Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
great pics dave. next step would be an external flash :) 430EXII or above
Great...one more toy I won't know how to use properly.:D

I can see the value of that suggestion because this is the only good watch shot I was able to get. Glare/reflection was a big issue.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Great...one more toy I won't know how to use properly.:D

I can see the value of that suggestion because this is the only good watch shot I was able to get. Glare/reflection was a big issue.
don't worry, i don't know how to use one as well ... just smack it on ... and keep firing auto :)

you just need to bounce the flash somewhere OR put a stofen diffuser on it

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
don't worry, i don't know how to use one as well ... just smack it on ... and keep firing auto :)

you just need to bounce the flash somewhere OR put a stofen diffuser on it
The stofen is actually quite harsh, I recommend bounce cards, or mini soft boxes.

SheepStar

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
The stofen is actually quite harsh, I recommend bounce cards, or mini soft boxes.

SheepStar
no non-serious shooter would ever bother with the softboxes and cards (unless it's the built-in one of the 580EX series)

i don't even bother ... in fact, i started buying lenses to try and avoid using flashes. but in photography, lighting is king. i just purchased remote flash triggers to attempt to get around the harsh lighting of on axis flash.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
This shot from the other thread is the type of shot that I would be most interested in shooting. What type of lens for the XSi would get me this type of image (not that I'm going to run right out and buy it). I just need to plan for the future.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
the person who took that shot used this:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/105vr.htm

nikon 105mm macro with VR.

basically the counterpart of the Canon 100 2.8L macro IS (around 1k USD)

aside from the lens, a tripod i think is a necessity + proper lighting

p.s. details of a picture can be found on the exif data when you right click on the file/image and click properties (you have to save it to your PC first)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
OK, so I just put the camera in auto and snapped a couple of pics. They are all much better than what I had before. Here's a few samples.

I've never been able to get a good shot of this cat. He always looked like a black smudge with eyes. I chose this shot because his expression reminded me of Alex.

Here's the watch I originally wanted to shoot. It looks like I'll need a macro lens if I want to get better close ups than this. I do find the extreme close up shots intriguing.

The dealer demo I got with the watch.

And finally, my little Charlie.

Those are some nice cats!

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
All cats have multiple names. Black and white is Scrappy, aka Scrapper, Poopsie, Poo Poo, Pooper, Water Cat or Basement Cat. Orange is Charlie, aka Choo Choo, Choochie, or Floppy. The third cat is Munchie, aka Munch, Muncher, Munchie Bunch, Bunchy, Boo Boo, Boo Boo Kitty, Boobs or Boobster.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
All cats have multiple names. Black and white is Scrappy, aka Scrapper, Poopsie, Poo Poo, Pooper, Water Cat or Basement Cat. Orange is Charlie, aka Choo Choo, Choochie, or Floppy. The third cat is Munchie, aka Munch, Muncher, Munchie Bunch, Bunchy, Boo Boo, Boo Boo Kitty, Boobs or Boobster.

Remember Dave...toke, toke, pass:D

we do he same multi name thing...:)

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, blame it on the wife. :D
Once, just once, I'd like to live in a clean house...no cat hair on the floor and on the beds, no stepping in cat puke and hairballs in the morning, no cat food strewn about the kitchen, no water bowl in the bathroom sink...you know, like normal people live. I'm glad we're down to three and I'm just waiting patiently for them to die off of natural causes (that cannot be traced back to me).;)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
no non-serious shooter would ever bother with the softboxes and cards (unless it's the built-in one of the 580EX series)

i don't even bother ... in fact, i started buying lenses to try and avoid using flashes. but in photography, lighting is king. i just purchased remote flash triggers to attempt to get around the harsh lighting of on axis flash.
The soft box I have was 39 dollars, folds flat, and makes for great soft lighting. It's really not as much would as it seems. You can still bounce with it too, and it has flaps on the top and bottom to direct light (light still passes through a white sheet on the flaps).

http://www.bccamera.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_541&products_id=3440

SheepStar

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis