Hearing tones different each ear

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Measurement of the isolation of my in ears vs my regular cans:

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My guess is that the seal is pretty good. It certainly cuts the perceived volume of the mower considerably even with no music playing (ie in between songs). Music I'm listening to also doesn't disturb the outside world (ie my wife) when I'm doing other activities such as putting a few miles on the stationary bike while she watches TV.

Obviously it's not best practice to give up a sense when mowing the lawn, but I'm not sure how much worse that is than if I were to use ear plugs as hearing protection while I mowed either.
You raise some good points.

The issue of hearing damage is an intensity time curve, so spl and time are both important factors.

Now using a lawn mower, the device is right in front of you, so the chance of coming to grief is small.

I use hearing protection when using things like angle grinders, strimmers, leaf blowers and chain saws.

The big problem is the tractors, as the implements are behind me. When I first got them, I used hearing protection, but had some significant problems not being able the hear problems.

The old JD Model A makes quite a racket. However, I don't use it day in and day out, mainly in the winter to move snow. Fortunately a heavy blanket of snow in the trees really muffles the sound.

The problem now is that people these days seem to need sound where ever they go and their ears never get a break. The other problem is that this ghastly modern pop music has about zero dynamic range, so in reality it is always loud. A lot of this has to do with how music is produced these days with programs like Abelton Live, which really in essence have no dynamic range at all within a single voice.

I have been sitting thought auditions of student work this last year. And really what is on offer and what can actually be achieved with these highly touted expensive systems is appalling and pathetic. None of it worth the time of day.

The worst of it is that I think these types of productions have a very high chance of inducing permanent hearing damage, even if peak level is not excessive. I keep tabs on the spl. and it is in a very narrow range indeed. This means the average listening level is high compared to music that is worth serious consideration as suitable program.

All this is born out by the medical literature showing an explosive increase in noise induced hearing damage at earlier ages then seen previously.

This whole picture of the modern music industry I find highly discouraging.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Measurement of the isolation of my in ears vs my regular cans:
The big problem here is that for a good deal of the frequency range of your lawn mower is only suppressed by about 12 db.

So if the lawn mower has an Spl of 85 db at your ears, and it may well be higher than this, then the lower mid range is reduced to 73 db by the isolation of your in ear devices. To hear your music over the lawn mower, it must be at least 10 db over the mower, so you will be listening just over 80 db, under the most optimistic scenario. In the real world I suspect the situation is worse than that.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I appreciate the input! Could be an interesting experiment to measure the output of the mower. I've seen a wide range of numbers thrown out there for how loud they get, so it'd be nice to get a little better idea of where things stand.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I appreciate the input! Could be an interesting experiment to measure the output of the mower. I've seen a wide range of numbers thrown out there for how loud they get, so it'd be nice to get a little better idea of where things stand.
According to the Canadian Health and safety, it is 95 db at the ear. I have a feeling though that the newer OHV engines are significantly quieter. I should measure one.

This is their data. If they are right then you are likely listening over 90 db mowing the lawn.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Well per my meter, I may want to consider a lifestyle change. 85dB seems to be pretty dead on for my lawnmower, which even combined with the isolation is probably putting me into problematic territory.

I'm not sure that I spend enough time mowing the lawn for the exposure time to be a major issue there alone (my lawn isn't huge, so maybe 40 minutes of mowing time and it isn't a daily activity), but I don't really adjust the levels when I'm running/biking either and that could lead to problems when it's all taken in aggregate.

I'm not as worried about HT/music via my loudspeakers: my wife acts as a natural check against the volume. I'm sure if not for her, I'd be in much worse shape.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I read these post and can only think of what my brother told me who happens to be a Neurotologist in Jacksonville, Fl. If you feel it's loud, it is. I know one thing his business is booming thanks to kids playing loud music using ear buds, headphones. One kid told him when he asked why do you play the music so loud, the kid told him, it sounded good... The kid was 15 and has lost 65% of his hearing and my brother see this occurring each day. I personally got into the habit after I had my exam with my brother of using ear protection when I use any of my power tools and when I go to the pistol range, I use ear plugs plus ear muffs that protect at NNR 30db,(Noise Reduction Rating). Remember the threshold for pain is at about 120 - 140 dB SPL but sound begins to damage our hearing when it is above 85 dB SPL (for a 8 hour period). I like when people say, I'm not worried. Those are the people my brother and other Neurotogist see on a regular bases and that's what they told him, they weren't worried.

Your never too old to change and protect the only ears you got, when the damage is done, it's done.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Well per my meter, I may want to consider a lifestyle change. 85dB seems to be pretty dead on for my lawnmower, which even combined with the isolation is probably putting me into problematic territory.

I'm not sure that I spend enough time mowing the lawn for the exposure time to be a major issue there alone (my lawn isn't huge, so maybe 40 minutes of mowing time and it isn't a daily activity), but I don't really adjust the levels when I'm running/biking either and that could lead to problems when it's all taken in aggregate.

I'm not as worried about HT/music via my loudspeakers: my wife acts as a natural check against the volume. I'm sure if not for her, I'd be in much worse shape.
I think you are concentrating in the right area. Yes, you mow for 40 min twice a week, and that is probably only in the summer months. So that is low time exposure.

The problem with these portable devices, is that people take them everywhere, noisy streets, trains buses etc. So you have not only the time factor, but driving the spl, level above background even if that is attenuated.

The background has a psychological masking effect, so the spl at the ear is much higher than people realize.

So yes, focusing on portables and ear buds is I think the place to start, and use of ear protection using machinery as and when appropriate.

I have never understood the concept of speakers in every room and music in the ear as soon as you step outside. In this house we have two spaces for audio and that's it. As far as audio on the move, the car sound systems only.

I personally think that is plenty. The sound of silence has lots of virtues lost on the audio everywhere crowd.

Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL

Junior Audioholic
Dont known if mentioned but been at doctor had little wax in ear tough did't have it removed dont dare remove it my self either for now.
Think my beep in right ear went away, And now start hearing beep in left ear.
Probably flue still extremely worried.

if moved my rears up higher even tough might just be flue dont want to risk getting tinitus or making it worse.

few month's ago i already had small hole in my right ear i think water with pus little blood was comming out blank redish. Did't think it was anything bad.

My hearing i think remained fine to so was't worried probably arround first time i heared tones false.

anyway what i am more worried about that due having so powerfull subwoofer at lfe level 0 properly set up at refference level is being to loud and being cause off my damage'd hearing if damage'd at all considering its not due flue.

anyway normal mid to high freq down to 120 hz never exceed 80 dB

only subwoofer is going up to 100 dB during action scenes.

I'm worried its causing extreme hearing damage, or even just little.

Was watching back to the future trilogy.

when watching 3e movie heared violin's really false.

was watching it with my onkyo tx-nr609 volume at -14

which was 70-80 dB defiantly not more then 85 dB.

those movies dont even have much bass.

Btw for anyone wondering i have verry heavy autism.
Its likely that i might be over sensitive to sound.

Past few month's had lot migraine aura from left to right eye like 4 times.
presure on head.
heared tones false like 2 times.
when i was checking my eye's for what strength i need i was getting the idea i was about get migraine aura.

anyone familiar with glass strength i have -1.50c:0.25a:75 -1.50c:-0.25a:116

actualy if been through trying buy proper eye glasses but at 3 opticiens they where always duds just bad.

Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL

Junior Audioholic
Think i starting to lose my mind soon and go totaly crazy........
Got new glasses today already scratch on it i suspect.

I feel as if i dont belong in this world as if i'm an alien that everyone just hates me :(

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Another reason to have a sound pressure level meter at home beside usefulness in audio system setups. :D

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
Think i starting to lose my mind soon and go totaly crazy........

I feel as if i dont belong in this world as if i'm an alien that everyone just hates me :(
Ah come on man. No need to think like that

Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL

Junior Audioholic
Ah come on man. No need to think like that
when you been through 10 pair glasses in a year and every 1 off them had either scratch bad coating or reflection issues you seriously start to lose your mind.

Especialy if life quality depend on it.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
when you been through 10 pair glasses in a year and every 1 off them had either scratch bad coating or reflection issues you seriously start to lose your mind.

Unfortunately, scratches are a fact of life with glasses. Diamond they aren't. I can't claim to have ever had any big problems myself (and my lenses do definitely have some wear) with visibility, but it depends on the scratch. Of course, it helps to let go the things you can't change instead of focusing in on them. I can understand it isn't always easy to do though.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja

not sure where you get your glasses, but mine have never had a scratch or bad coating. If your buying from WallyWorld maybe. I guess since I have Vision insurance maybe they the 'labs' are a little more careful.

Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL

Junior Audioholic
not sure where you get your glasses, but mine have never had a scratch or bad coating. If your buying from WallyWorld maybe. I guess since I have Vision insurance maybe they the 'labs' are a little more careful.
At like 3 different opticiens.

Anyway not sure Beep fading out atm in my ear and i'm hearing sudenly lot brigther then before, But that could be due windows 8 upg i just done few mins ago.

Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL

Junior Audioholic
still have beep seems be extremely high pitch now.
And i felt my head and feels like if got a bump somewhere on my head that i think was't their before.

Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL

Junior Audioholic
Seriously freaking out now my left ear with beep hear's High toned.
my right ear hear's low toned.

Sounds verry false.

Like bob marley three little birds sounds like some kind off horror music -,-
Think i need to see doctor asap.

What worries me also is that if watched like 2 movies not 1 after another like last time.

Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL

Junior Audioholic
I still have beep in ear and doctor is useless and not letting me come thru all problems if had so far in past few month's

Sometimes fades, Sometimes it feels as if it becomes louder while at same time feel odd presure in my head.

I think legionella which i had month's ago in my shower did damage to me and i'm now suffering from it since last few month's.

Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL

Junior Audioholic
I feel so powerless and depressed everyone is ignoring me.
Doctor gave me nose spray that may only be used 5 day's while doctor tells me i should use it 2 times a day for 2 weeks.

listening to music i sudenly get loud beeps for few sec that are verry low then vanish so stopped listening to music again.

Dont known what to do anymore been to doctor 3 times with no result.

Feel as if everyone just want me dead :(

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis