Is it time to buy a Blu Ray player?

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I think it gets down to how you deal with movies. If you are a collector and buy movies, it would make sense to wait. If, like me, you rent movies then you might as well get involved. You can get enjoyment watching movies in HD and the price is not outrageous considering what we all pay for TV's and audio equipment. The longer you wait, the fewer movies you will see in HD. I have players in both formats. They cost me a little less than $700. That seems like a reasonable sum to be able to play every kind of DVD (except DVD audio.)

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
I think it gets down to how you deal with movies. If you are a collector and buy movies, it would make sense to wait. If, like me, you rent movies then you might as well get involved. You can get enjoyment watching movies in HD and the price is not outrageous considering what we all pay for TV's and audio equipment. The longer you wait, the fewer movies you will see in HD. I have players in both formats. They cost me a little less than $700. That seems like a reasonable sum to be able to play every kind of DVD (except DVD audio.)

My Panasonic DMP-BD10AK is being shipped next week to sit on a shelf over my HD-A1 shelf in my rack. This latest BR player not only decodes DD TrueHD and DTS-HD HR but it also decodes DVD-A.

My Yamaha receiver does not handle HDMI switching, so, I have a Zektor HDS4.1 to switch multichannel analogs from the players and a RAM 3x1 HDMI switch box. And all Activites are synchronized ON/OFF by my Harmony 880 with one touch.

Once you read "The Secret" or watch the it's DVD and understand how you can master your wants in life. you make things happen. I'm not one to wait for prices to go down or for a winner to be declared. My HD-A1 will never be a door stopper, it is a magnificent CD player, DTS Music disc player and concert player on SD DVD's.

To the author of this thread,
It is always time to buy a Blu-Ray player, or a HD DVD player if that helps you enjoy life.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
Suuuure, Oprah, whatever.:rolleyes:
Oprah ! All she did was invite the book's author to her program...

Now if you said Bob Proctor, Dr. Joe Vitale, John Assaraf, Dr. John Demartini, Michael Bernard Beckwith, Jack Canfield, Bob Doyle, Mike Dooley, Lisa Nichols, Bill Harris, Dr. Fred Alan Wolf, James Ray, they have all participated in Rhonda Byrne's book and DVD and each has a website which you can find by googling their name. Go see what kind of people they are... do yourself a favor. If not, silence can be a virtue.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I am well aware that otherwise intelligent people who should know better often believe in ridiculous ideas.
If I ever take up an equally rational practice, such as dowsing or voodoo, you can be sure that I will remain silent.:)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I received a Vann's catalog today and it only has Blu Ray players. I don't really want to support the Sony monopoly and proprietary greed. But I think it's going to end up - Blu Ray.
Couldn't agree more! We shouldn't support monopolies...

So let's see:

BLU-RAY PLAYERS
Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Hitachi (cameras), Samsung, Sharp, Philips

HD DVD PLAYERS
Toshiba

Wait, which one of these are you calling a monopoly again?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Add Onkyo to HD-DVD camp...I wonder how much that cost Toshiba? :D

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Toshiba is probably doing what they are doing for Samsung. Making the product and just badging it with the appropriate name.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Add Onkyo to HD-DVD camp...I wonder how much that cost Toshiba? :D
Actually, if Onkyo is going the same route that RCA did, it means that Toshiba is 100% making the Onkyo players in their factories, and that Onkyo is just letting Toshiba put their 'ONKYO' name on the finished product.

Yes, it likely costs Toshiba a bit to get this to happen, but it costs Onkyo basically ZERO to do this... if this is the case.

The specs of the new Onkyo player are almost identical to the XA2 except for added HD-MA support. A perfectly logical upgrade from the XA2. But, finding out this information will likely have to wait until after the Onkyo is released.

Seriously, if Toshiba can't get more CE support then they don't have a chance. $200 players are great as long as EVERYONE can make a profit from those $200 players. If you gotta subsidize your players to get the price to 200 bucks, then you better hold the patents on the technologies involved so you get some solid royalties on the movies sold... just as Toshiba does.

But, there is no chance Toshiba (HD DVD) can win if the format doesn't gain some added true CE support. That would be companies that are designing, engineering, building, and testing players from the ground up themselves.

I promise you... Denon is not releasing a rebadged Samsung.

Sony, on the other hand, with their first player, had it pretty much built entirely by Pioneer. Sony's production time and efforts were going into a different Blu-ray player.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Blu-ray girls say "Get one now" :D

Last edited:
J

jimfitz

Audioholic
While you guys are debating the issue, I'm enjoying the hell out of my $499 Sony S300 Blu-ray DVD and Blockbuster Blu-ray rentals by mail. I get a new Blu-ray movie every 2 days for $9.99 a month.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
If I buy a BD player and then find a movie I really want on HD only (or vice-versa) it will royally **** me off. This prevents me from buying either one, and I am certain it is holding plenty of other people back also.

J

jimfitz

Audioholic
If I buy a BD player and then find a movie I really want on HD only (or vice-versa) it will royally **** me off. This prevents me from buying either one, and I am certain it is holding plenty of other people back also.
Why, you can't watch it now?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There haven't been enough titles on HD-DVD that have gotten me to cough up the cash to get a player at this point. There are definitely a few that I would really like to see in HD at this point, but nothing that is a "must have" for me.

J

jimfitz

Audioholic
I have 77 Blu-ray movies in my Blockbuster queue. I have already watch 5. There are plenty more after I've seen all of these.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
There haven't been enough titles on HD-DVD that have gotten me to cough up the cash to get a player at this point. There are definitely a few that I would really like to see in HD at this point, but nothing that is a "must have" for me.
I agree I couldn't care less about high definition for most movies, only those where the visuals are especially important (eg The Fifth Element, Harry Potter.)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis