J

Jeff Chan

Audioholic Intern
Now when I turn off fullband and set to 40Hz, double bass automatic turn off. But bass is not so strong now.

J

Jeff Chan

Audioholic Intern
I just watch a documentary about Oregon trail on TV not long ago.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oops....is freezing at your place base on our wheather........
What frequency wud you suggest I shud set to instead of full band?
Any chance of coming over this way again?
I generally recommend starting at a xover of 80hz but to experiment above and below as well, it really is a matter of taste; you may end up preferring the double bass and full band setting (but with double bass you're duplicating some frequencies, which I try and avoid).

Actually today was warmer than it has been in a while....it's still 10C out right now, most nights have been 0C or lower for a while, though. Raining now but we've had a fair bit of snow which is somewhat unusual where I am (about 450m elevation).

No, my trips there were business (international logistics), and doubt I'll fly overseas again, while Singapore Airlines first or business class is a good way to go, not something I'd budget again now that I've retired early, somewhat to avoid flying overseas on business..... :) Wanted to bring a mountain bike over there at one point and do some exploring in Malaysia but the opportunity has passed....

J

Jeff Chan

Audioholic Intern
Now I experiment setting,
Front : 150Hz
Centre : 100Hz
Front Height (Atmos) : 50Hz
Surround : 150Hz
LFE : 120Hz

Sounds pretty good but bass not as strong as double bass.
So you are retired too....I spent my whole life in semiconductor industry. Other than 1st job I worked for American, 2 other jobs worked for Japanese till I retired at 50.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Now when I turn off fullband and set to 40Hz, double bass automatic turn off. But bass is not so strong now.
Yes it's normal for double bass type settings not to be available when using bass management for the speakers. Probably missing some of that duplication of frequencies with the sub producing the same frequencies in bass as the mains (thus double bass). I prefer using my subs over the speakers for bass but I'm not using your speakers or your sub and am not in your room (one advantage to a sub is you can place it where it excites the room modes best, not usually the place where L/R speakers are best placed).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Now I experiment setting,
Front : 150Hz
Centre : 100Hz
Front Height (Atmos) : 50Hz
Surround : 150Hz
LFE : 120Hz

Sounds pretty good but bass not as strong as double bass.
So you are retired too....I spent my whole life in semiconductor industry. Other than 1st job I worked for American, 2 other jobs worked for Japanese till I retired at 50.
I'd lower the fronts down to 80, have to go look at your other speakers ore to comment on those....

I worked with various electronics companies there thru my career. I first retired at 45, sold my share of the company to my business partner then traveled around the western US camping and mountain biking for most of 10 years, then went back to work for 3 more in the old industry before retiring again....so we're sort of close in retirement age!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just watch a documentary about Oregon trail on TV not long ago.
You probably know more about that than I do! Think that terminated north and east of here. We do have a famous old Oregon military wagon road that comes through here. I've yet to explore Oregon thoroughly, only having lived here for the last 3 years, was mostly in San Francisco before this. I'm in a place called Oakridge.

J

Jeff Chan

Audioholic Intern
Nice talking to you and thanks for all the tips. Got to go out with my wife now. Talk later.

J

Jeff Chan

Audioholic Intern
Hi, my name is Jeff, how do I address you?
I have the following set up.
Onkyo TX-NR656 7.2-Channel Network AV Receiver
Front : Mission MX5
Centre : Elac C5
Surround : Elac F5
Front Atmos : Elac A4
Sub : Elac S10
Display : Sony KD-65X9300D

Still having the S10 problem sleep problem (shut off then it turns on again). I will re-calibrate using AccEQ again tomorrow and see what happen. If problem still surface, I have no choice but to consider the Earthquake FF10 or the Elac 2030.
I store all my movies in 6TB x 15 synology NAS. I always find music and effect sound louder than dialogue especially when characters are speaking softly. I made sure the 5.1 set up are equal volume using the AVR pink noise whereas I set the Atmos volume to be 3 times of the 5.1. Yet, I still find the dialogue soft. Is there some adjustment to made to improve this?
I read about HDMI 2.0a on the net for 4K streaming. I wonder this really work? I have some 4K movies but I can see some lag while playing them. I will have to reduce video bit rate in order to stream them from my NAS.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm Chris. Sometimes a factory/processor reset on an avr for inconsistent behavior isn't a bad idea either (or unplugging the sub to give it a soft reset for that matter).

A lot of soundtracks are being recorded where dialog isn't so clear but try bumping up the center channel level a dB or two, that might help. Speaker placement can be key for the center, too....how do you have it positioned?

I have insufficient internet out here in the boonies to even consider 4k streaming....I use blurays or full rips of blurays on a hard drive myself but only for 1080p/3d which is what I'm set up for. Have really no desire for 4k or Atmos at this time; the content is pretty limited, too so if it really sticks we'll see a coupla years from now if its worth making changes. I use a 9.4 system in my living room, someday will expand that to 11.4; my bedroom and workshop each have a 5.2 system plus a coupla 2ch systems in spare rooms.

Does your avr have a lip sync adjust to compensate for lag issues?

J

Jeff Chan

Audioholic Intern
Hi Chris,

My Centre speaker is the ELAC C5, since it's a bass-reflect speaker, I place it just under the wall mounted TV about 3,4 inch away from the wall, is this appropriate?
Wow, going for 11.4 huh....it would be the ultimate set up for Home system.:p
I look at Oakridge on the net. My 1st impression is it sure look like the town where Rambo's First Blood was filmed. Also surprise to find out Mason Williams was from Oakridge.....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi Chris,

My Centre speaker is the ELAC C5, since it's a bass-reflect speaker, I place it just under the wall mounted TV about 3,4 inch away from the wall, is this appropriate?
Wow, going for 11.4 huh....it would be the ultimate set up for Home system.:p
I look at Oakridge on the net. My 1st impression is it sure look like the town where Rambo's First Blood was filmed. Also surprise to find out Mason Williams was from Oakridge.....
Hey Jeff, what is the center on? If on a table/shelf, is it pulled to the forward edge (to avoid reflections) with the tweeters angled towards your ears? Have you tried changing the center channel level? As far as a rear port/vent goes, you generally only need a few inches at a minimum but that's not necessarily the best place for it either.

No, ultimate would be having a dedicated room. Maybe someday I'll build one in the basement. Not sure what configuration I'll end up with either but since the avr has the capability, may as well try it.

Yeah, we're out in the boonies. Mason Williams being "from" here is a bit of a stretch, but lives in nearby Eugene these days, but occasionally drops in, last year he played a little bit at the pub (and I missed it!). Rambo was supposedly a town in Washington but similar territory; it's beautiful territory, too. Ken Kesey used to live not very far from here, too.

J

Jeff Chan

Audioholic Intern
Hi Christ, I had changed the sub to Earthquake Supernova MKIV-12. Thought I changed to a totally different brand would solve the "sleep" problem. Unfortunately, The Earthquake still does not go to sleep after switch off the Onkyo for 30 mins. What can be the problem now? Supplier tends to blame there is "noise" in the power line that cause this problem. Onkyo had been grounded though.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi Christ, I had changed the sub to Earthquake Supernova MKIV-12. Thought I changed to a totally different brand would solve the "sleep" problem. Unfortunately, The Earthquake still does not go to sleep after switch off the Onkyo for 30 mins. What can be the problem now? Supplier tends to blame there is "noise" in the power line that cause this problem. Onkyo had been grounded though.
Did you test by disconnecting the sub from the avr again?

J

Jeff Chan

Audioholic Intern
Yes, when I pull out the signal wire, sub will go to sleep after a while. This mean there is a leakage from the Onkyo? I had changed the Onkyo before and it is grounded. How do I solve this problem?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, when I pull out the signal wire, sub will go to sleep after a while. This mean there is a leakage from the Onkyo? I had changed the Onkyo before and it is grounded. How do I solve this problem?
Does seem to be some signal the Onkyo is sending or something perhaps is wrong with the sub cable or it is picking up some RFI or other interference...is it a well-shielded coax cable between sub and avr?

J

Jeff Chan

Audioholic Intern
After 3 verification, the earthquake now behave quite normally. It will take about 24 mins before it goes to sleep. Currently the centre channel crossover set by AccEQ is 80Hz, would I get more "body" with the dialogue if I set it higher? say 120.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Set it where you like as far as xover goes, usually the issue is bass localization so somewhat depends where your sub(s) is(are) as to higher xovers. YMMV.

J

Jeff Chan

Audioholic Intern
Tks, I will try a few movies to get the optimum......Tks once again.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis