J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
What cables do I need to hook up the EMO XPA-3 to a Yamaha RX-V1700 other than 3 RCA cables? What kind of cable do I need for the trigger connection on the back of the XPA-3? Do you recommend using the trigger connection?

Which of these cables do I need?

http://emotiva.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=75

http://emotiva.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=65

What is the difference between the two?
Buy one of these for $1.90 (save $49.37).
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&cs_id=1023502&p_id=5352&seq=1&format=2

Or three of these for $2.37 (save $48.60).
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023601&p_id=2743&seq=1&format=2

Using a trigger is a nice convenience. My Onkyo receiver's trigger doesn't work in zone 1, so I don't benefit. Hopefully the Yammy's trigger works for your main system.

edit: if you want to step up from RG59 to RG6, get this for $8.05.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&cs_id=1023502&p_id=2854&seq=1&format=2

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I know I'm the only person in the world: but I've had poor luck with monoprice RCA cables.

Specifically: the connectors don't grip the posts very well which, combined with rather stiff cables, has resulted in frequent accidental pull-outs. It's been a particular annoicance on the component cables (which I baught about a dozen of from MonoPrice and later replaced with the AR cables I mentioned getting from HHGregg).

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Interesting. I have both AR and Mono, as well as BJC and others. Hmm, I should see how loose my Mono sub cable is . . . oh wait nm, I don't use it anymore, lol . . . (changed out consumer sub for diy/commercial).

The one type of cable with Mono, that I have seen, which can be loose happens to be their optical cables, though I have found that this is just as dependent on the component's terminal itself. However, for the uber low pricing, it's hard to complain. Mon$ter has typically the tightest I have seen, both RCA as well as optical.

I <3 Monoprice.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I know I'm the only person in the world: but I've had poor luck with monoprice RCA cables.

Specifically: the connectors don't grip the posts very well which, combined with rather stiff cables, has resulted in frequent accidental pull-outs. It's been a particular annoicance on the component cables (which I baught about a dozen of from MonoPrice and later replaced with the AR cables I mentioned getting from HHGregg).
I've never had a problem with their RCAs but I tighten their subwoofer cables with a pair of pliers. I also expand (hammer tap to the tip) the tips of their banana plugs. I'd rather pay monoprice $4-8 and tweak the connectors than pay $30.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

I have had the same issue. In my case, I don't believe the grip is poor; but, rather, the stiffness of the cables causes one cable to be in tension, which is prone to pulling off! I found that sliding the sleeve (around both of the stereo cables) down another 2" and separating the L and R cables, the cables are more free to find their own unstrained path and work great!
Definitely a good thing to do before you put everything in place where it may be hard to access.

M

miggs29

Audioholic
The EMO is on the mail. I ended up with the XPA-3. I can't wait. I have been wanting to add the amp for a while, it should be here on tuesday!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The EMO is on the mail. I ended up with the XPA-3. I can't wait. I have been wanting to add the amp for a while, it should be here on tuesday!
Once you pull out your back lifting that sucker, carrying it up the steps, etc., you'll have some extra time to sit around and listen to it!:)

jnelson88

jnelson88

Audioholic

your not the only one, when I bought my upa-5 I had problems.

jnelson88

jnelson88

Audioholic
Once you pull out your back lifting that sucker, carrying it up the steps, etc., you'll have some extra time to sit around and listen to it!:)
yes the UPA weighs a ton I can only imagine the XPA

R

Rightbrained

Audiophyte
Yes sir. Unfortunately I dont even know how it sounds as I am living in a camper while my house is being built :(

jnelson88

jnelson88

Audioholic
Yes sir. Unfortunately I dont even know how it sounds as I am living in a camper while my house is being built :(
I can't tell you how the XPA sounds but the upa-5 sounds amazing paired up with good speakers.

R

Rightbrained

Audiophyte
I can't tell you how the XPA sounds but the upa-5 sounds amazing paired up with good speakers.
I have heard nothing but good things for all their amps . I am selling off all my DIY speakers and will be building a waveguide design while waiting on the house.

M

miggs29

Audioholic
Desperate help needed!

The EMO XPA-3 came in today Although, I finnaly got it after a long battle with Fed EX since I had to do my own pick up because I was not home at the time of delivery. Anyway, after much anticipation and exciment, came sadness and desperation. Here is the issue......

The box came with a three prong power cable. However, the power connection on the back pannel is a two prong, with no ground. I know that I am not an electritian, but I do not think this power connection is going to work.... Is that right?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There is no ground on the amplifier. This is called a ground lift, and is fine. They still use a standard D-type plug, like you find on all PCs and a ton of other gear, because power cables are cheap and readily available.

This is typical and common on many products, and my Denon receiver and I believe my Rotel amps are similarly designed.

If you look at the pictures of the back of the amp on their website you will see picture 4 is of the back of the amp and it only has the two pins. That's the hot and common, no ground. Just as it is supposed to be.

http://emotiva.com/xpa3.shtm

You are fine!

M

miggs29

Audioholic
There is no ground on the amplifier. This is called a ground lift, and is fine. They still use a standard D-type plug, like you find on all PCs and a ton of other gear, because power cables are cheap and readily available.

This is typical and common on many products, and my Denon receiver and I believe my Rotel amps are similarly designed.

If you look at the pictures of the back of the amp on their website you will see picture 4 is of the back of the amp and it only has the two pins. That's the hot and common, no ground. Just as it is supposed to be.

You are fine!
I knew that the power connection on the back of the amp was going to be a two prong, but their manual said on the inventory section, that a IEC 1, 2 prong power cable was included, why the discrepancy on the instructions? I just don't want to blow it up.

jnelson88

jnelson88

Audioholic
I can understand that, congrats on the amp. Post up how that thing sounds.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I knew that the power connection on the back of the amp was going to be a two prong, but their manual said on the inventory section, that a IEC 1, 2 prong power cable was included, why the discrepancy on the instructions? I just don't want to blow it up.
Emotiva makes good gear, but they do not have the best reputation for proofing their manuals.

At one point they may have used a 2 prong power cable.

It is of no matter. Now instead of the ground wire stopping at the outlet (with a two prong cable), it stops at the end of the cable. Either way, you have the two wires you need going to your amp.

Don't worry, plug it in and enjoy!

My Emotiva amp is the same way - grounded cable, but no ground on the back of the amp.

M

miggs29

Audioholic

You are fine!
With much fear in mind of burning the house down.....

We have lift off!!!!!

I had a few issues with no sound on the FR and C speakers, but not due to the amp. The EMO RCA cables fit very tight into the preouts and I guess they were not pushed in all the way, but everything is back to normal.

Everything is running good and nothing smells like BBQ. I will verify the levels tomorrow. I also need to do some much needed cable management.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis