Custom Build JL Audio 13W1v2-4 project

annunaki

annunaki

So I did a test run with the amplifier and sub tonight in the enclosure. I did a ground plane measurement at 3 feet from the woofer cone. I was out in the open at minimum 25-30 feet from any large objects.

I used a RadioShack Analog SPL meter for testing with C weighting and slow response. I was just starting to get a touch of audible noise at 20hz, however it is just below the tuning frequency of 21hz. Most of the noise was due to the amplifier reaching a bit past it's limit I am sure.

20hz - 100db corrected actual 107.5db

22hz - 104db corrected actual 109db

25hz - 106db corrected actual 111db

30hz - 110db corrected actual 113db

35hz - 110.5db corrected actual approx. 113db

I did not test any higher in the frequency range so I did not begin to get complaints due to the high output. It did sound very smooth when I ran a quick sweep through it.

This thing is going to be a monster once it is in lbolt's home!!!

annunaki

annunaki

Enclosure assembled edges rounded:

Rear view of sub:

Front view of sub:

Matt34

Matt34

Enclosure turned out really good so far, has the owner decided on a finish?

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
So I did a test run with the amplifier and sub tonight in the enclosure. I did a ground plane measurement at 3 feet from the woofer cone. I was out in the open at minimum 25-30 feet from any large objects.

I used a RadioShack Analog SPL meter for testing with C weighting and slow response. I was just starting to get a touch of audible noise at 20hz, however it is just below the tuning frequency of 21hz. Most of the noise was due to the amplifier reaching a bit past it's limit I am sure.

20hz - 100db corrected actual 107.5db

22hz - 104db corrected actual 109db

25hz - 106db corrected actual 111db

30hz - 110db corrected actual 113db

35hz - 110.5db corrected actual approx. 113db

I did not test any higher in the frequency range so I did not begin to get complaints due to the high output. It did sound very smooth when I ran a quick sweep through it.

This thing is going to be a monster once it is in lbolt's home!!!
Remember to drop 6dB from those numbers to compare to free field 1M or standard 2M ground plane that simulates 1M free field, for purposes of comparison.

-Chris

annunaki

annunaki

Thanks Chris, I did not have any conversions for that.

Matt we are doing a textured black finish.

annunaki

annunaki

Here we go, finished product. It was delivered this evening. So far so good.

Cabinet finished, ready to load:

Amplifier loaded:

Subwoofer loaded:

Finished sub with grille attached:

Djizasse

Djizasse

Senior Audioholic
It turned out very nice (it was expected ;) )
What does the owner says? Has he loaded the sub?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
wow, i like the finish! i wish i knew how to finish like that

annunaki

annunaki

Believe it or not, it was pretty simple. First paint the enclosure the base color. In this case, black. Then I used a stone based finish over the paint. I used multiple coats of each in potential high wear/abuse areas like corners and the top. I also let the enclosure bake in the sun to help cure the paint all the way through. All of it was oil based spray.

L

lbolts20

Junior Audioholic
The pictures don't do the finish justice. Looks great in my basement, Annunaki did an excellent job. Luckily I have a large area so space isn't an issue as the sub is pretty good sized. My DJ friend is getting me a few very bass heavy songs and some organ music to give it a good workout this weekend when the wife & kids won't be around for a few hours. My plasterer works for beer so I have his number on speed dial if I need it.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
So.... very nice work buddy.... Looks fantastic !!!

Now.... how does it sound, to your ears and in your opinion compared to other subs you have built, bought, or listened to... ?

:)

P.S. Did you say that you do Car Audio.... can't remember...

annunaki

annunaki

I do both types of audio.

It sounded very good when we ran it on a few different sources. I would have liked to play with the placement more and such but I did not have the time. I think that for the money it was one of the best subs I have heard in a long time. It easily meets the performance of my SVS PB-12 Ultra and may even best it in output.

L

lbolts20

Junior Audioholic
I tested out some music and just finished watching transformers. This sub is awesome and truly exceeded my expectations. If anyone is looking to have Annunaki build them a sub and your in Wisconsin in the Fox Valley area stop on by my house for a listen, you won't be disappointed.

J

jamie2112

Banned
Wow that looks AMAZING! Great job..I bet that sounds great every sub from JL that I have heard is stellar in performance......I just have never been able to afford one. This looks like a good option....

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I do both types of audio.

It sounded very good when we ran it on a few different sources. I would have liked to play with the placement more and such but I did not have the time. I think that for the money it was one of the best subs I have heard in a long time. It easily meets the performance of my SVS PB-12 Ultra and may even best it in output.
Great to hear the sub turned out so nicely... that a relief after going through all the work and not knowing... Congrats...

I'll be Sending out a PM....

Long Story short, I smashed my beloved 2000 Accord Coupe, and I'll be looking to get a new 2009 Accord ... They are looking pretty sexy, but the 270 watt :rolleyes: premium sound system just doesn't have the oomph that I want out of a system, problem is its all integrated with the Navi and bells 'n whistles, so I was possibly looking to put in all new speaks, possibly amps, maybe a nice sub.

Could use some help with this stuff...

I'll start my own thread to not contaminate this one any further... :eek:

annunaki

annunaki

Great to hear the sub turned out so nicely... that a relief after going through all the work and not knowing... Congrats...

I'll be Sending out a PM....

Long Story short, I smashed my beloved 2000 Accord Coupe, and I'll be looking to get a new 2009 Accord ... They are looking pretty sexy, but the 270 watt :rolleyes: premium sound system just doesn't have the oomph that I want out of a system, problem is its all integrated with the Navi and bells 'n whistles, so I was possibly looking to put in all new speaks, possibly amps, maybe a nice sub.

Could use some help with this stuff...

I'll start my own thread to not contaminate this one any further... :eek:
I responded to your thread. Thanks for the compliments.

annunaki

annunaki

Wow that looks AMAZING! Great job..I bet that sounds great every sub from JL that I have heard is stellar in performance......I just have never been able to afford one. This looks like a good option....
I feel that this is a great sub for someone on a DIY budget of $350.00-$400.00 or less for the whole works including shipping and all.

Not only does it play fairly deep but it does so with authority. My guess, based upon my ground plane measurments is in room SPL in the neighborhood of 115db at or around 20hz in a 2500cu.ft room or so.

I wish I would have had more time to play with it at lbolts home. It sounded quite good though when I was there. No overhang, just nice and accurate. It will not plumb the absolute depths of the bass range but it does a great job with what we actually can hear (at a very respectable output level) which is what lbolts was after.

Last edited:
L

lbolts20

Junior Audioholic
Yesterday my 5 year old daughter wanted to watch a movie downstairs with the cool big speaker "sub". My wife went down there to turn it on and saw the sub for the first time and from the sound of things she almost fell over. I wish I could have seen the look on her face:D When I got home last night she says and I quote "What the hell were you thinking getting something that big" I laughed and said I thought bigger would be better? I also pointed out we talked about having a sub built for the basement and she said that's fine as long as we didn't overspend on it. At no point did we ever talk about the size or output. She envisioned we were getting one of those tiny subs for a computer. I think I may lose on this one as she took vacation today to go "shopping"

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis