Don't fall for the BD Hype

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Apologize to yourself doby. According to you that's what is important. Anyone here could extrapolate ten other statitics. Who cares? None of them undoes the commentary, or the point that HD hardware and software is a fraction of the price of BD. That is what caused me to jump on the bandwagon. And, of course, 100" of 1080p glory! :p It's really quite a simple message coming from me, and aberkowitz nailed it.
Ok, so you think HD DVD still has a very good chance?:confused: I haven't seen statistics favoring HD DVD for some time now. Blu-ray outsells HD DVD, plain and simple.;)

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Apologize to yourself doby. According to you that's what is important. Anyone here could extrapolate ten other statitics. Who cares? None of them undoes the commentary, or the point that HD hardware and software is a fraction of the price of BD. That is what caused me to jump on the bandwagon. And, of course, 100" of 1080p glory! :p It's really quite a simple message coming from me, and aberkowitz nailed it.
It's a simple message coming from you John, but the message coming from Olivier Van Wynendaele, member of the HD DVD Promotions Group Europe, is more bollocks as usual.

1) Don't include PS3 when discussing hardware sales
2) Include the PS3 when discussing attach rates

Sorry, but you can't have it both ways. If you include the PS3 then attach rates look good but hardware is dismal. If you exclude the PS3 then hardware sales are similar but attach rates are dismal.

Anyone can see past this typical fluff/propaganda that the HD DVD PG puts out...nothing about it has changed. It's like Olivier took one of Graffeo's speeches and made a few changes with Tippex and a pen.

It takes very little to undo the commentary, because the logic is totally flawed.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Ok, so you think HD DVD still has a very good chance?:confused: I haven't seen statistics favoring HD DVD for some time now. Blu-ray outsells HD DVD, plain and simple.;)
Where did I write that? I've really been giving some members waaay to much credit. C'mon Seth, you're not one of them are you? That is not at all the gist of this thread...perhaps in Europe. But here in the USA it is what it is. Let me spell it out for those that can't read well: For $800 you can get a $500 player and approximately one thousand hours of movies. Any questions?

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
It takes very little to undo the commentary, because the logic is totally flawed.

Is it really doby? I believe you're over in the UK, but you still read the threads here. How many times has the PS3 been espoused as a BD player? How many times? And what is the lawsuit all about?

You're missing my point doby. You've fallen into the trap that so many before you have. I don't care! I don't care if HD wins. I don't care if BD wins. They both have outstanding pq and sq. But I can get their (HD) flagship player and some 500 movies for under one thousand dollars. That's what I care about, and that's what prompted my to by into HD. That's what made it a simple decision for me. So much so that I'm buying a backup A35...they're almost cheaper than the warranty! :eek::p

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Is it really doby? I believe you're over in the UK, but you still read the threads here. How many times has the PS3 been espoused as a BD player? How many times? And what is the lawsuit all about?

You're missing my point doby. You've fallen into the trap that so many before you have. I don't care! I don't care if HD wins. I don't care if BD wins. They both have outstanding pq and sq. But I can get their (HD) flagship player and some 500 movies for under one thousand dollars. That's what I care about, and that's what prompted my to by into HD. That's what made it a simple decision for me. So much so that I'm buying a backup A35...they're almost cheaper than the warranty! :eek::p
Close to Canada geezer, but nice try.
I haven't fallen into any trap. I have over 100 BD's and I've paid between $9.99 and $13.99 for most of them.
I find BD to have far more consistent sq, with three times as many lossless audio releases though that's hardly surprising.

As for Europe, Sigmatek just announced the SBR-1000 which will have an MSRP of less than 250€

Daytek will have a player hitting Canada soon for MSRP of $199, manufactured by Daewoo.

I've fallen into a trap? You're starting to remind me of Vizzini.

PS, by your calculations you're paying about $1.40 for each movie. You sure about those numbers?

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Close to Canada geezer, but nice try.
I haven't fallen into any trap. I have over 100 BD's and I've paid between $9.99 and $13.99 for most of them.
I find BD to have far more consistent sq, with three times as many lossless audio releases though that's hardly surprising.

As for Europe, Sigmatek just announced the SBR-1000 which will have an MSRP of less than 250€

Daytek will have a player hitting Canada soon for MSRP of $199, manufactured by Daewoo.

I've fallen into a trap? You're starting to remind me of Vizzini.

PS, by your calculations you're paying about $1.40 for each movie. You sure about those numbers?
Yeah, take a zero off. I'd like to know how you're regularly buying BD movies at $9.99. That secret sure has escaped this forum. :confused:

I don't know who Vizzini is, and don't care. Nor do I care "what's gonna be" up der in canda, eh? I do care what is. The pq and sq of the XA2 is unparalleled, and the A35 is a very close second. Daewoo? Soon?

Bottom Line. we are paying about $200 for the flagship Toshiba (not some unproven knockoff wannabe), as well as refurbed XA2's, and the movies are on sale regularly for $12-$15. (I'd still like to know how you're only paying $9.99). :)

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, take a zero off. I'd like to know how you're regularly buying BD movies at $9.99. That secret sure has escaped this forum. :confused:

I don't know who Vizzini is, and don't care. Nor do I care "what's gonna be" up der in canda, eh? I do care what is. The pq and sq of the XA2 is unparalleled, and the A35 is a very close second. Daewoo? Soon?

Bottom Line. we are paying about $200 for the flagship Toshiba (not some unproven knockoff wannabe), as well as refurbed XA2's, and the movies are on sale regularly for $12-$15. (I'd still like to know how you're only paying $9.99). :)
Garbage In, Garbage Out.
The sq of the XA2 is unparalleled? Who's feeding you this rubbish?
The upscaling of the XA2 is unparalleled amongst other HD players, but the pq and sq is very much equalled and with over three times as many BLu-ray titles featuring lossless audio you can bet the bank the sq of the XA2 is surpassed on a pretty consistent basis.

As for the $9.99-$13.99, I think I got 20 BD's all at the same time when Fry's had a massive $9.99 sale on Fox titles. I picked up Day After Tomorrow, Silver Surfer, Speed, 28 Weeks Later and others all at $9.99

Then there have been the numerous BOGO's and other sales at Amazon. In addition to that there were all the coupons for Warner's site, where I picked up the Harry Potter flicks for around $13 each.

Right now there is a buy 2 get one free sale on Amazon on over 180 different Blu-ray titles. Get 2 titles that are $14.95 and you get the third one free, that works out to $9.96 per title.

The BOGO's, two titles at $19.95 = $9.97 per disc.

I order all my discs from the US and ship to my friend's house in Buffalo, whom I see at least twice a month.

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
I'm Scottish, so I don't talk like Bob McKenzie, nor do most Canadians I know. Be ignorant if you wish.

Vizzini is from The Princess Bride. Your ramblings about falling for a trap remind me of his game with The Man In Black regarding Iocane powder.

Wanna let us know where you can get the flagship Toshiba (seems like a bit of an oxymoron to me) for $200? The XA2 is the "flagship" (sorry, have to laugh a bit there) Toshiba player.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Keep up the attacks. I don't care if you're Scottish or Welsh, we'll see if you can back it up Scotty. ;)

You are obviously limited...if you don't know about the problems BD has with their architecture and the PS3 lawsuit, you really have no business posting here...let alone being a BD fanboy/posterboy. At least be an informed one. Almost every other BD owner here abhors the 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, etc. game. Who wouldn't? Most people have spent $500 -$1,000 for their standalone BD players...that's a fact. And I'd like to see the receipt for those 100 titles @ $9.99. Stop blowing smoke up people's %$#@! and maybe you'll get listened to around here.

I'll admit I had a little fun with the title, but it is not mine. It is a direct quote from his article. I still fail to see why so many BD fans get into such a tizzy when HD states sales facts, nothwithstanding the title. I don't hate any BD owners. Why do they (some of them) hate HD owners so much? What could it be that sends them into such a rage?

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I think you mean "add a zero" to get to $10,000?
No, that's what a lot of BD owners have "invested." ;)

To repeat, HD players are selling for $100, and their flagship A35 for $224. To hit $10,000.00 with HD @ $12-$15 per movie, one would have to buy in excess of 700 titles! How many amongst us has that many titles, let alone cares to?

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I didn't really care who won either, hence I have a PS 3 and the A3. But my PS 3 kicks the crap out of my A3 for pure functionality. The A3 is so slow and clumsy to use that I hardly ever even turn it on anymore. Unless it's a special effects blockbuster, I don't even rent HD-DVD's anymore.

And where are you getting HD-DVD's for $12?!?!? The cheapest I've seen any of the movies that are worth a damn are $19.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I didn't really care who won either, hence I have a PS 3 and the A3. But my PS 3 kicks the crap out of my A3 for pure functionality. The A3 is so slow and clumsy to use that I hardly ever even turn it on anymore. Unless it's a special effects blockbuster, I don't even rent HD-DVD's anymore.

And where are you getting HD-DVD's for $12?!?!? The cheapest I've seen any of the movies that are worth a damn are $19.
Ahhh, let yet another naysayer and doubter chime in.

$12 HD DVD's?
http://www.deepdiscount.com/DVD---Universal-Hi-Def-Sale_stcVVcatId476505VVviewcat.htm
Courtesy of BF1 this morning. Deals like this have been going on for a while...just not on this scale. I think I counted 100 movies there! (Most are $12.20...some $14 or $18).

And for the record, "worth a damn" as you put it is purely subjective. Let's not insert more of that here. One guy likes Transformers, the next Hitchcock. It's rather senseless to insert terms of "worth a damn" on movie preferences, is it not?

A3. Well, I hate to inform you Darien, but you're a cheapo! :p The A3 is selling for $119, and is Toshiba's entry level player. The only one that is cheaper is the A2, and that was $99 with 7 movies! What do you want for $119? Really. I stand amidst a buch of whiners. I come from the school that was modding Denons to the tune of $5k-$6k to get good pq...and not snivelling about it. The A3 is a solid player, that is also a phenomenal upscaler. The fact that it takes a minute to load has been well known for months. Well, take a bite of that hoagie and a sip of beer. Relax. I mean really. A 3rd gen HD player w/ 7 movies for $119 and you squawking about load times? Get creative and find something to occupy yourself with for sixty seconds. :eek: Or step up to the plate and get an XA2...much faster.

That's great, another BD fanboy. Right now I'm using the A3 on a 100" screen...nirvana! :) Load times? I'm speeding them up next week with an A35. :)

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Keep up the attacks. I don't care if you're Scottish or Welsh, we'll see if you can back it up Scotty. ;)

You are obviously limited...if you don't know about the problems BD has with their architecture and the PS3 lawsuit, you really have no business posting here...let alone being a BD fanboy/posterboy. At least be an informed one. Almost every other BD owner here abhors the 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, etc. game. Most people have spent $500 -$1,000 for their standalone BD players...that's a fact. And I'd like to see the receipt for those 100 titles @ $9.99. Stop blowing smoke up people's %$#@! and maybe you'll get listened to around here.
I'd like to see you try to read a little better. What part of "I've paid between $9.99 and $13.99 for most of them." do you have trouble comprehending, because you seem to be fixated on the $9.99 part and ignoring the other 400 price points that fall in that range.

Ask me whether or not I give a toss about any lawsuit against the PS3 (oh I'm sure it threatens the very existence of Blu-ray doesn't it? :eek: ) and explain how mature someone has to be to suggest someone has no business posting in a forum called "Audioholics" based on whether they know about a PS3 lawsuit.

You appear to be discombobulated.

Most have not spent $500-$1000, that's not fact. Most standalone players didn't sell until they were under $500. Most people don't give a rat's knob about PIP and BD Live features, most people want to buy a movie to...get this...watch the movie!!! Incredible isn't it?

And just to humour you, here are a few scans of online orders I've placed. You can grab a calculator and see that all of them work out to between $9.99 and $13.99 each. Do even the smallest bit of research and you would have found this to be the case.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Where did I write that? I've really been giving some members waaay to much credit. C'mon Seth, you're not one of them are you? That is not at all the gist of this thread...perhaps in Europe. But here in the USA it is what it is. Let me spell it out for those that can't read well: For $800 you can get a $500 player and approximately one thousand hours of movies. Any questions?
And with that I bow out of this silly thread.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
I'd like to see you try to read a little better. What part of "I've paid between $9.99 and $13.99 for most of them." do you have trouble comprehending, because you seem to be fixated on the $9.99 part and ignoring the other 400 price points that fall in that range.

Ask me whether or not I give a toss about any lawsuit against the PS3 (oh I'm sure it threatens the very existence of Blu-ray doesn't it? :eek: ) and explain how mature someone has to be to suggest someone has no business posting in a forum called "Audioholics" based on whether they know about a PS3 lawsuit.

You appear to be discombobulated.

Most have not spent $500-$1000, that's not fact. Most standalone players didn't sell until they were under $500. Most people don't give a rat's knob about PIP and BD Live features, most people want to buy a movie to...get this...watch the movie!!! Incredible isn't it?

And just to humour you, here are a few scans of online orders I've placed. You can grab a calculator and see that all of them work out to between $9.99 and $13.99 each. Do even the smallest bit of research and you would have found this to be the case.

Well, if those receipts are actual...I stand corrected. You are obviously a savvy shopper, just the kind I send to the grocery store twice a week with a list and wadful of money. :p But your movie selections. Sheeesh. A man of violence are you? That likes sci-fi. I'm awaiting the other 73 titles (you wrote 100 titles, but have only listed 27).

This post is pure jest. If doby regularly gets BD DVD's for about twelve bucks...that's a deal. :)

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
No, that's what a lot of BD owners have "invested." ;)

To repeat, HD players are selling for $100, and their flagship A35 for $224. To hit $10,000.00 with HD @ $12-$15 per movie, one would have to buy in excess of 700 titles! How many amongst us has that many titles, let alone cares to?
Sorry Monsieur Backpeddle, but you said "I can get their (HD) flagship player and some 500 movies for under one thousand dollars."

Did you mean 50 movies?

PS - the A3 is not a phenominal upscaler, the PS3 is better, as is the Oppo 980H. Plus no upscaled DVD would look phenominal on a 100" screen once you've experienced Blu-ray.

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Well, if those receipts are actual...I stand corrected. You are obviously a savvy shopper, just the kind I send to the grocery store twice a week with a list and handful of money. But your movie selections. Sheeesh. A man of violence are you? That likes sci-fi. I'm awaiting the other 73 titles (you wrote 100 titles, but have only listed 27). :p

This post is pure jest. If doby regularly gets BD DVD's for about twelve bucks...that's a deal. :)
Well I also have "The Holiday" and "Catch and Release" on Blu-ray, so I'm definitely not all about one genre. Say Anything is my favourite movie of all time.

As for the pricing, one need only look on www.blu-ray.com to see whose currently got sales on. They also have a great section which shows in order the current best single unit prices on Amazon.com in terms of %- off the MSRP.

3-for-2 on over 180 titles - http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&plgroup=1&docId=1000196201&plpage=1

Best bargains - http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/top.php?show=bargains

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Sorry Monsieur Backpeddle, but you said "I can get their (HD) flagship player and some 500 movies for under one thousand dollars."

Did you mean 50 movies?
I already clarified that in a previous post doby. C'mon, let's get up to speed.

PS - the A3 is not a phenominal upscaler, the PS3 is better, as is the Oppo 980H. Plus no upscaled DVD would look phenominal on a 100" screen once you've experienced Blu-ray.
Now I know that you're
1) a troll,
2) a baiting troll
3) you really don't know what you talking about with the upscaling abilities of the A3 or projected images. Go away. You're now ruining the thread.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis