Is it time to buy a Blu Ray player?

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
My Panasonic DMP-BD10AK is being shipped next week to sit on a shelf over my HD-A1 shelf in my rack. This latest BR player not only decodes DD TrueHD and DTS-HD HR but it also decodes DVD-A.

My Yamaha receiver does not handle HDMI switching, so, I have a Zektor HDS4.1 to switch multichannel analogs from the players and a RAM 3x1 HDMI switch box. And all Activites are synchronized ON/OFF by my Harmony 880 with one touch.

Once you read "The Secret" or watch the it's DVD and understand how you can master your wants in life. you make things happen. I'm not one to wait for prices to go down or for a winner to be declared. My HD-A1 will never be a door stopper, it is a magnificent CD player, DTS Music disc player and concert player on SD DVD's.

To the author of this thread,
It is always time to buy a Blu-Ray player, or a HD DVD player if that helps you enjoy life.

Waiting and waiting... then comes the Paramount studio announcement that they are joining Universal as exclusive with HD DVD. And there are noises that Warner may follow. Some say that Paramount was paid out to do this but it is undeniable that HD DVD already handles interactivity, commentaries and PIP very well, compared the BR's java system yet to to be activated, and that an HD DVD disc is cheaper to produce.

So, I canceled the Panny BD player.

I already had the Zektor multichannel analog switch box for my HD-A1 and the forthcoming Panny, therefore, as a replacement for the Panny I bought an Oppo DV-970HD primarily for DVD-A, which was playable with the Panny and got SACD as a bonus. BTW, I'm quite impressed with the Oppo:

- The speaker level "TRIM" settings make the multichannel analogs better balanced
- The upconverting of SD DVD at 1080i gives me a better picture than my HD-A1, which I certainly didn't expect
- And I'm quite impressed with SACD. My first recording makes very good use of the 5.1 speaker system.

pepar

pepar

Junior Audioholic
Probably best to wait until new players are released after 10/31 or, if you do buy soon, make sure it's profile 1.1.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
People seem to make a lot of Paramount going exclusive, but the majority of smaller studios announcing alignment with Blu-ray seem to be much greater, if quieter. Disney and Pixar are BD exclusive right now too...that is a far bigger deal than Paramount to me.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
It's time to go HD-DVD. Blu Ray is still too expensive and Sony loads root kits onto it's CD's. I will never forgive them for that and for memory sticks:eek: There's more than two great reasons right there:)

I need a player to be $200 before it is useful to me. I think every Joe Six Pack would agree. I just found that in the A2, and that is where I stand. I won't ever get a Blu Ray unless HD-DVD effectively goes away, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Pat

pepar

pepar

Junior Audioholic
It's time to go HD-DVD. Blu Ray is still too expensive and Sony loads root kits onto it's CD's. I will never forgive them for that and for memory sticks:eek: There's more than two great reasons right there:)

I need a player to be $200 before it is useful to me. I think every Joe Six Pack would agree. I just found that in the A2, and that is where I stand. I won't ever get a Blu Ray unless HD-DVD effectively goes away, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.
All due respect, Pat, but J6P thinks that DVDs are hi-resolution, and the sound is just as impressive. I'll never own a Memory Stick and so far have avoided SACD - though the Genesis catalog is *migthty* tempting, but your rootkit comment on a thread called "Is it time to buy a Bluray player" is pure FUD. :)

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

I am sure by now we all know the reasons the "fence Sitters" have for not buying in to either of these formats. The fact of the matter is that if you have a Home theater with a HDTV the answer is simple. Buy into one or both of these formats. No.. a up-conversion DVD player does not look as good as either of these formats. Hmmm 640X480 = 1920X1080 ??

I bought the HD DVD drive for my Xbox 360 last December and the biggest regret I had was going to the store to find a much larger Blu-ray selection to choose from. As a matter of fact it bothered me so much that in January I bought a BD player. Do I have any regrets? Nope!! I do enjoy the fact that I am able to watch a movie in either format. However, if I had to pick a format today it would be Blu-ray. In the past 9 months I have watched far more BD movies than HD DVD. It sucked having a HD player with a small selection of movies to choose from.

BTW. I would like to thank the fence sitters.. :) Because of you there are plenty of the movies I want to buy at the store and I get new releases from Netflix the day they come out in either format.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i ordered 5 more BD's to add to my existing 8 ...

BUT, there are some movies that really don't need to be crystal clear, so I ordered 11 more DVD's :) (Top Gun and Necessary Roughness included - both Paramount movies)

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
All due respect, Pat, but J6P thinks that DVDs are hi-resolution, and the sound is just as impressive. I'll never own a Memory Stick and so far have avoided SACD - though the Genesis catalog is *migthty* tempting, but your rootkit comment on a thread called "Is it time to buy a Bluray player" is pure FUD. :)
FUD it is, you are right. I had to look that one up:D I apologize.

Pat

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
I am sure by now we all know the reasons the "fence Sitters" have for not buying in to either of these formats. The fact of the matter is that if you have a Home theater with a HDTV the answer is simple. Buy into one or both of these formats. No.. a up-conversion DVD player does not look as good as either of these formats. Hmmm 640X480 = 1920X1080 ??

I bought the HD DVD drive for my Xbox 360 last December and the biggest regret I had was going to the store to find a much larger Blu-ray selection to choose from. As a matter of fact it bothered me so much that in January I bought a BD player. Do I have any regrets? Nope!! I do enjoy the fact that I am able to watch a movie in either format. However, if I had to pick a format today it would be Blu-ray. In the past 9 months I have watched far more BD movies than HD DVD. It sucked having a HD player with a small selection of movies to choose from.

BTW. I would like to thank the fence sitters.. :) Because of you there are plenty of the movies I want to buy at the store and I get new releases from Netflix the day they come out in either format.
When Blu-Ray deals show up for $200 with 8 discs, I will be ordering one of those too. I really do think it is just that simple for most people. Bring a good product down to a price people think is reasonable, and "they will come". I don't have a PS3 yet either, because I think it's two expensive. It will come down, then I will get it. It's the nature of these things.

Right now, I bet Amazon itself is making a huge swing in the "war" just by having this kind of deal. Of course, I have no data to support this claim other than the HD-DVD players are listed #1 on Amazon as being the top seller. Pretty powerful, you think?

Pat

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

When Blu-Ray deals show up for $200 with 8 discs, I will be ordering one of those too. I really do think it is just that simple for most people. Bring a good product down to a price people think is reasonable, and "they will come". I don't have a PS3 yet either, because I think it's two expensive. It will come down, then I will get it. It's the nature of these things.

Right now, I bet Amazon itself is making a huge swing in the "war" just by having this kind of deal. Of course, I have no data to support this claim other than the HD-DVD players are listed #1 on Amazon as being the top seller. Pretty powerful, you think?

Pat
Or it could be that they have to blow them out since no one is buying them because of lack of movies to play on them. I'll admit I lean towards the Blu-ray side.. Not because it is superior.. It has more support both with Electronics mfrs. and studios.. However this has changed a little here recently. :eek:

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
Or it could be that they have to blow them out since no one is buying them because of lack of movies to play on them. I'll admit I lean towards the Blu-ray side.. Not because it is superior.. It has more support both with Electronics mfrs. and studios.. However this has changed a little here recently. :eek:
Amazon is clearing them out as the 3rd generation Toshiba HD DVD players will start shipping the last week of Sept.

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
It has more support both with Electronics mfrs. and studios.. However this has changed a little here recently. :eek:
Oooh, I would really think about re-stating that.
Sony is notorious for screwing with equipment (so clearly, their support team will be called on more)

CaliHwyPatrol

CaliHwyPatrol

Audioholic Chief
+1 for Blu-Ray.

I just picked up my Samsung BD-P1400 a week and a half ago.

E

Electone

Audioholic
Go HD DVD first, then Blu-ray when prices come down

I would like to suggest getting into HD with HD DVD first due to their lower price entry point. You can get a Toshiba HD-A2 or the upcoming HD-A3 for well under $300. Current stand alone BD players are still fairly high priced and will not support the 1.1 spec for interactivity. Blu-Ray player prices should start to drop in 2008. As far as picture and sound quality are concerned, they are essentially the same.

Contrary to the garbage that Sony's and the BDA's marketing strategists would like you to believe, BD has not "won" and HD DVD is not going away any time soon.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Neither is going away anytime soon. I get the feeling this one won't be won quickly and decisively like DVD vs DIVX.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Neither is going away anytime soon. I get the feeling this one won't be won quickly and decisively like DVD vs DIVX.
You're right it won't, as a matter of fact HD DVD is now on the offensive, after months of lackluster ad campaigning, Toshiba is defending it's turf and going after new ground, they're even sponsoring Sunday Night Football in order to wrestle the perceived lead enjoyed by Blu-ray. The tell-tale will be this Christmas, I think prices are going to plummet.

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
Neither is going away anytime soon.
That's for damn sure, just wish Blu players would come down in price (so I can afford a second one:p)

Oh yeah, with the recent pre-order for Transformers, that will surely be a BIG deal on the HD DVD side.
I'm on pre-order.:D

But yeah, neither format is going to 'lose' anytime soon.
Originally I agreed with Clint's take on (both losing), but since have changed my mind.
Both are a win, and with new players supporting both formats, there will be more buyers.
(as soon as the dual players are within reach ($) of the average consumer)

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
I'll get one when the BDP is $210 with 8 free movies:)

Until then, I am more than comfortable with the red pill I swallowed.:D

I am certain that both will be around for quite a long time. I am also willing to bet that most studios will go format neutral within two years. Then, everyone will have dual format players and there will be no war.

Pat

J

jimfitz

Audioholic
I bought a Sony Blu-ray DVD. It's great. I figure I'll buy an HD-DVD when I run out of stuff to watch on the Blu-ray.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis