jnelson88

jnelson88

Audioholic
With much fear in mind of burning the house down.....

We have lift off!!!!!

I had a few issues with no sound on the FR and C speakers, but not due to the amp. The EMO RCA cables fit very tight into the preouts and I guess they were not pushed in all the way, but everything is back to normal.

Everything is running good and nothing smells like BBQ. I will verify the levels tomorrow. I also need to do some much needed cable management.
Be careful with those RCA post, don't know how it is on the XPA but my UPA my front right RCA is really loose, plan to get in-touch with Emotiva and see whats up with that.

P

passionsoul

Audiophyte
Xpa-5

i too am considering to purchase a XPA 5. i currently have a NAD773. will i hear a difference ?

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
i too am considering to purchase a XPA 5. i currently have a NAD773. will i hear a difference ?
Probably not. But you might imagine you hear a difference if you believe you will.

The way to be sure if you hear a difference or not would be to carefully level match them and listen "blind" (i.e., not knowing which one you are hearing). Most of the time, adding a separate power amp does absolutely nothing for the sound, but it does sometimes help if one needs more power than the receiver can deliver.

As for whether it might help or not, right now, when you turn up the volume to play music loud, does it seem to distort any? If not, then you don't need more power. And if it does seem to distort when the volume is turned up, it may or may not help getting more power, because the added distortion could be due to either your receiver not being able to put out enough clean power, or the speakers distorting at that power level. If the former is the cause of the distortion, then more power would help, but if the latter is the cause of the distortion, then more power would not help.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
An important question is, "What speakers do you use this equipment with?"
What is the rated sensitivity?
Do you know the impedance?
How large is your room?

All of these will come into play on whether your current AVR has as much power as you might need.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I just checked out your AVR and it certainly is not "just another AVR". How effective these features are, I don't know, but it sounds like they spent some effort trying to eek out more power than a typical AVR design allows:

Source: http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-av-receivers/av-receivers/nad-t773-receiver.html
The T 773’s power amplifier section uses an all-discrete design with multiple high-current output devices in a Class AB configuration. Output power is provided by two Holmgren toroidal transformers, one dedicated to the left, center and right main channels, the other covering the remaining four surround channels. Each transformer has two secondary windings to provide separate high-current and high-voltage power supplies. NADs PowerDrive control circuit is, in effect, an analog computer that constantly monitors voltage, current and temperature to determine the optimum power supply setting, switching between high-voltage and high-current settings based on actual conditions. The T 773 also uses NAD’s proprietary Soft Clipping circuitry (which can be disabled via an external switch), helping to reduce the typical distortion that can be produced when an amplifier is driven beyond its (useful) limits. Cooling is handled via an internal heat sink, which is augmented with five internal precision fans that run at low speeds. This helps to insure that the T 773 can handle any possible ambient temperature, speaker load and dynamic program material without overheating.
One question I forgot is "Do you have a sub and, if so, where do you roll off your main speakers".

M

miggs29

Audioholic
XPA-3 Update

I can understand that, congrats on the amp. Post up how that thing sounds.
I am now another believer and promoter of Emotiva.

This amp is awesome. I finished the speaker calibration and everything sounds very full and with great detail. I played a few great songs in straight mode with the fronts only. I put on Dire Straits Sultans of swing, money for nothing, and the walk of life. Pink Floyd: Money, Comfortably Numb and a few others. I was able to hear the instruments in great detail like never before. Everything sounded great. I had the volume at about -17 and it sounded great.

Then I tested Dave Mathews in HD from palladia and a few shows. The center channel came to life. I can hear the voices better now, even at lower volumes than before (about -45). Anyway, it was a great upgrade and gift to myself.

I do have one question. I did the speaker calibration with my SPL meter,but I am a bit confused about the sub. How do I increase the sensitivity of my sub? Before, I used to listen at about -30 (yamaha AVR). That's when the sub used to wake up from stand by. Now that my normal listening level is about -40 or -35 my sub is not coming on like it used to. I still need to raise the main volume to about -30 for it to come on. My new -30 is lowder than it used to be. Is this a gain issue on the sub? I have the gain on the sub to 1/2 the way up and I am using a cross over of 80hz with all speakers set to small. The speaker level for the sub is pretty low on the AVR. All the speakers were leveled at 75db. Any ideas?

Anyway, everything is great with the amp. I was just wanting to know how to deal with the sub.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
2 thing that should help:
1) Turn down the volume on your sub so the AVR's auto EQ will compensate by increasing the gain to the sub.
2) Add a y-splitter at the end of your sub cable and plug into both the L and R subwoofer inputs (I am assuming you have standard connections on your sub).

Try 2 first as that often works by itself.

Glad you are enjoying the new gear!

M

miggs29

Audioholic
2 thing that should help:
1) Turn down the volume on your sub so the AVR's auto EQ will compensate by increasing the gain to the sub.
2) Add a y-splitter at the end of your sub cable and plug into both the L and R subwoofer inputs (I am assuming you have standard connections on your sub).

Try 2 first as that often works by itself.

Glad you are enjoying the new gear!
I will start with 1. I already have the y-splitter.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis