M

miggs29

Audioholic
Need help. For a while now I have been thinking of adding an amp to my ht. I have been thinking of the emo xpa-3 ($599). I just saw that the Upa-5 is on sale for $399. Question? Which one, if any, do you guys recommend. 3 channel for $600 or 5 channel for $400? You can see my system below to see if it even makes sense to buy the amp. I just wanted to know if I should get more power for the front three or less power for 5 channels.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'll also be watching to see what others think, but my inclination is to get the UPA-5 and use it for the front 3 channels.
Your receiver will have a cakewalk with the 2 rear channels.

But I am making some assumptions; How big is your room and how loud do you listen to what?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Either should do the job but it just depends what you're trying to accomplish/fix. My inclination is the XPA-3 based on my own usage pattern and speakers. I tend to drive 2 channel music louder than 5 channel movies and relieved of the work of driving the mains the receiver should be able to drive the heck out of the surrounds. On the other hand driving a 6ohm load the UPA-5 should be able to supply your mains with their maximum (150w) rated power.

I don't know. Decision, decisions. :D

Last edited:
M

miggs29

Audioholic
Either should do the job but it just depends what you're trying to accomplish/fix. My inclination is the XPA-3 based on my own usage pattern and speakers. I tend to drive 2 channel music louder than 5 channel movies and relieved of the work of driving the mains the receiver should be able to drive the heck out of the surrounds. On the other hand driving a 6ohm load the UPA-5 should be able to supply your mains with their maximum (150w) rated power.

I don't know. Decision, decisions. :D
Thank you for your response. My AVR is rated at 130wpc, so if I go with the UPA-5, will I be loosing power since it is rated at 125wpc? The RX-V1700 and the UPA-5 are rated based on RMS power, so the power should be continuous, right? Sorry, if my thinking is way off. I am still learning. Maybe the XPA-3 is the best way to go, but I rather spend $400 with shipping than $600. In the other hand, if I am going to spend the money, I want it to be worth the investment.

Matt34

Matt34

You have a good receiver with relatively easy to drive speakers. You're probably not going to see much of a difference but the UPA-5 sale is a steal right now if you have money burning a hole in your pocket.;)

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Thank you for your response. My AVR is rated at 130wpc, so if I go with the UPA-5, will I be loosing power since it is rated at 125wpc? The RX-V1700 and the UPA-5 are rated based on RMS power, so the power should be continuous, right? Sorry, if my thinking is way off. I am still learning. Maybe the XPA-3 is the best way to go, but I rather spend $400 with shipping than $600. In the other hand, if I am going to spend the money, I want it to be worth the investment.
The difference in volume between 125w and 130w is zero. I'm not familiar with your receiver and so have no idea how close it comes to its rated output. Some receiver power ratings are right on and some are marketing fantasizes.

Have you figured out what you're trying to accomplish? You aren't going to get much more raw volume. A wee bit more dynamic power?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Look at the $2700 Yamaha RX-Z7 (140 Watt) as reviewed by HTM (I did not see yours):
http://hometheatermag.com/receivers/yamaha_rx-z7_av_receiver/index5.html

HT Labs Measures

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 47.1 watts
1% distortion at 54.5 watts
Fortunately, HT content rarely (if ever) makes demands on all channels at the same time, so it may be that your 130watt rated receiver does everything you need.

However, look at the equivalent specification from Audioholics review of the UPA-7 (125 Watt):
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/amplifiers/emotiva-upa-7/upa7-measurements

7 channels into 8 ohms 1kHz powersweep:
0.1% distortion at 108 watts
1% distortion at 117 watts

So if the above Yamaha power rating trends are consistent with your specific receiver, it is safe to assume the UPA has more power than your Yamaha has to offer.

However, I would not recommend that you replace your Yamaha amp section entirely, but, rather that you split duties between them.
By only running 2 or 3 channels off of he Emotiva and the balance off of the Yamaha, you will have loads of dynamic headroom if and when you need it.

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
I have a Emotiva and love it. When I first hooked it up I turned off my subs and listened to only the Emo powered speakers. It was actually a week before I turned on the subs again, but it was only because I noticed the lights were red. My receiver is older and probably not as nice as yours, so your results may be totally different from mine, but for me it was good purchase. I am actually thinking about about getting the UPA-5 also, but I won't state why because it may kill your thread.:eek:
KEW probably had the best arguement to spend the cash on one.
Good luck with your decision.:D

M

miggs29

Audioholic
Need help. For a while now I have been thinking of adding an amp to my ht. I have been thinking of the emo xpa-3 ($599). I just saw that the Upa-5 is on sale for $399. Question? Which one, if any, do you guys recommend. 3 channel for $600 or 5 channel for $400? You can see my system below to see if it even makes sense to buy the amp. I just wanted to know if I should get more power for the front three or less power for 5 channels.
Could you please explain what a ground loop is? It seems like a few people have had this issue when using an AVR and the emotiva amps in general. Also, if I decide to use the yammy for the surrounds and the emo for the LCR, the question still remains as, which one to go for? XPA-3 or the UPA-5. I would like to make the purchase worth the money while gaining the most. Sorry for all the questions. I am just confused, but that sale for the UPA-5 seems very attractive.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Look at the $2700 Yamaha RX-Z7 (140 Watt) as reviewed by HTM (I did not see yours):
http://hometheatermag.com/receivers/...er/index5.html

Quote:
HT Labs Measures

Seven channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 47.1 watts
1% distortion at 54.5 watts
Fortunately, HT content rarely (if ever) makes demands on all channels at the same time, so it may be that your 130watt rated receiver does everything you need.

However, look at the equivalent specification from Audioholics review of the UPA-7 (125 Watt):
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/a...7-measurements

7 channels into 8 ohms 1kHz powersweep:
0.1% distortion at 108 watts
1% distortion at 117 watts

So if the above Yamaha power rating trends are consistent with your specific receiver, it is safe to assume the UPA has more power than your Yamaha has to offer.

However, I would not recommend that you replace your Yamaha amp section entirely, but, rather that you split duties between them.
By only running 2 or 3 channels off of he Emotiva and the balance off of the Yamaha, you will have loads of dynamic headroom if and when you need it.
Edit/Delete Message
Don't get hung up on the ACD test. Please review my article:
The All Channels Driven Amplifier Test

The amp section in the RX-Z7 is quite capable as I have it powering my family room system which 3 of the 7 speakers are 4 ohm rated and I never feel power started.

Also read my RX-Z7 Review and you will see its got some good juice:

T

tsand

Audiophyte
You could always compromise on the XPA-5. ;)
I purchased the XPA-2 and use an old 3802 Denon for the sub, center, rear r/l and center.

I am saving up my pesos for an XPA-5 to replace the Denon for amplification and a UMC-1 for the processing.

PS the UPA-5 (125w/channel at 8 ohms) is on sale for $399 for Halloween. The XPA-5 is 200w/channel at 8 ohms but is double the price.

Have fun!

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Unless you are noticing distortion at high volumes, I would not bother with a power amp. Power that you don't need does nothing for you, so only buy it if you need it, unless you like wasting your money on things that give you no improvement in actual sound. In which case, you might as well send it to me, and I will make no improvement in your sound.

M

miggs29

Audioholic
Well, now the XPA-3 is on sale with free shipping. $529. Hmmm

http://emotiva.com/xpa3.shtm
What cables do I need to hook up the EMO XPA-3 to a Yamaha RX-V1700 other than 3 RCA cables? What kind of cable do I need for the trigger connection on the back of the XPA-3? Do you recommend using the trigger connection?

Which of these cables do I need?

http://emotiva.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=75

http://emotiva.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=65

What is the difference between the two?

Last edited:
JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
What cables do I need to hook up the EMO XPA-3 to a Yamaha RX-V1700 other than 3 RCA cables?
That's correct for moving the audo. If it's specifically 3 channel, I'd grab one of my component-video cables and use that (three RCA cables conveniently bundled and color-coded).

I picked up several when the local hhgregg was selling them for $4 each.

What kind of cable do I need for the trigger connection on the back of the XPA-3? Do you recommend using the trigger connection?
I *think* it's any standard 1/8" connector.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
What cables do I need to hook up the EMO XPA-3 to a Yamaha RX-V1700 other than 3 RCA cables? What kind of cable do I need for the trigger connection on the back of the XPA-3? Do you recommend using the trigger connection?

Which of these cables do I need?

http://emotiva.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=75

http://emotiva.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=65

What is the difference between the two?
I believe Emotiva ships their amps with trigger cables enclosed.

Standard RCA is what you need.

I don't know what the difference is between the two cables you linked!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis