Help with 7.1.4 Atmos

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks!

I hope I can get this project done within this week.

I think that VTF-3 MK5HP DualDrive package looks good. The PB16 is very expensive and as you said, it will probably be unbalance for the rear seat people. I am trying to see SVS dual package but I cant find any. The SVS is easier to find in my local stores area.
I don't know why you are looking at Klipsch RF82s on that budget. I don't think those are bad speakers, but they wound not be my first choice for a 10K system by a long shot. However, they are powerful, and they don't look bad. If the speakers do not have to look nice, consider some QSC K series II PA speakers for the front stage. Very powerful and very accurate sound quality. I would also look at some JTR Single 8 HT speakers for the front stage. JTR uses very high-quality drivers, those are bound to sound great. I have heard many JTR speakers, they have always sounded quite good. If you need a speaker that looks pretty, I would look at the SVS Ultra speakers, although the QSC and JTR speakers will be quite a bit more powerful.

For the surrounds, you do not need as powerful speakers as the front stage. For the back-surrounds and side-surrounds, I would get some bookshelf speakers, the Klipsch bookshelf speakers would likely be fine here. You might also look at some JBL LSR308s or Hsu Research CCB-8 speakers for side surrounds. By the way, you will not want to use those bipole Klipsch surround speakers for an Atmos install. They will mess up the surround sound stage for anything beyond. 5.1, stay away from that type of speaker. Dolby specifies monopole speakers for Atmos, so just use either regular bookshelf speakers for the rear and side surrounds or use in-walls.

The Paradigm subwoofer you are looking at is a joke for a dedicated theater system, but I think you know that by now. The Hsu subwoofers are very good. In a 10K system, you could probably get three VTF15h mk2 or four VTF3 mk5s, and have a frequency response so good that it will scarcely need any EQing. I really like the new Outlaw Audio Ultra-X13 as well. The SVS subs are good, but the Ultra series will eat up too much of that 10k budget.

If you are going to do Atmos, use in-ceiling speakers for the 'height' channels. try to stay away from the up-firing atmos-module speakers. You need to read this guide if you are going for an Atmos installation. Otherwise you risk making a mess of your system.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
To be honest, given the performance of the 3mk5s we have, I can't really imagine PB16s...not in a room the size of mine.

That's from a guy seriously thinking of adding a 3rd 3mk5, to get the nearfield sub back!
As far as burst output goes for a PB16 vs two VTF-3 mk5s, the PB16 will have an advantage at 16 Hz. They would be about even from 20 Hz to 31 Hz, but from 40 Hz and above, two VTF-3 mk5s would have an output advantage. The thing is, you can just about get three VTF-3 mk5s for the price of one PB16-Ultra. The Ultra is a killer sub though, but the weight will also kill your back. Even for two people, it is a monster to pick up. Furniture sliders are absolutely required.

J

Jhon

Enthusiast
So if I understand all your comments, I should go for the best, SVS PB16 Ultra and then latter on add another one. I just dont feel like spending $4.5k only on subs one shot. I still need projector, screen sofas etc. hahaha.

So it is better to get ONE the best for now and keep adding latter when the money comes back lol.
You guys changed my mind, i was thinking to do dual SB13 but i guess it is better to own 1 great sub then 2 medium.

What do you think?

Edit: The 10k budget is only for the sound, the other parts is on another budget lol.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Oops, I didn't read your post closely and thought you meant 10k for the speakers alone. If it is for the whole system, that is different. The components I suggested would be much too expensive. Spending $2k on subs alone in that budget is probably too much, especially if you have to buy seating too. You will wanted ported subwoofers in a room like that as well, and I would get at least two subs, not one mega subwoofer.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
So if I understand all your comments, I should go for the best, SVS PB16 Ultra and then latter on add another one. I just dont feel like spending $4.5k only on subs one shot. I still need projector, screen sofas etc. hahaha.

So it is better to get ONE the best for now and keep adding latter when the money comes back lol.
You guys changed my mind, i was thinking to do dual SB13 but i guess it is better to own 1 great sub then 2 medium.

What do you think?

Edit: The 10k budget is only for the sound, the other parts is on another budget lol.
For HT I'd stick with the ported subs so PB13 over the SB13, but two of those over 1 PB16 would be my choice if SVS is the brand you're going with....coming from the Paradigm, you're way ahead performance wise with the PB13.

J

Jhon

Enthusiast
For HT I'd stick with the ported subs so PB13 over the SB13, but two of those over 1 PB16 would be my choice if SVS is the brand you're going with....coming from the Paradigm, you're way ahead performance wise with the PB13.
So you think 2 x PB13 Is better then 1x PB16 even tho I could add another PB16 9-12 months latter?

2channel lover

Oops, I didn't read your post closely and thought you meant 10k for the speakers alone. If it is for the whole system, that is different. The components I suggested would be much too expensive. Spending $2k on subs alone in that budget is probably too much, especially if you have to buy seating too. You will wanted ported subwoofers in a room like that as well, and I would get at least two subs, not one mega subwoofer.
He seems to like SVS, maybe local access IIRC, and two pb13s gets him in around $1800.

2channel lover

So you think 2 x PB13 Is better then 1x PB16 even tho I could add another PB16 9-12 months latter?
For a 2800 cu ft space...yes, two pb13s would be more than adequate. That said, it's a moral sin to under sub your HT room...over sub, not so much...lol so if you want the big boy, get it.

I'm with Shady on the speaker choices...nothing wrong with what you've pointed out. Klipsch are well respected speakers, but with two pb13s, you have $8k remaining for speakers and AVR...you could do better.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
He seems to like SVS, maybe local access IIRC, and two pb13s gets him in around $1800.
He has 10K to spend on everything, and two PB13s would cost over a third of his budget. He still has to buy everything else including furniture. In that budget, I would allocate maybe 1500 for subs at the very most, not 3600. I would look into getting a couple of good 12"s, and maybe adding a couple more later if finances allow. Furniture will cost a lot. Projector will cost a good chunk, as will a good screen. The AVR will cost at least 1500 itself for the kind of system he wants, and more likely $2k. And he will want 11 speakers too, and this is not to mention all the accessories a system like this needs. Overspending on one thing hurts everything else.

J

Jhon

Enthusiast
The reason why I like SVS, it is because 1. I can find it in local stores and 2. I went to the store today and I tried the PB13. It was amazing!!!! The room was slightly smaller then mine (18 x 13).

J

Jhon

Enthusiast
He has 10K to spend on everything, and two PB13s would cost over a third of his budget. He still has to buy everything else including furniture. In that budget, I would allocate maybe 1500 for subs at the very most, not 3600. I would look into getting a couple of good 12"s, and maybe adding a couple more later if finances allow. Furniture will cost a lot. Projector will cost a good chunk, as will a good screen. The AVR will cost at least 1500 itself for the kind of system he wants, and more likely $2k. And he will want 11 speakers too, and this is not to mention all the accessories a system like this needs. Overspending on one thing hurts everything else.
Shady, you got it wrong.

The mentioned budget is not for the furniture, it is just for the speakers/receiver. I have room for good stuff!

If the Klipsch RF82ii is not so great for the value, how about RF-7 ii? I am trying to chose speakers that are easy to find in my area. I am not in the US, I live in Canada, Montreal.

The speakers you mentioned, QSC looks good and if the sound quality is amazing, I don't mid switching to it. The only problem I am worried is if I can mix match speakers with Klipsch?

2channel lover

Oh...I thought he said 10k on speakers/electronics...yeah we'd have to pull back...the 16 shouldn't be in this conversation...the dual price pkg is 1800 on the pb13.

J

Jhon

Enthusiast
Oh...I thought he said 10k on speakers/electronics...yeah we'd have to pull back...the 16 shouldn't be in this conversation...the dual price pkg is 1800 on the pb13.
Guys!!

I repeat, the budget is 10k for the speakers/subs/receiver! Stop being confuse!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The dual price package on the PB13 is 1800 each, 3600 together. That is still a lot of dough. For that kind of dosh, I would go for three PC12-Plus subs. The cylinder subs are a lot easier to use than the box subs.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The dual price package on the PB13 is 1800 each, 3600 together. That is still a lot of dough. For that kind of dosh, I would go for three PC12-Plus subs. The cylinder subs are a lot easier to use than the box subs.
Or the VTF-3 MK5 dual drive package from Hsu? There's some bang for buck there. That's what I own and they do a nice job in my large room.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Shady, you got it wrong.

The mentioned budget is not for the furniture, it is just for the speakers/receiver. I have room for good stuff!

If the Klipsch RF82ii is not so great for the value, how about RF-7 ii? I am trying to chose speakers that are easy to find in my area. I am not in the US, I live in Canada, Montreal.

The speakers you mentioned, QSC looks good and if the sound quality is amazing, I don't mid switching to it. The only problem I am worried is if I can mix match speakers with Klipsch?
You don't want to mix the QSC speakers with Klipsch. If you have a pro-audio store around you that stock the QSC speakers, call them up and ask if they have some set up to demo. The QSC are self-powered so they don't draw current from the AVR amplifier. That is good, because it lessens the heat generated by the amp and therefore extends its life. Get the QSC K speakers for a front stage, some JBL LSRs for surrounds, and you won't need an amplifier, you can just get a processor, since your speakers will all be self-powered.

RF7 II speakers would be better than RF82 speakers, but the RF7s are a lot more expensive.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So, a guy shows up with a decent budget and gets advice to mix and match speakers for a "high end" setup?
8700 for ultra towers, 4BS, a CC and 4 prime elevation speakers and 2 pc12pluses. That leaves1300 for a denon 4300 for 1000.00 from a4l and an amp to do 11channels. Plenty more options too, just some quick math. Axiom is in Canada ay! Have you looked there.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Or the VTF-3 MK5 dual drive package from Hsu? There's some bang for buck there. That's what I own and they do a nice job in my large room.
The exchange rate of the Canadian dollar vs the US dollar is very bad right now, so anything he buys from the US will cost a lot more. Even so, the Hsu subs would still be a good deal, but I wouldn't be surprised if all the fees and duties took their price up to something like 1500 each.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis