$750k Sonus Faber Speakers: Who's buying?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
In celebration of Sonus faber’s 40th anniversary, the Italian company has launched the Suprema ($750,000), a new flagship mega-speaker. The Suprema system comprises a pair of tall towers and a pair of dual-15-inch passive subwoofers. Designed from a blank sheet, the Suprema features newly-developed technologies that could inform the future of Sonus faber’s “normal” speaker lineup.

I expect that many readers already knew how they felt about the Sonus faber Suprema as soon as they saw the price. And if you balked at the idea of spending three quarters of a million dollars on a loudspeaker system, I certainly wouldn’t blame you. It is an objectively ludicrous sum — and that’s before you start shopping for source components and amplification.

If, for some reason, you decide that $750K is simply too much to pay for a speaker system, I have good news. You can order the Suprema system with only one subwoofer, for the very reasonable price of $680,000. Both versions of the system are available to order now, and will be built upon request only. Because they’re built to order, you can customize the design by choosing from several finish options for the wood, leather, and metal. How do you feel about mega-expensive speakers? Are you intrigued, or do you dismiss products like the Sonus faber Suprema as pure audio insanity? Share your thoughts in the related forum thread below.

sonus-faber.jpg

Read: Sonus Faber $750k Flagship "Suprema" Speakers

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I don't understand the "extra" 8" woofer, unless it is acoustic at the crossover but that would seem odd?

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Gene thanks for the article. To answer your question I have no problem with ridiculously priced items including speakers. I assume someone somewhere must be buying this stuff. The benefits to the average buyer is including the technology in more affordable equipment as you mentioned. In addition assuming a huge profit margin on the highest end stuff the manufacturer can reduce the margins and make up for it in the quantity sold On lower priced equipment. If I won Powerball a crazy expensive stereo system would be on my wish list. I would definitely be selecting the materials and colors to make it one-of-a-kind.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Hell $750k speakers, somewhere someone has the $ to buy a pair. Good for them. I say the same thing about people that buy $ ultra super cars and $10k + sq ft homes. Good for them. IF I had the outlandish cash, why not buy a pair, along with that 10k sqft home and a ultra supercar;) .

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Hell $750k speakers, somewhere someone has the $ to buy a pair. Good for them. I say the same thing about people that buy $ ultra super cars and $10k + sq ft homes. Good for them. IF I had the outlandish cash, why not buy a pair, along with that 10k sqft home and a ultra supercar;) .
Yep, not only do the uber rich have the right to buy luxury goods, but lots of jobs result from the creation of goods and services for them.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I’ve thought about this maybe a little too much, when I buy a lotto ticket I spend way too much time over the next couple days daydreaming about what I’d do if I won. It’s become enough of an incentive to just not buy a ticket altogether. In my personal and professional life I get to help a lot of people, I don’t think I would want to be too wealthy to the point where you have to become a little reclusive.

If I won the mega millions, something around $2 billion. I have a couple ideas. I have a good friend that manages luxury hotels, I’d hire him and double his salary. Then tell him to start buying multi million dollar homes around the world and turn them into vacation rental properties. Then I would buy thousands of acres somewhere, find an ex special forces guy that probably shouldn’t be around humans anymore, build him a bad ass cabin and give him a nice salary to keep the riffraff out. probably buy a bunch of commercial real estate and jet a reputable international property management company to handle it all. Lastly, get a couple condos in areas that I like to visit, buy an old Volkswagen bus and similar vehicles to keep it those locations. Whenever I’m around, I could blend in with the Locals.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
10K square foot home? That's really not very large if it has multiple levels.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It's not hard to become a billionaire and afford such luxury items. You simply have to dedicate your entire life to that goal. Simple :) /s

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I’ve thought about this maybe a little too much, when I buy a lotto ticket I spend way too much time over the next couple days daydreaming about what I’d do if I won. It’s become enough of an incentive to just not buy a ticket altogether. In my personal and professional life I get to help a lot of people, I don’t think I would want to be too wealthy to the point where you have to become a little reclusive.

If I won the mega millions, something around $2 billion. I have a couple ideas. I have a good friend that manages luxury hotels, I’d hire him and double his salary. Then tell him to start buying multi million dollar homes around the world and turn them into vacation rental properties. Then I would buy thousands of acres somewhere, find an ex special forces guy that probably shouldn’t be around humans anymore, build him a bad ass cabin and give him a nice salary to keep the riffraff out. probably buy a bunch of commercial real estate and jet a reputable international property management company to handle it all. Lastly, get a couple condos in areas that I like to visit, buy an old Volkswagen bus and similar vehicles to keep it those locations. Whenever I’m around, I could blend in with the Locals.
Don't forget the tax you'd pay and if lump sum, cut that in half after tax. :D

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Making those Focal Grande Utopia EM Evo look like a bargain right now. :eek:

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I always wanted some Sonas Fabers as that is my last name. :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I really doubt those speakers are actually much good. I have serious issues with the design. There are just far too many passive crossovers. It will be awash in phase/time aberrations. The rear firing drivers, is just the last straw of the desperate to clutch, to give the appearance of image depth.
I would be very cautious about putting down a large wad of cash for those.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Seems like a good value to me. I gave these some serious thought for a few minutes and have ultimately decided to stick with what I have. Perhaps on the used market I can snag a pair for a half million one day.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Really 750k is an average price when it comes to ultra high-end products, Just consider brands such as MBL, Magico, Gryphon, Wilson,Von Schwelkert, and Rockport The problem is these brands are not for everyone, In fact very few are sold in the US, Most people are flat out paying the rent and feeding the kids.. Just go off the main streets in most American cites, and visit the back streets and that's the real America. Abject poverty. Down town Detroit comes to mind.

Most American high end brands are bound for the Asian export markets. The main problem is Sales Tax,, Together with high exchange rates. Set at something like 64 cents Australian dollars. So together with high freight rates the US price just about doubles. Where as in the Asian market, sales tax is all but non-existent. Just when did you last see someone buying Boulder, or D'Agostino. In your last surviving high-end stores

Out of interest just how many high-end stores are left in America.I only know of one in Florida, Even your audio exhibition shows are shutting up shop through lack of interest.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I only know of one in Florida
Do a google search, ' high end audio stores in Florida' , you would be surprised there are still a few scattered around. Jacksonville, Daytona, Orlando the Miami area . Not many but a few are still hanging on and of course Suncoast Audio.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Do a google search, ' high end audio stores in Florida' , you would be surprised there are still a few scattered around. Jacksonville, Daytona, Orlando the Miami area . Not many but a few are still hanging on and of course Suncoast Audio.
My friend owns one in Boca, another in West Palm. I'm not sure what that was

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis