Help with 7.1.4 Atmos

J

Jhon

Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum.

I know there is another post of Atmos which I read it all but my questions are different.

I have a budget of like 10k, more or less.

I was thinking to set up the following HT. I have a room in the basement for dedicated for it. I will be using 2 sofa, one behind the other of 3 seats each. The sofa behind is slightly elevated compared to the front Sofa.

2 x Klipsch RF82 II (Front)
4 x Klipsch RS42 (2 on side 2 on the back, wall mounted)
1 x Klipsch RC42 (Center)
1 x Paradignm UltraCube 10 (Subwoofer)
4 x RP140SA Atmos (2 Front & 2 Back)

First question, since my back surround sound (RS42) is wall mounted, could I use the 2 Atmos on the back below them using a speaker stand? The 2 front Atmos will be standing on top of the Front speakers.

Second, If I understand well, I need a Receiver of 11.2 channels. Is it better if I go with a Receiver of 9.2, lets say Denon X4300H which are in discounted price now and add a pre-amp for the other channels? Or is it really recommended to go with a Receiver full 11.2 channels like X6300H?

Third, is it enough with the central speaker I chose or is it better to go with 4 woofers instead of 2?

If you have any other suggestion on better speaker for the value or better receiver, I am open. I am trying to do something high end.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Just. Couple things first. How big is the room? If you want a high end rig, I'd advise against upfiring modules and recommend in/on ceiling placement for atmos speakers, but sometimes practicality wins. Also, will recommend looking at subs from Rythmik, hsu, psa, svs etc. you'll get much better performance for your dollar and depending on the room size, the little paradigm will have an uphill battle it can't possibly win.
As the 4300 can process 11.2 I'd go that way and buy an amp for the mains. If you get one from http://www.accessories4less.com/ you can likely use the extra money for subs or external amps. Pro amps like crown and Yamaha represent good value and the secondary market is budget friendly.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum.

I know there is another post of Atmos which I read it all but my questions are different.

I have a budget of like 10k, more or less.

I was thinking to set up the following HT. I have a room in the basement for dedicated for it. I will be using 2 sofa, one behind the other of 3 seats each. The sofa behind is slightly elevated compared to the front Sofa.

2 x Klipsch RF82 II (Front)
4 x Klipsch RS42 (2 on side 2 on the back, wall mounted)
1 x Klipsch RC42 (Center)
1 x Paradignm UltraCube 10 (Subwoofer)
4 x RP140SA Atmos (2 Front & 2 Back)

First question, since my back surround sound (RS42) is wall mounted, could I use the 2 Atmos on the back below them using a speaker stand? The 2 front Atmos will be standing on top of the Front speakers.

Second, If I understand well, I need a Receiver of 11.2 channels. Is it better if I go with a Receiver of 9.2, lets say Denon X4300H which are in discounted price now and add a pre-amp for the other channels? Or is it really recommended to go with a Receiver full 11.2 channels like X6300H?

Third, is it enough with the central speaker I chose or is it better to go with 4 woofers instead of 2?

If you have any other suggestion on better speaker for the value or better receiver, I am open. I am trying to do something high end.
1ST Q...That should work fine...the only concern I would have would be the height relative to the front Atmos atop the mains which are 43+" But it sounds like the rear speaker stands will be at least 6-8" higher if they are on the higher platform with the rear sofa.

2ND Q...got for an AVR that can handle all the channels in one box...trying to marry a 2nd processor to the system is just asking for problems while only saving a few hundred bucks.

3RD Q...I don't know how large the room is, but it's a dedicated HT room, I would up the ante on the CC if I was at all concerned if it might not be enough.

IMO...ditch the Paradigm sub...for a little bit more money you can get two HSU VTF3 mk5 subs that will likely rock that space. A little pricer are SVS or PSA subs, but all will be better values that the Paradigm sub.

Sounds like a fun project...good luck with it.

J

Jhon

Enthusiast
Just. Couple things first. How big is the room? If you want a high end rig, I'd advise against upfiring modules and recommend in/on ceiling placement for atmos speakers, but sometimes practicality wins. Also, will recommend looking at subs from Rythmik, hsu, psa, svs etc. you'll get much better performance for your dollar and depending on the room size, the little paradigm will have an uphill battle it can't possibly win.
As the 4300 can process 11.2 I'd go that way and buy an amp for the mains. If you get one from http://www.accessories4less.com/ you can likely use the extra money for subs or external amps. Pro amps like crown and Yamaha represent good value and the secondary market is budget friendly.
So you say the Ultracube 10 wont do the job in a big room. My room is 24 x 13 foot (7.3M x 4M). I was looking into your suggestion, and I like the SVS SB13-Ultra Sub. What do you think?

I could do 4 Atmos speaker on the ceiling instead of the "upfiring". Installation is not a problem. Are you sure it is better then "upfiring" because I read articles from Dolby saying that "upfiring" is better.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Not a chance

So you say the Ultracube 10 wont do the job in a big room. My room is 24 x 13 foot (7.3M x 4M). I was looking into your suggestion, and I like the SVS SB13-Ultra Sub. What do you think?

I could do 4 Atmos speaker on the ceiling instead of the "upfiring". Installation is not a problem. Are you sure it is better then "upfiring" because I read articles from Dolby saying that "upfiring" is better.

J

Jhon

Enthusiast
1ST Q...That should work fine...the only concern I would have would be the height relative to the front Atmos atop the mains which are 43+" But it sounds like the rear speaker stands will be at least 6-8" higher if they are on the higher platform with the rear sofa.

2ND Q...got for an AVR that can handle all the channels in one box...trying to marry a 2nd processor to the system is just asking for problems while only saving a few hundred bucks.

3RD Q...I don't know how large the room is, but it's a dedicated HT room, I would up the ante on the CC if I was at all concerned if it might not be enough.

IMO...ditch the Paradigm sub...for a little bit more money you can get two HSU VTF3 mk5 subs that will likely rock that space. A little pricer are SVS or PSA subs, but all will be better values that the Paradigm sub.

Sounds like a fun project...good luck with it.
First, Thanks for your suggestion.

I will definitely go for better subs, budget is not a problem. I hope you guys can help me find the right one. How about the SVS SB13 Ultra Sub?

For the AVR, I was almost convinced to get the 11.2 channels and now that you said so, I am even more convinced. I think Denon pairs up well with Klipsch which is what I read in some articles. I will have to get the X6300H.

For the Atmos speaker, the ceiling of my Cinema room is about 8-9 feet height. I am still debating if I use on ceiling speakers of "upfiring"

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I'd definitely go with in ceiling speakers.

As for the sub, I think you'd be better served by a ported sub, especially for movies. Check out the pc13-ultra if you are open to cylinder shaped subs. Although, since you are intending to have multiple viewing areas I would consider going with dual subs to make the bass response more even over multiple seating positions. Both Hsu and SVS usually offer dual sub packages which will allow you to save a few bucks.

For example:
VTF3-mk5 dual package

2channel lover

First, Thanks for your suggestion.

I will definitely go for better subs, budget is not a problem. I hope you guys can help me find the right one. How about the SVS SB13 Ultra Sub?

For the AVR, I was almost convinced to get the 11.2 channels and now that you said so, I am even more convinced. I think Denon pairs up well with Klipsch which is what I read in some articles. I will have to get the X6300H.

For the Atmos speaker, the ceiling of my Cinema room is about 8-9 feet height. I am still debating if I use on ceiling speakers of "upfiring"
Subs...your space is roughly 2500 to 2800 cu ft depending on ceiling height 8 or 9'. If you stick with SVS, HSU, PSA, or Rythmik as someone else pointed out you will not be disappointed as all are high performance subs.You can buy 1 killer sub such as the SVS pb16, or the HSU VTF 15H mk2 and it will do the job, but there's a good chance that the bass will not be balanced. I.E. not everyone in the room will hear or feel the same effects of the sub as the people seated in the sweet spot.

You're better off performance wise to get two smaller subs that way you can balance out the sub effect. I have the HSU VTF3mk5 x 2 in my HT space...17x18x9' ceiling (roughly 2800 cu ft as well). They take action movies to a whole new level and from a music stand point they freed up my mains to handle mid bass and higher frequencies, sounds better....the dual pkg deal is hard to beat imo.

AVR...I like @William Lemmerhirt thoughts of adding a power amp to the 4300 since it does the processing for 11.2. Or, you could ramp up and get the 6300, but adding a power amp to handle the front channels will take a lot of the work load off the 4300.

Atmos...I demoed a Klipsch upfiring atmos system, and a Paradigm system with in ceiling speakers...it wasn't really an apples to apples comparison as the content was different. Both were effective, but the in ceiling system offered a more realistic 3D experience...if you have the ceiling access to do the wiring, I'd go in ceiling atmos.

J

Jhon

Enthusiast
Subs...your space is roughly 2500 to 2800 cu ft depending on ceiling height 8 or 9'. If you stick with SVS, HSU, PSA, or Rythmik as someone else pointed out you will not be disappointed as all are high performance subs.You can buy 1 killer sub such as the SVS pb16, or the HSU VTF 15H mk2 and it will do the job, but there's a good chance that the bass will not be balanced. I.E. not everyone in the room will hear or feel the same effects of the sub as the people seated in the sweet spot.

You're better off performance wise to get two smaller subs that way you can balance out the sub effect. I have the HSU VTF3mk5 x 2 in my HT space...17x18x9' ceiling (roughly 2800 cu ft as well). They take action movies to a whole new level and from a music stand point they freed up my mains to handle mid bass and higher frequencies, sounds better....the dual pkg deal is hard to beat imo.

AVR...I like @William Lemmerhirt thoughts of adding a power amp to the 4300 since it does the processing for 11.2. Or, you could ramp up and get the 6300, but adding a power amp to handle the front channels will take a lot of the work load off the 4300.

Atmos...I demoed a Klipsch upfiring atmos system, and a Paradigm system with in ceiling speakers...it wasn't really an apples to apples comparison as the content was different. Both were effective, but the in ceiling system offered a more realistic 3D experience...if you have the ceiling access to do the wiring, I'd go in ceiling atmos.
Thanks!

I hope I can get this project done within this week.

I think that VTF-3 MK5HP DualDrive package looks good. The PB16 is very expensive and as you said, it will probably be unbalance for the rear seat people. I am trying to see SVS dual package but I cant find any. The SVS is easier to find in my local stores area.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Their is
Thanks!

I think that VTF-3 MK5HP DualDrive package looks good. The PB16 is very expensive and as you said, it will probably be unbalance for the rear seat people. I am trying to see SVS dual package but I cant find any. The SVS is easier to find in my local stores area.
There is an option on the SVS website to add a second subwoofer. It automatically applies a discount on addition of the second.

SVS PC12-plus

Right under the price for one sub it has a button that says "Go Dual and Save."

You won't find HSU in stores, they are online only.

2channel lover

Thanks!

A week? Ambitious! lol....My advice is take your time and get it right the 1st time.

Yeah, the pb16 I just mentioned as a point of reference, one great sub is not better than two very good subs. The pb13 is definitely a more expensive option over the HSU, but if you can get the SVS locally once you weigh the shipping cost cost, sales tax, etc...maybe they're a little closer in price for you.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Their is

There is an option on the SVS website to add a second subwoofer. It automatically applies a discount on addition of the second.

SVS PC12-plus

Right under the price for one sub it has a button that says "Go Dual and Save."

You won't find HSU in stores, they are online only.
I was going to recommend a pair of those as 2/3 of my subs are those. Pc 12 pluses are great. For close to the same money though, the rythmik fv15hp is a better choice.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I really like my Hsu's. They don't run as much and offer very similar performance. If you can get the VTF-3 dual package (what I have) or only one PB16, I'd go with the duals. If you like the look of SVS (like I do), A pair of PB13 Ultras or PC 13 Ultras will offer similar performance to the MK's

If I had the cash, I'd own a pair (or 2) of PB16 Ultras.

2channel lover

I really like my Hsu's. They don't run as much and offer very similar performance. If you can get the VTF-3 dual package (what I have) or only one PB16, I'd go with the duals. If you like the look of SVS (like I do), A pair of PB13 Ultras or PC 13 Ultras will offer similar performance to the MK's

If I had the cash, I'd own a pair (or 2) of PB16 Ultras.
To be honest, given the performance of the 3mk5s we have, I can't really imagine PB16s...not in a room the size of mine.

That's from a guy seriously thinking of adding a 3rd 3mk5, to get the nearfield sub back!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
To be honest, given the performance of the 3mk5s we have, I can't really imagine PB16s...not in a room the size of mine.

That's from a guy seriously thinking of adding a 3rd 3mk5, to get the nearfield sub back!
I'm getting awesome performance from the MK5's. I just love the way the Ultra line looks. It would be cool to have my system 100% matched too.

That price tho... man, I know you get a lot with that price tag, but I can buy four MK5's for the the price of 2 PB16's with a nice chunk of change left over. If I do anything it'll probably be buying another pair of MK5's for near field.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Just to add another perspective. IMO, one should start with a single version of the best sub they can afford vs 2 that aren't quite as good. Then as soon as funds are available buy a second, third, and forth as desired. I'd rather have 1 great sub than 4 half asses ones. To be clear though, the subs we're all recommending in the thread are more similar than different so to the other guys, I'd say the op would surely be satisfied with the recommendations above.
That was supposed to be more eloquent but you know what I mean. Dang kids in the house lol...

2channel lover

Just to add another perspective. IMO, one should start with a single version of the best sub they can afford vs 2 that aren't quite as good. Then as soon as funds are available buy a second, third, and forth as desired. I'd rather have 1 great sub than 4 half asses ones. To be clear though, the subs we're all recommending in the thread are more similar than different so to the other guys, I'd say the op would surely be satisfied with the recommendations above.
That was supposed to be more eloquent but you know what I mean. Dang kids in the house lol...
That was my thinking...I was all set to buy 2...vtf 15h mk2 subs. Kevin @ HSU said, well, I'd love to sell you two of those, but for what you've shown me in the pics and layout, in good conscious if it were me I'd buy 2 vtf3mk5 instead.

But, it also ties into to this 2nd point in bold. He said don't get me wrong, the 15hmk2 is a better sub, but I don't really think you would benefit as much as someone with a larger room.

Last edited:

2channel lover

I'm getting awesome performance from the MK5's. I just love the way the Ultra line looks. It would be cool to have my system 100% matched too.

That price tho... man, I know you get a lot with that price tag, but I can buy four MK5's for the the price of 2 PB16's with a nice chunk of change left over. If I do anything it'll probably be buying another pair of MK5's for near field.
It did don on me to get the Salk-Rythmik 15 and match the speakers, but I wanted ported and the price was just more than I thought I needed to be spending with the HSU deal being considerably less regardless if I got the 15H mk2 or the 3mk5

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis