Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I'm eyeing Olympus DSLRs for their active viewfinder. Does anyone here have an opinion on those?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
So what might be the functional difference between the Canon 100 2.8L macro IS USM versus the Canon 100mm f2.8 macro USM? I mean, for twice the price, what's the cost/benefit analysis?

http://www.bccamera.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=13_17&sort=20a&page=2
IIRC,

the L version
1) edit: oops
2) has Hybrid Image Stabilization (most advanced IS canon has made to date) which can in some macro instances save you from using a tripod.
3) L lenses have better builds (tougher, more weather proof)
4) lens hood and pouch included
5) better bokeh (sample in the link below)

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-100mm-f-2.8-L-IS-USM-Macro-Lens-Review.aspx

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I'm eyeing Olympus DSLRs for their active viewfinder. Does anyone here have an opinion on those?
Active Viewfinder? Like, a screen in the actual viewfinder? I would rather have a PentaMirror.

SheepStar

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I just upgraded to the Canon T1i package w/bag on Best Buy's online boxing day sale. It was on sale for less than I paid for the XSi plus bag. I also added the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f-4-5.6 IS lens for $279. I'll return the XSi when this shows up.

Having the extra lens will be nice. I know I'm just starting out in the whole photo thing but I have a feeling that this equipment will be above my skill level for quite some time, possibly forever.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
don't worry, i spent 4 years on auto mode on my canon 300d (digital rebel, your xsi and t1i's ancestor)

if it didn't die on me, i wouldn't have switched my cam to aperture priority :) [i'll spend another 4 years on this mode til i switch to the other modes]

the t1i is a mean camera :) i actually miss mine (sometimes).

4 days to go til my 100 macro L!

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I didn't know you actually ordered that bad boy. Scha-wing!:D
i actually made up my mind after our last discussion over it :)

and i didn't actually order it ... i'm going to hong kong to buy one :D

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
If you want a cheap one that's really easy to use, the Nikon L20 is a good one. I just got one for my renter and it was $89. The LCD screen is 3 or 3-1/2" diagonal and it has a 10Meg chip, which is a lot larger than my Nikon 4300, which cost a lot more.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
So...

I finally got a chance to use the T1i to take some photos at a wedding. I'm mightily impressed with the images that came out. I left it on the auto setting all night. Even in a darkened banquet hall, every person I got a picture of was clear and detailed, not dark, grainy or bad in any way (yes, it's subjective. Some people here might think they are terrible.).

One question I have relates to the auto focus. When you depress the button half way, the flash triggers three times in the focus process. Is there a setting to stop it from flashing in the auto focus process? It seems that the flashes confuse people. They think that you've already taken the shot and start walking away, then you have to tell them that no, you haven't taken the shot yet.

desmondlewissmi

desmondlewissmi

Audioholic Intern
yup. nikon D90 with 35mm f1.8 + a zoom lens (which zoom would depend on your budget)
I agree that Nikon is the way to go for a medium level camera. Keep in mind, for good pictures your lense is going to be more important than anything else.

Not to say the camera isn't important, just that if you have a decent camera and horrible glass you will get horrible pictures. If you have a decent camera and fast glass you will get great pictures.

Get the fastest lense you can weather you buy Nikon or Canon.

(By fast I mean aperature, the lower the number, the wider the aperature can open and let more light in, therefore the faster the lense).

I'm a Pro-Photographer, so I'm just trying to share some knowlege. :p

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I agree that Nikon is the way to go for a medium level camera. Keep in mind, for good pictures your lense is going to be more important than anything else.

Not to say the camera isn't important, just that if you have a decent camera and horrible glass you will get horrible pictures. If you have a decent camera and fast glass you will get great pictures.

Get the fastest lense you can weather you buy Nikon or Canon.

(By fast I mean aperature, the lower the number, the wider the aperature can open and let more light in, therefore the faster the lense).

I'm a Pro-Photographer, so I'm just trying to share some knowlege. :p
Good advice.

I recommend people ignore the cheap crap lenses sold in Best Buy, etc. Go to eBay and get some used professional level lenses. You can get a 10 year old top quality lens for (relatively) cheap. So what if the lens body has scratches and some worn black paint on spots. As long as the elements are in great condition, that's all that counts.

-Chris

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I picked up a Canon EFS 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM. I'm thinking that this should be able to get me some nice closeup shots.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I picked up a Canon EFS 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM. I'm thinking that this should be able to get me some nice closeup shots.
congrats! i remember you wanted to get some coin shots :)

(my macro lens is flying in from the US in a few days)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis