Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Some of you may have noticed how bad all my pictures turn out. It's time for me to fix that problem. I'm ready to pick up a decent mid-level SLR. One thing I'd like the camera to do is to take good detail shots. I picked up a new Hamilton Trent watch and I'd like to get a couple nice pics of it.

My best shopping options are www.bestbuy.ca or www.futureshop.ca. If you can give me a couple options from those sites, I will very much appreciate it.

droht

droht

Full Audioholic
I think most any name brand DSLR will do the job for you, but I would go with either Nikon or Canon myself. The appropriate lens is probably way more important, and potentially way more expensive than the camera. Check out dpreview.com. Lots of good info and expert posters there.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Have you not seen the other photography threads? Nikon is the current Choice for a mid level camera. D90.

SheepStar

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
yup. nikon D90 with 35mm f1.8 + a zoom lens (which zoom would depend on your budget)

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Have you not seen the other photography threads? Nikon is the current Choice for a mid level camera. D90.
Nope, never looked at a camera thread. Photography has never held any interest for me until I realized my current camera isn't capable of even my simplest needs.

The D90 is clearly out of my comfort zone, price wise. I'm leaning towards the Canon EOS XSi or the Nikon D5000. I still don't know enough about them to rationally compare their features...flip a coin?:D

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Online posting only needs 72ppi/dpi but if that doesn't get better results, maybe better hand-holding technique is in order. That, or a camera with image stabilization. It's not necessary to have a high priced camera to get good or great results- it's more an issue of getting to know the timing of the camera while holding it in a way that's completely different from the way a film camera is held.

I bought a Nikon for a few hundred about 3-4 years ago and it works great. The new ones for the same price blow it out of the water in terms of mega-pixels, but if you want a simple camera, you won't have a problem finding one for a reasonable price.

Here's a sample:

Last edited:
T

Tiguron

Audioholic Intern
I recently (March 09) bought my first DSLR. There is a lot to learn. Spend some time on dpreview. The reviews on that site are very good, and you can compare the models easily.

Look at the Canon XS/XSI/T1i or the Nikon D60/D3000/D5000.

Stick with Canon or Nikon if you think you will still be taking pictures for years to come. It lets you build a nice lens collection.

Based on features and cost narrow it down to a couple of models. Then go handle each one. I have small hands and wanted a smaller lighter camera. Other people prefer larger models.

FS tends to have sales all the time on cameras. If you want to save money, get the camera body only, or with one lens only. There are plenty of good lenses to buy once you have the camera in hand and know what type of pictures you want to take.

Have fun.

F

Fenix

Audioholic
My wife and I own a Canon EOS XSi and it is great. She has used it for wedding pictures, house pictures, art pictures, and lots of other things. She is very artistic and her pictures have turned out extremely well.

Now, if it helps your decision any (though I'm sure that the website everyone is suggesting is full of professionals) my father owns and operates a camera repair company (and has for 20+ years) and he has always suggested to me Canon and Nikon. As such I have always had Canon digital cameras and they have always worked great for me.

droht

droht

Full Audioholic
Nope, never looked at a camera thread. Photography has never held any interest for me until I realized my current camera isn't capable of even my simplest needs.

The D90 is clearly out of my comfort zone, price wise. I'm leaning towards the Canon EOS XSi or the Nikon D5000. I still don't know enough about them to rationally compare their features...flip a coin?:D
If you really don't expect to get into photography I'm not sure any DSLR makes sense. You can get a good point and shoot camera with IS and macro mode and take some awesome shots. A cheap tripod and good source of daylight will make you a very good photographer with lots of sub $300 cameras.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
For better or worse, I bought the Canon XSi. It's a strange feeling shopping for something when you don't know what any of the buttons do and have no way to know what's a good feature or spec or not. To me, the XSi and the Nikon D5000 look like the exact same thing.:D

droht

droht

Full Audioholic
For better or worse, I bought the Canon XSi. It's a strange feeling shopping for something when you don't know what any of the buttons do and have no way to know what's a good feature or spec or not. To me, the XSi and the Nikon D5000 look like the exact same thing.:D
Big diff is that the D5000 shoots video; the XSi does not. But you probably saved some money by skipping that feature. The XSi will not disappoint, but you will get out of it what you put in with regard to learning the ins and outs. I'm early in that process, and just starting to understand some things. The payoff is pretty cool.

Enjoy the new camera!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord

Oh, I have a D5000. Click the "pictures" link in my sig, those are all taken with it.

What would you like to like know? It's a D90, in a D60 body,minus a few features (Focus motor [requires lenses with built in focus motors to auto focus, AF-S lenses], Wireless flash control [don't think you'll be needing this, can always buy the SU-800 controller], Pentaprism viewfinder [larger magnification, brighter], and 920,000 dot 3 inch screen [vs 230,000 dot 2.7inch screen, 2.7inch screen does swivel though]).

BEEEAAAAM!

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Big diff is that the D5000 shoots video; the XSi does not. But you probably saved some money by skipping that feature. The XSi will not disappoint, but you will get out of it what you put in with regard to learning the ins and outs. I'm early in that process, and just starting to understand some things. The payoff is pretty cool.

Enjoy the new camera!
The D5000 also has a larger, more usable ISO range, swivel screen, more AF points, extensive on-board photo retouching, and GPS capability.

SheepStar

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks. It is very nice. I spent a lot of time online looking at the Jazzmaster Slim but once I tried it on, I found it was too big for my wrist. The Trent fits perfectly and was half the price of the Jazzmaster. I found the Trent for 40% off at my local authorized dealer.:D

Back to cameras for a second, are you kidding me? This thing comes with 6 DVDs and computer discs and a 195 page owners manual. I feel like I have to reprogram America's nuclear arsenal just to take a photo.:eek:

T

Tiguron

Audioholic Intern
The XSi is a great camera. I suggest you pick up a book for the camera. Take a look at http://www.friedmanarchives.com/rebelxsi/index.htm, or head to a book store and grab a field guide. These books have very good general photography info combined with easy to read instructions specific to one camera model.

Now go take some photos.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
OK, so I just put the camera in auto and snapped a couple of pics. They are all much better than what I had before. Here's a few samples.

I've never been able to get a good shot of this cat. He always looked like a black smudge with eyes. I chose this shot because his expression reminded me of Alex.

Here's the watch I originally wanted to shoot. It looks like I'll need a macro lens if I want to get better close ups than this. I do find the extreme close up shots intriguing.

The dealer demo I got with the watch.

And finally, my little Charlie.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
great pics dave. next step would be an external flash :) 430EXII or above

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis