HelveticaNeueW01-65Medi, 'Helvetica Neue TT', HelveticaNeueTT, HeleticaNeue-TT, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1em; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; float: left; width: 220px; overflow: hidden; clear: left; text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap;">Frequency Response</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(102, 102, 102);">(-6dB) 45Hz-40kHz</dd><dt style="border: none; margin: 0px; font-family: HelveticaNeueW01-65Medi, 'Helvetica Neue TT', HelveticaNeueTT, HeleticaNeue-TT, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1em; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; float: left; width: 220px; overflow: hidden; clear: left; text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap;">Sensitivity</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(102, 102, 102);">(2.83V@1m) 86dB</dd><dt style="border: none; margin: 0px; font-family: HelveticaNeueW01-65Medi, 'Helvetica Neue TT', HelveticaNeueTT, HeleticaNeue-TT, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1em; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; float: left; width: 220px; overflow: hidden; clear: left; text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap;">Crossover Frequencies</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(102, 102, 102);">1.5kHz</dd></dl></dd>

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for the writeup Z. Always wanted to try a horn tweeter. Might have to wait for an Holiday sale for these. Yeah weird looking, but I want.:D

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the writeup Z. Always wanted to try a horn tweeter. Might have to wait for an Holiday sale for these. Yeah weird looking, but I want.:D
Are you trying to say that you really do not, or never owned a Klipsch speaker?:)

However the JBL speaker is nice - and brings a different comfortable sonic character,
compared to the Klipsch Reference.

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
JBL rates them -6db at 45 hz

<dt class="no-divider" style="border-top-style: none; margin: 0px 0px 1.66em; font-family: HelveticaNeueW01-65Medi, 'Helvetica Neue TT', HelveticaNeueTT, HeleticaNeue-TT, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1.2em; padding-top: 1.66em; color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">Audio Specifications</dt><dd style="margin: 0px 0px 1.66em; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: FreeSans, Arimo, 'Droid Sans', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;"><dl class="horizontal dividers" style="margin: 1em 0px;"><dt style="border: none; margin: 0px; font-family: HelveticaNeueW01-65Medi, 'Helvetica Neue TT', HelveticaNeueTT, HeleticaNeue-TT, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1em; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; float: left; width: 220px; overflow: hidden; clear: left; text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap;">Nominal Impedance</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-style: none;">6 ohms</dd><dt style="border: none; margin: 0px; font-family: HelveticaNeueW01-65Medi, 'Helvetica Neue TT', HelveticaNeueTT, HeleticaNeue-TT, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1em; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; float: left; width: 220px; overflow: hidden; clear: left; text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap;">Frequency Response</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(102, 102, 102);">(-6dB) 45Hz-40kHz</dd><dt style="border: none; margin: 0px; font-family: HelveticaNeueW01-65Medi, 'Helvetica Neue TT', HelveticaNeueTT, HeleticaNeue-TT, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1em; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; float: left; width: 220px; overflow: hidden; clear: left; text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap;">Sensitivity</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(102, 102, 102);">(2.83V@1m) 86dB</dd><dt style="border: none; margin: 0px; font-family: HelveticaNeueW01-65Medi, 'Helvetica Neue TT', HelveticaNeueTT, HeleticaNeue-TT, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 1em; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; float: left; width: 220px; overflow: hidden; clear: left; text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap;">Crossover Frequencies</dt><dd style="margin: 0px; padding: 0.5em 0px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-color: rgb(102, 102, 102);">1.5kHz</dd></dl></dd>
I'm certainly not happy about +/- 6db measurements to extend FR after decades of +/-3db. :mad:

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I'm certainly not happy about +/- 6db measurements to extend FR after decades of +/-3db. :mad:
In most cases, that has mainly been the norm for JBL to give -6 db > my main concern is
the overall performace. I have owned many, many speaker sets > this is one of the better
5-1/4 inch woofers bass-wise, that I have heard - and it tops a lot of 6 inch woofers.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
While they do sound a little better with the grill off > I may
still put the grill back on - not quite use to looking at them
this way yet.

Picture does not show the supplied bottom horn attachment.

jbltmp

jbltmp

Audioholic
These sound tempting to an old JBL fan like myself, but I'm a litlle otherwise occupied right now.
The wood-tone cabinets help cut down on the "Darth Vader" look.
What stands are you using with them?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I wouldn't think the grill would affect the sound at all on a Studio 530 as the tweeter is not covered. The wavelengths of the woofer are too long to be affected.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
These sound tempting to an old JBL fan like myself, but I'm a litlle otherwise occupied right now.
The wood-tone cabinets help cut down on the "Darth Vader" look.
What stands are you using with them?
Well at the present, they are on some CabinetMaid closet shelves
31" tall, 12" wide, 11" deep :) However, that could change soon.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
While they do sound a little better with the grill off > I may
still put the grill back on - not quite use to looking at them
this way yet.

Picture does not show the supplied bottom horn attachment.

I think having a horn attachment that is removable (and therefore many will be lost over time) is a design flaw. They should not have the lower part of the horn be removable with the grill; it should be as permanent as the rest of the horn.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think having a horn attachment that is removable (and therefore many will be lost over time) is a design flaw. They should not have the lower part of the horn be removable with the grill; it should be as permanent as the rest of the horn.
I wouldn't guess the sound of the horn is affected too much by the grill's removal. It probably only affects the vertical axial response a bit. I would keep the grill on though.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Right, I agree with that.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I wouldn't guess the sound of the horn is affected too much by the grill's removal. It probably only affects the vertical axial response a bit. I would keep the grill on though.
I pick up a small difference - however, I think the grill will be going back on,
They look better that way.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Dang those things are fugly!
Personally I think they look sharp. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. I have yet to find them for sale though in the cherry vinyl wrap, my preferred choice. Has that been discontinued by JBL or are they charging more for it? Inquiring minds want to know. :D.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
For the most part - the cherry seems to be sold out, in the USA

I like their looks with the grill - however, I would have preferred cherry

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis