If Hd Dvd Dies, Will You Buy Bd?

F

frostbyte

Audioholic
I have not heard it personally, but from what I've read from other forum members in a different site, it's a pretty noise machine compared to normal DVD players. More like a projector than a DVD player. My old projector was a little distracting, but my new one is pretty quiet. The PS3 will sit in the front of the room so it shouldn't be too bad no matter what unless it's a very quiet part of the movie. I think it's a small price to pay to have been able to buy a 1.0 profile player that will be upgradable to either 1.1 or 2.0 and probably anything else that may change. Kudos to Sony for this great support for a gaming system. I don't even play games and see it as my best option.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, it isn't exactly a silent player, but it isn't too obtrusive either; as you said, it is noticeable during quiet passages - my A2 is also, though neither on the order of a projector IMO. Give it enough ventilation area and it should be fine (note that it vents out the side). The PS3 has low and high, and on high it would be more akin to a projector, but I have only had that happen once with mine and that was on a 100 degree day. The current update for the PS3 has taken it to Profile 1.1 (2.0 actually, current is 2.1)

F

frostbyte

Audioholic
Not sure if I should open a new thread or just ask here so I'll just do so here.

Can you use the hard drive in the PS3 for storing movies and music? I assume you can, but better ask just to be sure.

If I buy a PS3 now, will it be able to do anything PS3 adds later? Are all the updates just through the ethernet or will I have to send it in somewhere to get these mods?

Does it use the phone line for upgrades?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You can connect it wirelessly or via ethernet (no phone line). I believe the current models both have wifi built in, as did the 60G. If the 40G does not, then it can be added via USB adapter easily as was the case with the 20G. If you don't connect it, you can download updates and put them on a USB drive, a disc, or any type of media the PS3 can read (60G, 80G have a card reader built in) to update. See this post regarding updates: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=358905&postcount=18

I use a 320G USB drive to store pictures, music and video externally, but you can also store them on the internal drive as well :) The internal drive is a SATA laptop drive so it can also be upgraded to a larger one.

F

frostbyte

Audioholic
Is there a thread dedicated to the PS3 that has all this info? I have WIFI so that's awesome! Can you just hot swap any larger SATA laptop drive or do you have to copy files to it first?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I haven't tried it myself, but it has a backup function and I read instructions that said back it up, swap the drive, the PS3 will automatically format the new drive and then you restore your backed up data, though I would say it is going to be best to try this before you have installed anything significant as it says not everything is backed up (for whatever reason). There are a variety of threads in the Gaming area mainly, but no one thread that has everything.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
my toshiba A35 is noisier than my ps3. unlike the regular fan noise of projectors and receivers ... my A35 whirrs.

F

frostbyte

Audioholic
Well, I sprung for a PS3 last night and it's AWESOME!! I can barely hear it at all with nothing on and standing right in front of it. Beautiful picture even with my 100" screen and $900 projector. Very amazed. I though for $900 it wouldn't be that much better with anything better than DVD, but I was wrong. I also bought the first 4 Harry Potter movies on Blu Ray. Guess some PS3 owners use it as a Blu Ray player. ^_^

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
I'll probably hold out for a while before I take the plunge into the wild Blu yonder. The reasons that I haven't bought HD yet are the primary reasons that I haven't bought into Blu yet .... The ongoing media costs are way out of line with what I want to pay.

I like to own my favorite movies but I'm not about to slap down 25-35$ for a single movie any time soon. Combine this with [IIRC] region codes and in general a less consumer friendly attitude makes my decision to wait an easy one.

I imagine that when the price premium for Hi Def material is only +15% of DVD OR when I can't get the material that I want on DVD any more then I'll make the jump.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There are enough sales around that the average movie price is actually a lot lower than that. Some new releases do carry a premium, but after about 2 weeks, the prices tend to drop relatively quickly online. I'm averaging about $15 per disc, with a few costing me around $25 or so. Look at it this way, right now it is a good way to keep your collection free of movies you probably won't watch many times because you really have to want it to buy it :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Frys.com ususally (we have stores here, one is 3 blocks from work), as they have regular sales of BD, but Best Buy occasionally has deals that bring them down to around the same price range. The sales are always on select titles obviously, but there are usually at least 2 or 3 that I want, and each time Fry's runs them, they add some of the new releases. There are select titles going for $14.00 right now; I picked up Resident Evil last week for $19, then it went on sale for $14 on Friday, so I went back and got the difference back. Amazon runs frequent sales as well.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I don't usually go to best buy, as I try to avoid them, and there is no Frys in my state unfortunately. I don't normally buy movies, but I think I want to get Ratatouille on blu ray. I don't really want to pay more than $20 shipped for it.

tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
For those that haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet, will you buy a Bluray player if HD DVD dies off officially? How about you guys that already own HD DVD machines, will you go ahead and buy a Bluray player? Will you wait for Black Friday or will you purchase on onset of breaking news from Toshiba?
There are plenty of movies out on HD-DVD with more coming. There is no reason to get rid of an HD-DVD player.

Assuming paramount goes Blu-ray or even format neutral at the end of the contract it might be 6 mo -12 mo after that before you have Transformers on blu-ray.. thats over 2 years from now!!

Look how long Matrix has been out on HD-DVD and still no date on for a blu-ray release. Its too bad that Fox and Warner were swayed away from going HD-DVD (like they wanted to) by Sony.

http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/cls.pl?homevdeo&1205441382

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There are ~400 titles on HD DVD and there will be FEWER coming out, not more as time goes on, with Warner only releasing those currently in production over the next few months (and not day and date with the BD). With Warner holding so many key titles (mainly catalog titles, though some more recent also), there really aren't enough big titles in the pipeline for HD DVD to realistically stay alfoat. The Matrix and Batman Begins Warner said they would have them out by the end of the year on BD; I will enjoy my HD DVD versions for now though.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I know batman begins will be awesome in blu ray. The dolby digital track on the regular dvd is awesome, I can't wait to hear it on blu ray.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
Some are serious Sony haters claiming that Sony makes no good products at all.
Sony hating is a results of more than just products. For me it's products somewhat, but mostly their tactics. Charging higher prices for the same stuff (ie: TV's), strongarming competitors (HD DVD), proprietary crap (memory stick), and sneaky practices (rootkits). That's all I can think of for now, I am sure there are more.

Bluetooth only remotes are stupid, why should one have to buy an adapter to use their harmony??? Otherwise PS3 is an option, but standalone players suit more people IMHO. I don't want a game system and especially not one that looks like a game system. That thing would look like crap in my rack. Why can't they make an economic standalone that is capable of everything (except gaming) that the PS3 is???

Bottom line, these players are not reasonably priced, especially for what you get. The ones close to reasonably priced are old and will be outdated soon with the new specs.

I am waiting for final specs and a good price. From what I have seen, that will be a long time coming. I never got a laser disc player either, sound familiar;) It sure does to me. Blu Ray will be another laser disc player if they don't get prices in line or force DVD out of existance (I doubt they can do that, but I wouldn't put anything past them).

Pat

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Sony hating is a results of more than just products. For me it's products somewhat, but mostly their tactics. Charging higher prices for the same stuff (ie: TV's), strongarming competitors (HD DVD), proprietary crap (memory stick), and sneaky practices (rootkits). That's all I can think of for now, I am sure there are more.
See, that's what I don't get. It seems like a double standard - especially by your own usage of the terms - and tends to amount to standard business practices except for a few things.

1. Many companies offer identical products with different pricing including Denon and Yamaha who have custom and consumer product which may have slightly different pricing structures.

2. Strongarming Competitors? Toshiba chose to not support Blu-ray after the BDA was formed. They have gone through very standard business practices to earn support... including signing incentives for studio support.

3. Proprietary Crap... Do X-Box games play on other systems? Does apple software work in Windows? Do my DS games play in anything besides my DS? Almost every major company has 'proprietary crap' - Toshiba, for example, has HD DVD which is easily as proprietary as Memory Stick...

4. Sneaky Practices: Let's be honest - The rootkit was flat out a crap decision by someone. They also had the bad batteries (which they did replace).

But, considering the above, how fair is it to focus on them so singularly? When you consider the 'same' product - what are you talking about? There is a great deal of Sony product used in the professional arena with incredible results. Sony also continues to get rave reviews for its displays and projection products. Yet, it makes some stuff that is undisputedly not very good.

Bluetooth only remotes are stupid, why should one have to buy an adapter to use their harmony??? Otherwise PS3 is an option, but standalone players suit more people IMHO. I don't want a game system and especially not one that looks like a game system. That thing would look like crap in my rack. Why can't they make an economic standalone that is capable of everything (except gaming) that the PS3 is???
There are some personal opinions here don't you think?

For many consumers, they don't have a universal remote, so the Sony PS3 remote is fine with them. They don't necessarily even know that it is Bluetooth, they just know that it works reliably. But, I imagine that including top notch IR relaibility would really piss off the competition (Panny, Samsung, Pioneer, etc.).

I agree that stand alone players are more suitable for most people. But, at current cost for development, Blu-ray has a cost that is a bit higher for comparible product between Blu-ray and HD DVD. While PS3 is subsidized, and (RUMOR) HD DVD is subsidized - or sold at cost - no Blu-ray stand alone player holds this distinction. So, with a PS3 you get what might normally cost $1,200+ for 400 or 500 dollars. With their players, they probably cost 200 or so, then come to consumers at $400 or so. That's a lot less product for the money.

Of course, if you don't want it, just because it would look 'ugly', then that is, once again, your choice, right, and opinion. But, it doesn't mean it doesn't work better than any other stand alone player, from any manufacturer, on the market.

Bottom line, these players are not reasonably priced, especially for what you get. The ones close to reasonably priced are old and will be outdated soon with the new specs.
Depends on what you mean by reasonably priced. Toshiba, operating as a monopoly, has been using subsidization practices to give consumers a 'reasonable' price, yet this doesn't work when you want free market competition.

As for 'old and outdated' - this is so true! Unless of course people don't care that much about PIP or web interactivity. In which case, the current players will last them forever.

Or, they have a PS3 which will not be outdated by 1.1 or 2.0 specifications.

I am waiting for final specs and a good price. From what I have seen, that will be a long time coming. I never got a laser disc player either, sound familiar;) It sure does to me. Blu Ray will be another laser disc player if they don't get prices in line or force DVD out of existance (I doubt they can do that, but I wouldn't put anything past them).
I am waiting to get a stand alone player for the same reasons you are, but I'm not going to avoid enjoying HD movies because there is no stand alone player, when there clearly is a very good alternative. No, it's not for everyone, but it doesn't change the fact that it is excellent for most.

It's also great that there are options available to make it compatible with universal remotes.

The choice is to invest in a format that will not deliver 70% of the current movie releases come May.

If HD DVD had this level of support, then it would be a no brainer, but I think we would all see substantially higher pricing if this were the case.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
We agree on more than we disagree. Maybe I am too hard on Sony, but then again maybe not:D

What I like(d) about HD DVD is the final standard ready on all the players. I guess the moving Blu Ray standards could be akin to the moving HDMI standards, which also pisses me off.

None the less, I am hoping that something meeting my criteria will be avaiable by summer. Until then, I will rent HD DVD as long as I can and buy what I want to keep around. It's not like my player and my movies will suddenly vaporize;)

The great thing about all of this is that DVD's will be around at least 10+ years, and all these players are great at playing those regardless of what happens with HDM! PPV HD actually looks pretty damn good, so I always have that:)

Pat

We'll likely buy a few of the $299 BD-Live-enabled players that go on special discount this Christmas season... oh, was that a prediction? ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis