Emotiva XPR-1 1kwatt Mono Amplifier Review

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks for the comments Brolic. Enjoyed your unboxing video, seems we have a lot of common gear in our setups. Loved those amps stands you had in there so I just ordered three! I'll snap some pics when I've done the install. Won't be for a couple weeks though. Love your Seaton video, my new HPs have been one of the best additions yet to my room. :cool:

Kris
What are your main speakers?

- Rich

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
For anybody interested, below is an unboxing video of the Emotiva XPR-1 monoblock amplifer. (Ignore the terrible thumbnail shot):

[video=youtube;iQn_9rC05N0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQn_9rC05N0[/video]
I enjoyed the unboxing video too.....
ha-ha, seemed like it was quite a bit of sweat around the 1 minute mark of the video.... really hard workout this :D
Strange music you're listening to though

B

BrolicBeast

Enthusiast
I enjoyed the unboxing video too.....
ha-ha, seemed like it was quite a bit of sweat around the 1 minute mark of the video.... really hard workout this :D
Strange music you're listening to though
LOL, glad you enjoyed it......ah, those bad-boys were quite heavy. I just had to take a breath or two before regaining composure (although back in my football days, I would have run around the house holding the XPR-1 in my arms effortlessly). The music is certainly an unconventional piece, but it's a great piece for those who love the bass guitar :cool:

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
LOL, glad you enjoyed it......ah, those bad-boys were quite heavy. I just had to take a breath or two before regaining composure (although back in my football days, I would have run around the house holding the XPR-1 in my arms effortlessly). The music is certainly an unconventional piece, but it's a great piece for those who love the bass guitar :cool:
You're getting weak and you need to do something about this, LOL :D
You need to do some more exercises then, probably also Yoga or Taiji :p

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Then you will be exceeding the maximum power rating of 250 watts by over a killo-watt.
That sould be enough :p

Will you be doing a review?

- Rich
You can never have too much power

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Here's an article that may be relevant, main topic is Stephen Meijas visit to Jade Design Group, corporate parent company of Emotiva, Sherbourn and now lately also Bob Carver LLC.
I find the article extremely amusing, especially the part where Stephen auditions headphones, and they make him look so funny that even the cats laughed :D

Interesting conclusion about Dan Laufman and Emotiva:
If nothing else, Laufman wants his products to be taken seriously; he wants them to be seen as representing high value—not merely for their affordable prices, but for the thought, pride, and care that have gone into designing, manufacturing, and servicing them.
This I can understand. After inspecting many hi-fi products, I wonder how they can be priced so high. But with Emotiva's products, the question that invariably comes to mind is How can this be priced so low?
Nothing I've seen at Jade Design has changed my mind about the company's integrity. In fact, it seems that Dan Laufman has finally managed to balance his work life and his home life. Isn't that the American dream?

The Entry Level #27 | Stereophile.com

Last edited by a moderator:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Absolutely, but you can have enough.

I believe Kris is selling or has sold his Parasound JC1's, so I think he ended up with money in his pocket :)

- Rich
It is relative, if he went with a xpa-1 or 2, even more money in his pocket, just saying....:)

B

BrolicBeast

Enthusiast
Interesting to hear how with XPR-1's compare to JC-1's
I look forward to this as well, as I was originally planning to get a pair of JC-1's until I stumbled across the Audioholics and HT Secrets review of the XPR-1.

Kris Deering

Kris Deering

Enthusiast
I am not reviewing the XPRs. I believe we have another guy doing that for the magazine. My system changes out continually. After seeing JJ's review and discussing it with him, then seeing Gene's great review, I thought I'd give these a shot. For this price and measured performance, I thought what the hell. The Parasound Halo stuff has been some of the best amplifiers I've ever heard in my system or elsewhere, but I could always go back to them if this doesn't pan out. Or I may try other stuff. Guess we'll see!

As for power, sure my S8's (and C5 since I'm getting three of these) will be overpowered, but you can typically never have too much power. Especially with full range playback at loud levels. I'd rather have reserves than not enough and the price difference made it a no brainer.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Great review Gene. Based on your measurements/comments and JJ's I went ahead and ordered three XPR1s for my main L/C/R channels. Looking forward to trying them out. Also ordered a XPA-2 for my surrounds as the XPR2 wouldn't fit in my rack.
Very cool. Welcome to the forum Kris. Sounds like your building a theater to rival IMAX :)

L

Logan

Audiophyte
I own it and love it - paired with KEF 105.2 Speakers

I had the 500W version and thought it should be enough power. However, when I connected the XPA-1s, I noticed another distinct layer of music hiding in the prior "mush"; incredible! I rediscover many great pieces of music and found sounds and subtleties that I had never experience.
PS. I did go crazy with tweaks with my new sound room.
1. For the XPA-1s, ran a dedicated power circuit from the panel in #12 wire directly wired 220V with 20A breakers
2. Input: Emotiva’ s CD feeding their DAC with Optical digital; bypassing the CD's DAC; balanced cables from DAC to the amps
3. Tri-wired speaker wire in #10; oxygen free conductors; no terminations as I found they contaminate the sound balance (direct wired to posts; KEF provided tri-wire posts)
4. Custom power cords (from YouTube demo from the big-cable-guys); #14 wire running 220V is lots; inside 3/4" tubing with steel shot packing (Reportedly reduces mechanical vibration? Shielding? Don't know but is kicked up bass response noticeably!)
5. Bass traps galore; self-constructed, 6 lbs./cu.ft. density rock board; (12) 4 foot long 22" diagonals positioned (2) along each on top wall corner and (4) down the corners, (4) rectangular on side walls 2x4 ft, vertical at each of the 1st and 2nd reflection points and (2) huge super traps (4 ft x 5 ft x 14" deep) in the bottom back corners; 8ft x 8ft on ceiling in suspension grid and (3) more behind my head. (This was needed because my room is square; horrible shape)
6. KEF 205/2 Speakers are amazingly realistic
7. Paradigm Sub; Servo 15 with X30 outboard X-over makes up for the KEFs 45 Hz at -3db.
The KEFs sport 60K Hz upper end which makes the upper frequencies sound "delicate". Love it! Go EMOTIVA. GREAT JOB!

KEF Link: Hi-Fi Speakers - Reference Series - Fact Sheets - Floorstanding - 205/2 - KEF United States

L

Logan

Audiophyte
Can't have too much power

It's generally well understood that underpowering speakers burns them out. If you limit the volume to what sounds good, you will not over power your speakers. I'm runing the XPA-1s wiht my KEF 205/2 which has a recommended power range of 50-300 and I peak at 500W on the meters (which are slow, I believe) and so peaks could be approaching 1000 on very short bursts. These short bursts do not represent much "Power" so no worries. :)

S

s_0@icloud.com

Audiophyte
change to dedicated 20 amp 220 volt circuits = substantial sound quality increase

3 months I ago had 2 dedicated 20 amp 110 volt circuits installed to power my 2 xpr-1's. Today (10/12/13) both circuits rewired to 20 amp 220 volts. Driving 2 Maggie 1.7's with a Maggie DWM bass panel wired in parallel to each (DWM bass attenuation 4 25 watt 2 ohm resistors wired in parallel/series for total of 100 watts 2 ohm) resulted in 2.4 ohm load for each channel. At 110 volts had numerous amp faults at higher volume settings. DWM bass attenuation changed to 4 20 watt 5 ohm resistors wired in parallel/series for total of 80 watts 5 ohm resulted in 3.1 ohm load for each channel, far fewer high volume faults but still enough to be annoying. Today I went to the 220 volt circuits with the same 3.1 ohm channel load and noticed a significant improvement in sound quality and no high volume amp faults. Very impressive. Wether this will drive a 2.4 ohm or lower load I don't know but will find out. In any case, the xpr-1's driving the Maggie 1.7's do a lot better job on the 220 volt circuit vs the 110 volt.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
3. Tri-wired speaker wire in #10; oxygen free conductors; no terminations as I found they contaminate the sound balance (direct wired to posts; KEF provided tri-wire posts)
4. Custom power cords (from YouTube demo from the big-cable-guys); #14 wire running 220V is lots; inside 3/4" tubing with steel shot packing (Reportedly reduces mechanical vibration? Shielding? Don't know but is kicked up bass response noticeably!)
You found terminations "contaminate the sound balance"? And doing something silly with the power cords improved bass response? You are seriously deluded.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis