Don't fall for the BD Hype

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
I just bought a bunch of BD movies at Amazon using the B2G1f sale. I'm not sure the final price, because I had to place a bunch of separate order or the system just made the cheapest movies the free ones (had to order in groups of 3 with the similar priced ones together). But $10-$15 each on average (~$13) sounds about right for what I paid.

Jack

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Well I also have "The Holiday" and "Catch and Release" on Blu-ray, so I'm definitely not all about one genre. Say Anything is my favourite movie of all time.

As for the pricing, one need only look on www.blu-ray.com to see whose currently got sales on. They also have a great section which shows in order the current best single unit prices on Amazon.com in terms of %- off the MSRP.

3-for-2 on over 180 titles - http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&plgroup=1&docId=1000196201&plpage=1

Best bargains - http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/top.php?show=bargains
As I previously wrote, doby, if one can regularly buy BD DVD's for about twelve bucks a pop, that's a bargain.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Holy CRAP!!!

In the time it took me to make a post this thread crossed into a laugh fest. I'm out guys, I hope you can come back and enjoy this is much as I think I will.

Best wishes

Jack

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

And with that I bow out of this silly thread.
Completely agree- I really thought the point of the thread was to discussthe original statements made by the HD DVD guy in the article. It's gone well past that. I'm going back to the steam vent to talk about fish sandwiches from Wendy's.

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Now I know that you're
1) a troll,
2) a baiting troll
3) you really don't know what you talking about with the upscaling abilities of the A3 or projected images. Go away. You're now ruining the thread.
The A3 is not as good an upscaler as either the PS3 or the Oppo 980H. Try using a benchmark test disc and perhaps you'll get a better understanding. Forgive me if I accept benchmark test results over your personal anecdotal evidence.

Perhaps if you upgraded your projector from a composite connection you'd start to see the difference between upscaled DVD and HD?

Find one other person here that thinks upscaled DVD on a 100" screen even remotely compares to Blu-ray or HD DVD.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Holy CRAP!!!

In the time it took me to make a post this thread crossed into a laugh fest. I'm out guys, I hope you can come back and enjoy this is much as I think I will.

Best wishes

Jack
Yeah, it seems doby and I have the keyboard speed down, doesn't it? No, don't go away. Let's keep it on track. I didn't realize BD DVD's regularly went on sale that low, and have stated as much. Cheers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You purchase a certain winner(s) AceDefTechGuy! :p
I take it you do not care for most of the movies that are exclusive to blu-ray?

I reason I got both was because there were movies I liked that were exclusive to each side of the WAR.:D

B

Buckeye_Nut

I just bought a bunch of BD movies at Amazon using the B2G1f sale.
Jack
Yea...I bought a few on that deal too.

1. I bought the 5-disc Blade Runner Final Cut boxed set because it's one of my all time scifi favorites....and it's somehow (by a fluke) evaded my collection to this point.

2. Got the Terminator-3 BD: I bought the DVD waaaaay back when I was still buying "Fools Screen" versions....and the old "FS" version is totally unwatchable now.

3. Halloween ('78 version): Possibly the greatest movie of it's genre. Even though I've seen it many times, I have no clue how I've never owned a copy of my own. I cant wait to watch on a BD...!!

In spite of Blade Runner costing $27.....the entire 3-movie order was only $47:)

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I take it you do not care for most of the movies that are exclusive to blu-ray?

I reason I got both was because there were movies I liked that were exclusive to each side of the WAR.:D
No. I didn't state that at all.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Completely agree- I really thought the point of the thread was to discussthe original statements made by the HD DVD guy in the article. It's gone well past that. I'm going back to the steam vent to talk about fish sandwiches from Wendy's.
Well, that's what you thought aber. It's about that, (and btw, much of what he said has been poh-poohed as hyperbole, but it is not...he states many facts in that article), and most importantly why HD is not a bad deal. In fact it's a great deal. For many reasons, but with one caveat.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...The fact that it takes a minute to load has been well known for months...
I think my HD-XA1 takes about 90 minutes to load up, but the aesthetics of this machine looks so damn good that I just can't give it up.:D

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I think my HD-XA1 takes about 90 minutes to load up, but the aesthetics of this machine looks so damn good that I just can't give it up.:D
Thank you (don't we all just know it?). I've been seriously looking at the XA2, but $500 is a lot (these days). I think the the A35 will do the trick for me for many years to come. Yea. those XA1's and 2's are sweeeet. Nice buy (and solid machine) AcuDefTechGuy. And by the way, do only HD1.0's and 1.1's work on that thing? :p

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Ahhh, let yet another naysayer and doubter chime in.

$12 HD DVD's?
http://www.deepdiscount.com/DVD---Universal-Hi-Def-Sale_stcVVcatId476505VVviewcat.htm
Courtesy of BF1 this morning. Deals like this have been going on for a while...just not on this scale. I think I counted 100 movies there! (Most are $12.20...some $14 or $18).

And for the record, "worth a damn" as you put it is purely subjective. Let's not insert more of that here. One guy likes Transformers, the next Hitchcock. It's rather senseless to insert terms of "worth a damn" on movie preferences, is it not?

A3. Well, I hate to inform you Darien, but you're a cheapo! :p The A3 is selling for $119, and is Toshiba's entry level player. The only one that is cheaper is the A2, and that was $99 with 7 movies! What do you want for $119? Really. I stand amidst a buch of whiners. I come from the school that was modding Denons to the tune of $5k-$6k to get good pq...and not snivelling about it. The A3 is a solid player, that is also a phenomenal upscaler. The fact that it takes a minute to load has been well known for months. Well, take a bite of that hoagie and a sip of beer. Relax. I mean really. A 3rd gen HD player w/ 7 movies for $119 and you squawking about load times? Get creative and find something to occupy yourself with for sixty seconds. :eek: Or step up to the plate and get an XA2...much faster.

That's great, another BD fanboy. Right now I'm using the A3 on a 100" screen...nirvana! :) Load times? I'm speeding them up next week with an A35. :)
Wow. Way to keep up the personal attacks dude. All I did was state my personal experience and all of a sudden, I'm a fanboy. I'm FAR from a Sony fanboy. I HATE Sony in fact. But the bottom line is, my PS 3 works WAY better as a hi-def player than my A3 does. By the way, the A3 may sell for $119 now, but it was $200 when I bought it.

You're the one that's getting all defensive and attacking everyone that comes in here with a slightly different perception than you. Sounds to me like you're overcompensating and trying hard to convince yourself how great HD-DVD is. :D

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Wow. Way to keep up the personal attacks dude. All I did was state my personal experience and all of a sudden, I'm a fanboy. I'm FAR from a Sony fanboy. I HATE Sony in fact. But the bottom line is, my PS 3 works WAY better as a hi-def player than my A3 does. By the way, the A3 may sell for $119 now, but it was $200 when I bought it.

You're the one that's getting all defensive and attacking everyone that comes in here with a slightly different perception than you. Sounds to me like you're overcompensating and trying hard to convince yourself how great HD-DVD is. :D
Well, actually. not at all Darien. Don't mean to be in your face so much (or anyone's, for that matter), that's just the way I express myself (at times).

I was responding to a fellow HD owner that never heard of $12 HD DVD's. That's all. I've seen you around here quite a bit and found it incredulous that you never heard of $12 HD DVD's. Perhaps no more incredulous than my lack of realizing there was a proliferation of $12 BD DVD's, but then, I don't own a BD player. :)

That's all Darien. Didn't mean to go on the attack over $12 HD DVD's (I just thought it was sarcastic coming from a HD owner, and the statement that no HD movies were "worth a damn"). I hope you enjoy your HD and BD players for years to come. Truly. Peace out.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Lol...........................................................

skads_187

skads_187

Audioholic
crazy thread... but seriously though, getting back to the article, the guy is just playing with numbers in a certain way and just viewing one aspect of the war. There are million other aspects to look at, he is just pointing out one. Like someone else stated, and I have read in other threads, the bottom line is, especially in Europe, from what I understand, they are selling way more bd's than hd's.

I just one to win so that we can move on, hopefully it will be Blu-ray. Dont hate.

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
And by the way, do only HD1.0's and 1.1's work on that thing?
All BD discs regardless of which profile contents they contain will play all features on any player with the exception of PIP and BD Live features.

All 1.0 players will be able to play the 1.1 content as a separate feature, as the DMP-BD10 shows.

Sounds like you are a FUD-mongerer.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
All BD discs regardless of which profile contents they contain will play all features on any player with the exception of PIP and BD Live features.

All 1.0 players will be able to play the 1.1 content as a separate feature, as the DMP-BD10 shows.

Sounds like you are a FUD-mongerer.
Really? Well riddle me this one Batman: Do all BD movies play on all BD players? :p

Who's the FUD-mongerer now? Or who doesn't know what they're talking about...again? And just so we're clear, Mr. Doby, I don't even own a BD player. Someday I may, but not in the current quagmire of stuff. Cheers. :p

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Well, actually. not at all Darien. Don't mean to be in your face so much (or anyone's, for that matter), that's just the way I express myself (at times).

I was responding to a fellow HD owner that never heard of $12 HD DVD's. That's all. I've seen you around here quite a bit and found it incredulous that you never heard of $12 HD DVD's. Perhaps no more incredulous than my lack of realizing there was a proliferation of $12 BD DVD's, but then, I don't own a BD player. :)

That's all Darien. Didn't mean to go on the attack over $12 HD DVD's (I just thought it was sarcastic coming from a HD owner, and the statement that no HD movies were "worth a damn"). I hope you enjoy your HD and BD players for years to come. Truly. Peace out.
Sorry John, I wasn't saying that no HD-DVD is worth a damn, I was saying that the good ones, (Transformers, Batman Begins, etc.), always seem to be at least $19. But I'd never heard of DeepDiscounts.com, until you posted that link.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
To throw in my 2 cents, I couldn't care less who wins the HD format "war" but it certainly seems as of late that Blu-ray seems to have the upper hand in general. I'm not going to say anything derogatory about either format b/c it seems a few people take this sh*t way too seriously... :rolleyes:

I bought a used Philips BDP9000 a few months ago and have only bought a handful of BDs (maybe 15?), but all of them have been $20 or less, avg. price being around $14, which I can justify considering any SD releases less than two years old cost that.

The picture quality is pretty impressive, but as I only have a 61" screen and my display is limited to 1080i, I can't take fulll advantage of this format as of yet. I have seen the Sony BDP-S300 on 104" and 120" screens and it was impressive. From most reviews I've read, there is little difference in PQ between the lower end and higher end BD players, the differences tend to be in load speeds, functionality and format handling capabilities.

Even though I can't fully take advantage of the PQ, the SQ of the lossless tracks are pretty phenomenal, which I can enjoy via 5.1 analog. The profile "issue", as some put it, is a non-factor for myself. On rare occasions I'll watch a movie's extras, so whether my player has the different profile functionality or not is irrelevant to me. I believe you'll still be able to view the extras on a 1.0 profile player, just lose some of the higher profile specific functions. As for PIP, I've owned two TVs that have it and only at first did I use it, haven't turned it on in about four years now... -TD

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis