Is it time to buy a Blu Ray player?

roidefromage

roidefromage

Enthusiast
It seems to me that it is time to buy an HD player. It also seems that Blu Ray is slightly ahead in the format battle. Do any of you have any thoughts about whether I should wait, or commit now to a Blu Ray player?
Thanks for your opinions.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
buy now and help us win the war!

kidding aside, we're all dead in the water if both these formats die ... might as well go with the format that looks like it's gonna win! :)

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

Buy it now, help us win! I stated in a thread long ago that I wish Blu-ray would hurry up and win so I could get a new DVD player. j_garcia said "Buy one now and help Blu-ray win."

So go get a third generation player, or if your into video games, a PS 3. Please!

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
They are still too expensive for me. The cheapest I have seen is $500. By comparison, an entry-level standard DVD player is around $50, and a nice one with upscaling can be had under $150.

abefroeman

abefroeman

Audioholic
I will take a $200 blue-ray player with 5.1 outs, thank you.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
$500 is the least exensive, but you get 5 free discs too...so that makes it about a $400 deal. I say go Blu :D

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Man, I'm so confused, I don't know what to do!!:eek: I keep getting Betamax flashbacks along with LaserDiscs!:eek:

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
What's one more?

It's only money.
I'm still stingin' from Mini-Disc:eek: I still have the contraption, then again, I still have my LD player! I must admit though, for me when I do, it just might be BD or maybe if someone comes out with a really good dualy.

B

bur1196

Enthusiast
If you can wait, I would wait. I am sure the prices will be falling down in a couple of months or better yet, wait for Black Friday, there should be some good deals...

If you want a dual format player. I think that Samsung is coming out with one and of course there is an LG BH100 player already out there for $1000...

S

SamW

Enthusiast
Wait

If you want a dual format player. I think that Samsung is coming out with one and of course there is an LG BH100 player already out there for $1000...
I'm going to give some do what I say, not what I do advice. As I bought both a Blu Ray and an HD DVD players a few months ago. I did it because you can get two high quality separate players for the cost of the single LG.

In any event, if you don't get both you still can't get all the movies in one format or the other. AND I can't really tell the difference between a Blu Ray, HD DVD, or a 1080i picture. That's on a 61 inch screen with my face right up against it.

SO, my advice would be to get a good upscaling player (Sony has a good one that coverts to 1080i that costs around $100) and continue to wait it out.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'm still stingin' from Mini-Disc:eek: I still have the contraption, then again, I still have my LD player!
My dad still has his too and a bunch of discs and a portable player...I can't say I've seen him use it in years and I haven't seen media for it either in a long time.

I agree, for the price of a combo player, you can get one of each for less. I too cannot see a difference between the two formats, so it really is a toss up. I have been tempted to pick up a HD-DVD player, but still haven't seen enough titles that are really going to sway me to do it yet. If there is a good deal during the holidays maybe...

Oppo makes 2 amazing upscaling players under $200.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
That too! Too many burns!
Before we were married, my wife had an MGB roadster (rag top). Ca. 1982, someone cut the top to get at the stereo. LOL, for all his troubles he got an ancient 8-track...which we conveniently converted to a nice, new cassette player and new top with clear plastic (the old one was not even translucent it was so old)! Thank you insurance. Thank you crime boy. Bye bye ancient 8-track. If it's good enough for Blockbuster, it's good enough for you! ;)

Get the Blu-ray!!

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Appearently I'm the odd man out. I just bought a Toshiba HD-A2. For $230 and 5 free HD-DVD's it can't be beat in my opinion. Not only does it play HD-DVD's but it is also an excellent upconverting player. Even if HD-DVD doesn't come out on top I still have a great upconverting player with the side benefit of HD-DVD while it lasts (hopefully it does).

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It seems to me that it is time to buy an HD player. It also seems that Blu Ray is slightly ahead in the format battle. Do any of you have any thoughts about whether I should wait, or commit now to a Blu Ray player?
Thanks for your opinions.
The general consensus that I hear online now is that about 85% of people expect Blu-ray to survive long term. That is, Blu-ray is 'expected' to be around. HD DVD sits at numbers far lower than that - something like 35% or so.

So, no, there are still no guarantees, but the momentum is definitely on the side of Blu-ray right now.

IMO, Blu-ray was pretty clearly going to win from the start and only the excellent product and pricing from Toshiba, combined with top notch Universal backing has allowed HD DVD to shine as bright as it has in the past year.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
IMO, Blu-ray was pretty clearly going to win from the start and only the excellent product and pricing from Toshiba, combined with top notch Universal backing has allowed HD DVD to shine as bright as it has in the past year.[/QUOTE]

Agree 110 %, if it wasn't for agressive pricing on Toshiba's end, the so called war would be over. Blu-ray has been agressive where it really counts: studio backing and superior release numbers.

L

larry7995

Full Audioholic
I received a Vann's catalog today and it only has Blu Ray players. I don't really want to support the Sony monopoly and proprietary greed. But I think it's going to end up - Blu Ray.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis