Enter to Win: $1000 off Axiom Order!

How do you rank your overall knowledge of A/V Home Entertainment?

• Novice - ie you have trouble wiring new equipment into your system

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Basic Knowledge - ie - can plug it all in but have trouble setting it up properly

Votes: 51 17.0%
  • Good Knowledge - ie can set it up from start to finish

Votes: 188 62.7%
  • Expert - can set it up and calibrate it without using auto set up features

Votes: 59 19.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

outfitter

Audiophyte
I feel confident in setting up and configuiring the hardware, the biggest challenge is understanding proper room accoustics. How to address bass traps, absorbers, etc...

sbader2

sbader2

Junior Audioholic
I think I can set up my system properly from start to finish and I have pretty good knowledge in the technology.

PC2

PC2

Audiophyte
Learning more every day.

After saving for 18 months i had planned to do a full upgrade to 1080p at X-Mas (RPTV/Receiver/speakers and Blu-ray or HD-DVD).
I did a ton of on-line and in-store listening ,watching and researching but when the time came i could not do it, because I felt like Technology was in the middle of a transition to hdmi 1.3. Now i'm waiting until June-July to see what happens.
Before my Hi-tech journey i would say i had "basic Knowledge", now i have to say i have "good knowledge".

D

Doc.

Enthusiast
I picked Good knowledge. Well Read, thanks to forums like this. ;)

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks in large part to this forum, I answered "good knowledge". I can and have set up a system without using auto elements featured by YPAO. But I'll save the ultra-personal, final touches for my wannabe high style 2-channel music room. A couple of Axiom M80's in real oak veneer would be so very lovely in there! :)

T

train4545

Audiophyte
:eek: Not sure where i stand, but i sure know how to plug in things and make them sound right

badmals

Audiophyte
poll

I think I rank some where in the middle I can wire it all up but I am never sure if I have done the SPL calibibrations quite right.

C

Cavediver

Audioholic
I believe I have good knowledge of how to set up and calibrate an average system. I set up my system, read all of the user manuals and calibrated the sound and video with the Avia disk. I've now become the go to guy in my family whenever someone buys a new component or tv.

B

baglorious

Audiophyte
I chose "good knowledge" based on the ridiculous number of articles I've read in the last several months as I prepare for my first "good" HT setup, despite the fact that I've never owned one. I just picked up a Pioneer Elite receiver, an SPL meter, and the Avia disc, but am lacking the quality speakers to complete the setup. I currently know more than... anyone I know about home theater. I have gone overboard in reasearch to the point of (arguably) knowing more than I need to. I'm fairly addicted to internet HT research to the point I may need to start a support group.

The crummy part about this contest is that I am ALMOST ready to place my order with Axiom (this week)... so showing me this new contest and asking me to wait 'til the end of the month just isn't fair!

G

gstarr

Enthusiast
I'm usually pretty good at performing standard 5.1 to 7.1 set-ups. Other than an SPL meter I don't have any advanced electronics to test everything or an ISF certifcation:)

G

GaryZ06

Junior Audioholic
I ranked myself as having good knowledge....I set up my whole system and had some fun doing it.Making mistakes was half the fun and learning from them.

S

sy527x

Audioholic Intern
I'm knowledgeable enough to recognize which wires plug into which components and how the components work together, but get lost when I have to set up the system for its best capability.

R

Ralph

Enthusiast
I chose basic knowledge.

I used to think I knew more, but after reading on this site I have found out that I dont know anywhere near what I would like to. I think I could hook up and do setup if I had a good manual to help. I used to consider myself an audiophile years ago when everything was stereo and I inherited a fantastic McIntosh setup with JBL Paragon speakers. The Paragon didnt last long because the wife hated speakers that took up more room than the couch.

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
I would in reality put in another category between Good and Expert. I can set up and wire a system by myself. The only thing I use the Auto setup for is to EQ the channels. After that, I may tweak it a bit.

I'm currently learning and experimenting regarding room modes, EQ settings, and sound treatment.

But as someone said before me, your always learning something new or honing your skills. And that's me.

MetallicA23

Audiophyte
I voted good knowledge.

I can set up a system from start to finish(including calibrating myself) but, I am just learning about how to control room acoustics.

crazytiger

crazytiger

Audioholic Intern
Normally, I would never consider myself an "expert", but the definition was, "Expert - can set it up and calibrate it without using auto set up features." and I can do that. For example: I don't use the "auto set up" feature on my receiver to calibrate my system because I don't really care what it thinks sounds best in my room. I think that feature is cheezy and intended for tone-def buyers that have no idea what to do with what they just bought. I'll take it one step further; whoever came up with the pre-programmed "sound fields" should be shot. Setting my receiver's "one size fits all" equalizer to "jazz-hall", or "Roxy theater", or whatever has never really gotten me where I wanted to go with my bass, treble, and midrange settings. It is unfortunate that in my price range, they have "dumbed-down" the ability to really set the equipment up per your own spec.

In a nutshell: I know what sounds good to me, and I am capable of working with my system to get as close to that sound as possible. I love to tinker with my home theater, and as others have posted, it is very much a hobby for me.

Last edited:
M

mark4mich

Audioholic Intern
I can set the whole thing up, but probably don't have it optimized for my room

chriscmore

chriscmore

Junior Audioholic
BSEE by training, 20 years experience setting up PA systems, specifying equipment, diagnosing, repairing, and calibrating systems, ranging from personal stereos, theaters, and auditorium systems. Audiophile at heart.

Cheers,
Chris
www.seymourav.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis