Help with 7.1.4 Atmos

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Glad the OP is underway and the subs are very capable. Now let's start the clock on "I want more" :p:D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Agreed...even though I do prioritize music, but have always felt if I covered the music well, I'm covering movies particularly if I paid special attention to the CC.

You just threw out something that makes me wonder though if I'm missing something. Surrounds...I went with R5Bi for side surrounds...they seems to be great from what I can tell for movies, but for the mult channel SACDs...some send a healthy signal to the rears and I'm considering an upgrade to something like the mini Phils.
Hmmmm....I'll tread a little lightly here but I do have my convictions, and you'll likely get recommendations to keep your r5b's(which are very nice) as surround isn't that big a deal. IMO however(and I believe the good Dr tls), I don't believe in bulking up the front end only to just get by on the back end. To me, surround isn't about a great front stage, and "surround effects" in the back. They're both components of the same thing, and imo should be treated similarly with components and positioning. Obviously I know the front has much more information and a bigger load to bear, but the system works together so within reason, each speaker should be qualitatively similar. Especially with soundtracks as they are today. I want my pannining effects from front to back to be as similar and seamless as my left to right. Not just some random sounds back there. Do I think an upgrade would be worth it? Yes I do. But that's just me...?

Hope that's not a derail lol

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hmmmm....I'll tread a little lightly here but I do have my convictions, and you'll likely get recommendations to keep your r5b's(which are very nice) as surround isn't that big a deal. IMO however(and I believe the good Dr tls), I don't believe in bulking up the front end only to just get by on the back end. To me, surround isn't about a great front stage, and "surround effects" in the back. They're both components of the same thing, and imo should be treated similarly with components and positioning. Obviously I know the front has much more information and a bigger load to bear, but the system works together so within reason, each speaker should be qualitatively similar. Especially with soundtracks as they are today. I want my pannining effects from front to back to be as similar and seamless as my left to right. Not just some random sounds back there. Do I think an upgrade would be worth it? Yes I do. But that's just me...?

Interesting thoughts...I've been pleasantly surprised by the r5bis...I ran them as mains for about 20 hrs or so because the Oppo wasn't in yet just to hear them. Ironically, when I ordered the Salks (in about a month I can realistically start counting down :D) I was prepared to go Salks all the way around with the Songsurround. Maybe not intently, but Jim kind of talked me out of it in a way.

As nice as they are I know the RBHs are not in the class of the mini Phils. Like I was saying, quite a few of these multichannel sacds send to the rear channels. I think my game plan of moving the B&Ws to the rear when the Salks do arrive is a good one...that way I'll know for sure if I'm missing anything.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

I agree with you, however (you knew that was coming! :p), if the budget is tight and funds are limited I would still recommend focusing on the front 3. He can use the r5b's for now and upgrade the surrounds later with matching speakers if he chooses. I just recently got everything matching in my setup and while it is better, it's more subtle to me. I can live with the Promonitor 1000's I was using.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Interesting thoughts...I've been pleasantly surprised by the r5bis...I ran them as mains for about 20 hrs or so because the Oppo wasn't in yet just to hear them. Ironically, when I ordered the Salks (in about a month I can realistically start counting down :D) I was prepared to go Salks all the way around with the Songsurround. Maybe not intently, but Jim kind of talked me out of it in a way.

As nice as they are I know the RBHs are not in the class of the mini Phils. Like I was saying, quite a few of these multichannel sacds send to the rear channels. I think my game plan of moving the B&Ws to the rear when the Salks do arrive is a good one...that way I'll know for sure if I'm missing anything.
I think that will be quite revelatory, and fun as well. The only thing for me personally is I don't think surrounds at ear level work as intended, as much as getting them up atmos notwithstanding. Curious to see how this works out.

I agree with you, however (you knew that was coming! :p), if the budget is tight and funds are limited I would still recommend focusing on the front 3. He can use the r5b's for now and upgrade the surrounds later with matching speakers if he chooses. I just recently got everything matching in my setup and while it is better, it's more subtle to me. I can live with the Promonitor 1000's I was using.
Hey poges! Indeed I knew that was coming lol. I'd have it no other way. So, my question is, even though you could live with the DT's as surrounds, if you didn't NEED to skimp, would you? Me thinks...no. In the case of @2channel lover and the op, I don't see budget as a defining factor. Maybe my senses of observation aren't that great but I just kinda got that feeling. Btw, nice to see you had fun with buck today. I still have to get to tlsguys house. Man I've just been too busy. Ugh...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think that will be quite revelatory, and fun as well. The only thing for me personally is I don't think surrounds at ear level work as intended, as much as getting them up atmos notwithstanding. Curious to see how this works out.

Hey poges! Indeed I knew that was coming lol. I'd have it no other way. So, my question is, even though you could live with the DT's as surrounds, if you didn't NEED to skimp, would you? Me thinks...no. In the case of @2channel lover and the op, I don't see budget as a defining factor. Maybe my senses of observation aren't that great but I just kinda got that feeling. Btw, nice to see you had fun with buck today. I still have to get to tlsguys house. Man I've just been too busy. Ugh...
Yes. With no budget restraints I would match everything up (as I eventually did). I also think it's more important if you're watching concerts and listening to sacd's.

I'm always budget conscious in my suggestions. I've been blowing wisely spending a lot of money lately on audio. It gets a little scary... :eek:

*Edit: I had a lot of fun hanging out with Buck today. The Salk's he has are very legit. They sound amazing.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Yes. With no budget restraints I would match everything up (as I eventually did). I also think it's more important if you're watching concerts and listening to sacd's.

I'm always budget conscious in my suggestions. I've been blowing wisely spending a lot of money lately on audio. It gets a little scary... :eek:

*Edit: I had a lot of fun hanging out with Buck today. The Salk's he has are very legit. They sound amazing.
Anything Dennis has a hand in is always good, and Jim is great cabinet artisan. IMHO the best bang for the buck furniture grade cabinets and we'll designed Speakers

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Anything Dennis has a hand in is always good, and Jim is great cabinet artisan. IMHO the best bang for the buck furniture grade cabinets and we'll designed Speakers
They are striking. Very beautiful and well made. He didn't skimp on anything. Even the backs are finished in the same way and they sound very, very good. It would be hard for me to choose a favorite between his and mine.

It's hard to quantify though because it isn't really apples to apples. My room is so much bigger. I sit 13' from the front stage and I'm able to get 11' between my front 2. He's in a 10x10x10 cube. A cube that he is able to squeeze some very good sound out of with his nearfield setup. I'm very impressed with the Songtowers, but the difference in the rooms made for 2 completely different experiences.

It really was pretty fun hearing another hifi setup and having Buck over to listen to mine.

J

Jhon

Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

Once again, thanks a lot for all your help and comments. I hope to become a pro on audio anytime latter! haha.

My HT will be mostly based for Movies and TV Series. I don't seat much just to watch concert or listen to music. The daily music I listen is mostly in the living room / kitchen / shower loll! This HT is for my Home Cinema dedicated room in the basement.

Today I went to the store and I paid the deposit. I am getting the following:
Klipsh RF-7ii x 2 (Floorstanding)
Klipsh RC-64ii x 2 (Center)
Klipsh R-14s x 4 (Surround)
Klipsh CDT-3650-C ii x 4 (Atmos)
SVS PB13 x 2 (everything insisted!!!) lolll

What do you think of the Surround and Atmos? I hope the performance of these will be good because Klipsh for surround doesn't have much option except for bipole which is not recommended. For the Atmos, I chose a medium category (Aluminium tweeter instead of titanium)

For the AVR / Amps, I still didn't make my mind. Some people say 4300 + extra amp, others say 6300 for full system 11 channels.
The store recommended Marantz SR6012 with an extra amp Marantz MM7025.
Please help me with the receiver/amp set up.

Also getting the oppo 203 recommended by one of you guys.

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
Hi Guys,

Once again, thanks a lot for all your help and comments. I hope to become a pro on audio anytime latter! haha.

My HT will be mostly based for Movies and TV Series. I don't seat much just to watch concert or listen to music. The daily music I listen is mostly in the living room / kitchen / shower loll! This HT is for my Home Cinema dedicated room in the basement.

What do you think of the Surround and Atmos? I hope the performance of these will be good because Klipsh for surround doesn't have much option except for bipole which is not recommended. For the Atmos, I chose a medium category (Aluminium tweeter instead of titanium)

For the AVR / Amps, I still didn't make my mind. Some people say 4300 + extra amp, others say 6300 for full system 11 channels.

You have done well, grasshopper. A couple of things. Make sure you use appropriate wire gauge. Monoprice has affordable connectors and cables. Be flexible about sub locations.

As stated I have a Denon 5200 that's a few years old but will handle 9.2 alone. I noticed that it does run hot in that configuration and needs fans for cooling. I decided for more power and something to help spread the heat load. The Monolith 7 now does the bulk of the heavy lifting so...you would be fine with the Marantz + amp setup. The Denon mentioned is a good choice too if it can set outside of an enclosed cabinet. Both brands are pretty close in performance. Do a side by side comparison of all the whistles and bells. Both will do a good job of decoding. For me personally I'd compare the quantity of pre-outs. This is where upgrading one day will come into play.

Lastly after you have your speakers placed use that Audessy calibration. It works very well till you decide to start doing your own calibration. Feel free to bug the gear heads here for settings.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hi Guys,

Great job!I think you could have gotten 8" ceiling speakers for that kind of money, but I trust you didn't have to pay rack rate with a order of this size from one dealer. Overall, your surround pkg looks good.

On the AVR/amps...4300 or 6012 equates to 6 in one hand, half dozen in the other...slight cosmetic difference, but I imagine the guts inside will be the same. I don't know how often you will use this system but given it's a dedicated theater in your basement I would imagine the SPL level could get up there...I'd good with the lower priced AVR that can process all the channels and add a power amp to supplement. If you want to buy local, the Marantz, 7025 is okay for 2 channel, but expensive.

I was one mentioning the Oppo203...cherry on top, nice 4k source for the money.

J

Jhon

Enthusiast
Great job!I think you could have gotten 8" ceiling speakers for that kind of money, but I trust you didn't have to pay rack rate with a order of this size from one dealer. Overall, your surround pkg looks good.

On the AVR/amps...4300 or 6012 equates to 6 in one hand, half dozen in the other...slight cosmetic difference, but I imagine the guts inside will be the same. I don't know how often you will use this system but given it's a dedicated theater in your basement I would imagine the SPL level could get up there...I'd good with the lower priced AVR that can process all the channels and add a power amp to supplement. If you want to buy local, the Marantz, 7025 is okay for 2 channel, but expensive.

I was one mentioning the Oppo203...cherry on top, nice 4k source for the money.
Thanks again for the comments!

I finally went with the Denon X6300H and I will run the whole system with it. I am putting all the electronic in a rack with fans (AVR, Control4, PS4, TV Receiver etc.) It will look better and more organize.

Once I am done with everything in about 2 weeks, I will post pictures! :)

<3

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
Thanks again for the comments!

I finally went with the Denon X6300H and I will run the whole system with it. I am putting all the electronic in a rack with fans (AVR, Control4, PS4, TV Receiver etc.) It will look better and more organize.

Once I am done with everything in about 2 weeks, I will post pictures! :)

<3
That's a safe bet there. Beware, the Denon manual can be really long and repetitive. Mine was 350 pages but since it's on disc you can move through it quickly. Run the TV straight through the Denon. And when the time comes...you can always add an amp later.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis