If Hd Dvd Dies, Will You Buy Bd?

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Yawns. Having been burned in the Sacd DVDA thingy, this whole war doesn't interest me. When you can tell me that all movies will be released in a certain format then I will certainly buy a player. And a good one at that-no WallyWorld electronics for me. Until then, this all just hype and another case of someone trying to put their hand in my wallet.

Peppy

Peppy

Junior Audioholic
Yes but....

Yes, I be dissapointed but if Blu win and become the only one left standing; I will have to buy one (I already have a HD) I don't have nothing agains Sony, but I just found that in the past year, the HD player and disc have been a much better product.

But before I buy a Blu, I will wait a longggggggg time. Let the rest of the world paid the big box for there player. So in around 2 years the price and all there problem should have been fix.

Now I know how the fans of the Beta format feel when the VHS won the "tape" war.... even if the Sony product was better.

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
If HD-DVD folded tomorrow how long do you think it would take companies to abandon the DVD format entirely as a way of trying to "force" us to buying most of our content at the price premium that HiDef demands???

EDIT: Of course if Blu folded tomorrow the HD camp would likely do the same thing ....

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
EDIT: Of course if Blu folded tomorrow the HD camp would likely do the same thing ....
That is correct, though it would happen over a period of time just as it did with VHS. The difference being, manufacturers already have the infrastructure to handle discs compared to switching over from tape to disc, so the potential is there for it to happnen quickly. No matter which one won, the result was going to be a drop in SD DVD production in favor of the new format.

F

frostbyte

Audioholic
Even if the format war does end, it will be just like any format war of the past. Slowly transitioning over just like HDTV has been for nearly 10 years. If HD-DVD rolled over and dies tomorrow, then Blu Ray was the winner, but no one was buying equipment, it would never replace DVD. Consumers will always have a say in it. We don't spend, they won't continue to make.

There's a lot of talk about the "streaming" or downloadable options taking over before the format war ever ends, but I personally don't think that will ever fully replace a hard copy in the near to distant future, although I could be wrong. If you can stream a rental that somehow has protections built in for only 24 hours to work or a one time use where the consumer can't digitally capture it then fine, but how is someone going to own a digital copy that then can't be copied or you never have a hard copy? I personally like buying the original and if anyone but myself will ever touch it, I want a back up. I would never buy a downloadable copy of a movie if I couldn't make copies. The hard drive fries, the equipment dies, etc and you just lost your movie collection. If they can take care of all these concerns for people then they may compete, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon.

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
With the ways that today's companies view DRM good luck having full bit-rate, fully featured digital downloads that aren't totally handcuffed by DRM.

Maybe in 10 years if bandwidth is several orders of magnitude higher than today and long-term, reliable storage space is nigh-unlimited and cheap then I would be ready for prime time but not before.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
I will go with whatever format wins.
... and let the world go by!

I'm part of the war by being neutral... and enjoying every moment!

Don't you feel you are missing something?

F

frostbyte

Audioholic
Don't you feel you are missing something?
If I bought both formats, I'd definitely feel I was missing something....like extra money in my wallet. ^_^ Assuming there is a single format that wins, which I believe will happen.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
If I bought both formats, I'd definitely feel I was missing something....like extra money in my wallet. ^_^ Assuming there is a single format that wins, which I believe will happen.
So you feel that people who have purchased an HD DVD or a BD player or both would all prefer having back the money in their pocket? Are you prepared to make a poll on that point?

Does the same reasoning apply to those who have replaced their CRT NTSC TV with a widescreen HDTV? Or to those who have elected to buy an audio system to better enjoy music and movies? And I can go on... unless to best situation in which a human being can be is to have lots of money in his pockets... and die that way.

F

frostbyte

Audioholic
I said nothing about anyone but myself. I'm sure there are those that will not regret buying 10 to 20 or more HD DVD movies and a player or 2. Just like there are those that are still glad they bought their DIVX player when DVD was having it's format war. ^_^ Oops did I just say I think HD DVD is a loosing cause?

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
I bought very few movies, I rent them (both HD DVD and BD).

But I buy concerts, live shows. Those seem to be mostly in BD format. Never tired of playing back good music... which is much better in good Video and good sound.

In fact I enjoy a concert much better at home with my system vs a big hall, like to Bell Center in Montreal because sound engineers put sound volume much too high... at least that spoils things for me.

The one exception was Barbra Streisand last year... but we know she's a control freak and would know that you can't trust a sound engineer to decide on sound volume.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

I bought both and I don't feel like I am missing anything. I didn't pay an arm and a leg for my player though and I only bought a few movies; a number of them used for good prices. I figured the war would drag out, so I might as well enjoy a few of the exclusives and get another good upscaling player at the same time.

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
For those that haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet, will you buy a Bluray player if HD DVD dies off officially? How about you guys that already own HD DVD machines, will you go ahead and buy a Bluray player? Will you wait for Black Friday or will you purchase on onset of breaking news from Toshiba?
I thought HD DVD HAD died off already. I keep reading its obituaries.

As far as buying a Bluray Player, I'll be waiting until they get down in price to the sub-$300 range. First, we have to get a HDTV. We haven't even made that commitment. I keep waiting for those prices to become "reasonable."

But really, I'm not looking forward to having to replace my DVD collection with Bluray. Those discs are expensive! Nearly 3 or 4 times the price of budget DVDs.

Heck, I still have VHS tapes in my library that still haven't made the conversion to DVD!

What's a Black Friday?

N

naisphoo

Banned
The title should be changed to "Now that hdvd is dead, will you buy Bluray?".

N

naisphoo

Banned
Sony hating is a results of more than just products. For me it's products somewhat, but mostly their tactics. Charging higher prices for the same stuff (ie: TV's), strongarming competitors (HD DVD), proprietary crap (memory stick), and sneaky practices (rootkits). That's all I can think of for now, I am sure there are more.

Bluetooth only remotes are stupid, why should one have to buy an adapter to use their harmony??? Otherwise PS3 is an option, but standalone players suit more people IMHO. I don't want a game system and especially not one that looks like a game system. That thing would look like crap in my rack. Why can't they make an economic standalone that is capable of everything (except gaming) that the PS3 is???

Bottom line, these players are not reasonably priced, especially for what you get. The ones close to reasonably priced are old and will be outdated soon with the new specs.

I am waiting for final specs and a good price. From what I have seen, that will be a long time coming. I never got a laser disc player either, sound familiar;) It sure does to me. Blu Ray will be another laser disc player if they don't get prices in line or force DVD out of existance (I doubt they can do that, but I wouldn't put anything past them).

Pat
Seems like personal problem to me...we live in a free country and Sony is free to charge whatever price they want and if you don't like it just don't buy their products. For now please enjoy your hvdvd up converter.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Big sale day after Thanksgiving. I think it's termed Black because it is easily the ugliest day of the year to shop.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Fortunately, HD DVD isn't dead, yet. (Even if you love Blu-Ray, you have to love the software price wars.) Paramount and Universal are still sticking with HD DVD. Moreover, most independents launch on HD DVD first due to the lower costs.

Opus Arte has said they will start releasing on Blu-Ray. However, this is Audioholics. If you want opera, ballet or high art on high def, look to HD DVD.

Seriously, if I could justify purchasing a $400+ Blu-Ray player, I could definitely justify a $100 HD DVD player. That's all I'm saying.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
For those that haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet, will you buy a Bluray player if HD DVD dies off officially? How about you guys that already own HD DVD machines, will you go ahead and buy a Bluray player? Will you wait for Black Friday or will you purchase on onset of breaking news from Toshiba?
Luckily for me I have an HTPC with one of these bad boys in it. Troubles are gone. :)

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16827136133

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis