If Hd Dvd Dies, Will You Buy Bd?

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
How do you play high res audio?

Through the digital optical out built into the motherboard. Its an Asus SLI Delux. Or do you mean for software? There are a few different options in that regard. I tend to use VLC a lot, or you can use power DVD, or intervideo, which both suck IMO. And there are also a host of other players that can do 5.1 or greater audio. I haven't really played around with it too much because I currently have an old receiver and am in the process of upgrading, so right now video quality matters most.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Through the digital optical out built into the motherboard. Its an Asus SLI Delux. Or do you mean for software? There are a few different options in that regard. I tend to use VLC a lot, or you can use power DVD, or intervideo, which both suck IMO. And there are also a host of other players that can do 5.1 or greater audio. I haven't really played around with it too much because I currently have an old receiver and am in the process of upgrading, so right now video quality matters most.
Toslink won't sent high res (LPCM) multichannel 5.1. It's not part of the spec. That's why I asked. I'm hoping they will get things resolved with the audio.

VLC supports Blu-Ray/HD DVD now (or I guess the codecs after they are err... liberated from the discs)?

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Toslink won't sent high res (LPCM) multichannel 5.1. It's not part of the spec. That's why I asked. I'm hoping they will get things resolved with the audio.

VLC supports Blu-Ray/HD DVD now (or I guess the codecs after they are err... liberated from the discs)?
lol. Yes viva la revolution!

Thanks for pointing that out, I wasn't aware that you couldn't pass HD audio through Toslink with HD DVD. But I don't play them from the disk anyway, so I hadn't noticed. What about digital composite out?

funked up

funked up

Audioholic
Wether hd-dvd dies or not, I'm buying a PS3. Mostly I'll be using it for movies, but why not get a great gaming system also for the same price as a stand-alone player. From what i've been reading it seems like the PS3 is one of the best blu-ray players out there anyways.

itschris

itschris

Are you guys saying that the current crop of stand alone blue ray components from Denon, Samsung, or Pioneer Elite (which I'm just about to buy) is already a dinosaur because the new spec is on the way. Obviously you can upgrade your PS3, but can you upgrade the firmware on standalone players?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, you can update the firmware on pretty much any player, but not all players will be able to be updated to make use of all of the newest features - like you can't add Profile 2.0 to a player that doesn't have some type of network capability.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
Yes, you can update the firmware on pretty much any player, but not all players will be able to be updated to make use of all of the newest features - like you can't add Profile 2.0 to a player that doesn't have some type of network capability.
...or HDD volume to provide more memory.

itschris

itschris

So I guess it would be stupid to spend $800 on the Elite blue ray. But at the same time, I'm just wondering if I wait, there will always be something new to miss just on the horizon.

I remember when the higher end progressive DVD players came out like the DV09 and it was basically HT nirvana. Anything today, surpasses what was the best you could get from a few years ago... so I'm wondering if it really even matters.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
So I guess it would be stupid to spend $800 on the Elite blue ray. But at the same time, I'm just wondering if I wait, there will always be something new to miss just on the horizon.

I remember when the higher end progressive DVD players came out like the DV09 and it was basically HT nirvana. Anything today, surpasses what was the best you could get from a few years ago... so I'm wondering if it really even matters.
There will always be something coming out...... That's the nature of the AV world.
But IMO, this is a bad time to invest in a high end BD player.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
I guess I was already betting on the demise of HD-DVD.

A PS3 at this point to me seemed well..........a "no brainer". A network connection (WIRELESS to boot!), good firmware support, for me-better movie selection and a game machine too! The only thing that would have been perfect is having IR remote support (built-in).
I don't regret it one bit. especially with the ever growing lack of HD-DVD support. No matter how much a player costs; without studio support the war is basically over.

Just My 2¢

Last edited by a moderator:
tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
Last night.. i was excited to to watch Fantastic Four 2. I had just watched the first one on blu-ray the week before, and just got the second one on blu-ray from netflix.

I first turned on the player, because i know its faster to boot up the disc after the player gets to its main screen. So after i came back from the bathroom :p the player was warmed up and ready at the main screen. I popped in the disc. So now i figured i got about 45 sec before i get to the menu screen.

My player said loading... loading...loading. I was like "ok", i have seen this before, this is normal. But this was the player saying loading. Next the i got a weird bar on the bottom. Like the one you see at the bottom of internet pages when they are loading up. It kept going from left to right, finishing the bar, and restarting over again. Now i was like whats going on :confused:. Then a weird circular thing showed up that kept rotating like a radar.. and it said "loading...loading...loading".

Finally after god knows how long i get to the main menu screen for the movie. I was expecting something big for all this loading.. but it was a boring screen with no video or anything like Bourne or Transformers.

I have selected all netflix movies to prefer HD-DVD format over Blu-ray if available.

HD-DVD is alive and well in my house!! I think i will have a Matrix Marathon, followed by a Bourne Marathon.. maybe top that with a Mission Impossible Marathon.. hell cant leave harry out of it. Finish it off with a Harry Potter Marathon

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
HD DVD = put a fork in it, call it done. Seriously, all they are doing is clearing out inventory of items that are already in production - players and movies, so that they at least make some money off of that before shutting it down.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
HD DVD = put a fork in it, call it done. Seriously, all they are doing is clearing out inventory of items that are already in production - players and movies, so that they at least make some money off of that before shutting it down.
Well if the story in Variety pans out, I guess J is right, put a fork in it, it's done. Hopefully we'll be able to move one. We have a gazillion threads on BD vs HD DVD and frankly it's getting boring. Now the question still remains, will BD survive, too?

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Finally after god knows how long i get to the main menu screen for the movie. I was expecting something big for all this loading.. but it was a boring screen with no video or anything like Bourne or Transformers.
It's the BD+ system that caused it to take so long. You may experience this on a few titles from Fox depending on the player.

The BD-P1400 takes about 40 seconds to load up FF4SS.
The Panny DMP-BD30 takes about 17-20 seconds.
The PS3 takes about 10 seconds.

I believe the Sharp is quite quick with BD+ as well, around the same time as the Panny.

Samsung appear to be the worst for loading times with BD+. Hopefully the BD-P1500 will be much faster.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Well now that Wal Mart is going BD, you HD DVD guys will be able to pick them up for nothing as Wal Mart starts prepping for BD inventory only. Believe me, BB is keeping an eye on Wal Mart, as they can do damage to BB by slashing software prices. I'm just waiting for CC to jump on the bandwagon.

F

frostbyte

Audioholic
I've already seen this on small scale. I wanted to buy the Harry Potter movies on Blu Ray and saw them at Wally World for $18.97 and then went online to Circuit City and they had them for $29.99 I believe. I called them up to see if they would price match and they said no for some reason so I bought the first 4 at Wal-Mart. Then I checked back 2 weeks later and they were suddenly $19.99 at Circuit City. Guess too many people let them know it was cheaper elsewhere. Still not quite as cheap, but close enough for Wal-Mart haters. Once more people buy into HDTV instead of waiting for the war to officially end I believe you will see $20 and under become the new norm instead of $30. I will buy for under $20 if it's a movie I would like to own, but $30 is just above what it's worth to me personally. The magic number for the masses will likely be $20 and you will see sales skyrocket.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I've already seen this on small scale. I wanted to buy the Harry Potter movies on Blu Ray and saw them at Wally World for $18.97 and then went online to Circuit City and they had them for $29.99 I believe. I called them up to see if they would price match and they said no for some reason so I bought the first 4 at Wal-Mart. Then I checked back 2 weeks later and they were suddenly $19.99 at Circuit City. Guess too many people let them know it was cheaper elsewhere. Still not quite as cheap, but close enough for Wal-Mart haters. Once more people buy into HDTV instead of waiting for the war to officially end I believe you will see $20 and under become the new norm instead of $30. I will buy for under $20 if it's a movie I would like to own, but $30 is just above what it's worth to me personally. The magic number for the masses will likely be $20 and you will see sales skyrocket.
You know I feel as if I'm sitting in the middle of a commercial. Fan boys on both sides of the aisle throwing stones at each other, I waited and waited, even when HD DVD players were selling for $100 bucks my inner voice said: don't do it, you'll be sorry. Well I know the argument for a cheap player (that doesn't support 1080p), "it's only $100, it won't kill the bank, blah, blah, blah,......well I'll get the new TOSHIBA BLU-RAY player when it comes out for $100 that supports all 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0 profiles and 10 free BDs that Toshiba will giving away in order to entice buyers, since no one now wants to buy Blu-ray because SD DVD is kicking it's butt.

F

frostbyte

Audioholic
I was tempted to go for the $100 HD DVD since it was so cheap, but I'm not a fan of HD DVD and felt it would end up loosing. Then when Warner announced Blu Ray exclusive, I knew it would be the end so I finally bought a PS3. My other reason for not liking HD DVD was the fact that Universal was in their camp. I very much dislike them and it may not even be their fault. I have a cheap Sanyo DVD player with Parent Guardian that allows the close captioning to mute out swear words which is very handy with having 4 little boys. Universal DVD's I believe are the only ones that it can't bleep out for some reason. Thus my hatred for Universal which bleeds into HD DVD.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis