highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Why so much weight on the color?
It should take longer than 2K miles to become so dark that it's hard to see through it. The exhaust reaching the crankcase is a big cause, although not the only one. Filters that have reached the end of their useful lives eventually stop filtering and the dirt bypasses it completely, leading to the accumulation.

highfigh

highfigh

Think when I change it will do it under direct sunlight as I've been doing it in the garage and can't really tell.

Lol looks like I was using full synthetic this time. I think they were out of regular. Also just skip the STP for now on.

On the dipstick it looks dark brown at 2k.
I should add a step to the 'If it were me' post- replacing just the filter could tell you if it's clogged.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It should take longer than 2K miles to become so dark that it's hard to see through it. The exhaust reaching the crankcase is a big cause, although not the only one. Filters that have reached the end of their useful lives eventually stop filtering and the dirt bypasses it completely, leading to the accumulation.
Well right. It should take more than 2@ to be that dark. BUT, everyone’s perception is different. So he might look at brown oil the same way I look at the oil in my DT466. My point earlier was that something else is going on here, and the money spent on early oil changes won’t fix that, and should be spent addressing the real problem. Whether it’s pcv, or valve seats or guides or whatever…. I doubt the oil filter is clogged since it’s changed so often.
With that many miles, I’d guess the rings are shot too. Should do a compression test too.
For some reason he’s ignored me twice about why the focus on color, so I don’t know…
FWIW I think I only live about an hour and a half from dude. lol.

highfigh

highfigh

Well right. It should take more than 2@ to be that dark. BUT, everyone’s perception is different. So he might look at brown oil the same way I look at the oil in my DT466. My point earlier was that something else is going on here, and the money spent on early oil changes won’t fix that, and should be spent addressing the real problem. Whether it’s pcv, or valve seats or guides or whatever…. I doubt the oil filter is clogged since it’s changed so often.
With that many miles, I’d guess the rings are shot too. Should do a compression test too.
For some reason he’s ignored me twice about why the focus on color, so I don’t know…
Don't need to look through it, either- wipe the dipstick on a white paper towel when it's fresh and remember how dark it is (or save it), then do it at 2K although looking through lets someone see if it's opaque.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
No mine is a 10k oil filter.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Don't need to look through it, either- wipe the dipstick on a white paper towel when it's fresh and remember how dark it is (or save it), then do it at 2K although looking through lets someone see if it's opaque.
I better not rush to judgement. I haven't wiped the dipstick on a white paper towel in ages. Always been a rag, and I've done quite a few of the changes in the garage where light isnt great. I went with the super tech oil filter cause it was 10k and still cheaper than the 3k Toyota filter LOL.

highfigh

highfigh

I better not rush to judgement. I haven't wiped the dipstick on a white paper towel in ages. Always been a rag, and I've done quite a few of the changes in the garage where light isnt great. I went with the super tech oil filter cause it was 10k and still cheaper than the 3k Toyota filter LOL.
If the garage isn't brightly lit, going outside is what I do. The link shows this- "Champions Laboratories also manufactures other brands of oil filters such as STP, filter K&N, and Mobil 1 oil filters." and while the other brands can require something different, the SuperTech filters meet/exceed manufacturer specs, so go ahead and save money. I have seen oil filter reviews for a long time and one paper was written by a professor in the ICE program at the Milwaukee School of Engineering, which has educated a lot of engineers who work(ed) for automakers over the decades and his findings WRT Fram showed that they made crap. That may have changed. AFAIK, WIX makes a lot of filters for other companies like AC Delco and WIX is considered to be a good manufacturer.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
About 30 years ago I worked as a cashier at Sinclair gas station. Me and the mechanic next door use to talk about cars. One time I could hear him through the wall saying, F--king Ford! :p

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
About 30 years ago I worked as a cashier at Sinclair gas station. Me and the mechanic next door use to talk about cars. One time I could hear him through the wall saying, F--king Ford! :p
I worked during high school on the weekends at a Gulf full service station and everything sucked but Chevy. :D

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I worked during high school on the weekends at a Gulf full service station and everything sucked but Chevy. :D
I worked at a Texaco station on weekends when going to school and drove a Dodge ........ :eek:

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
One time we were in the car and we drove by a Dodge on the side of the road and he said, They ran out of gas. He was a big Dodge fan. I'm sure i was in tears LOL when he said F--king Ford cause I owned an 85 Crown Vic with the worst carb ever the Variable Venturi. :p

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I haven't owned a dodge product since the late 90's and I don't plan to again either. lol
I would like to own a 70 Cuda with the R code 426, or the 1971 R code Cuda with a rare convertible.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I would like to own a 70 Cuda with the R code 426, or the 1971 R code Cuda with a rare convertible.
My little lady's cousin has a beautiful, fully restored 69 Cuda. I didn't grab any pics of it last time I was at their place though. Muscle car / project car is a bit different than a daily...usually :)

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
My little lady's cousin has a beautiful, fully restored 69 Cuda. I didn't grab any pics of it last time I was at their place though. Muscle car / project car is a bit different than a daily...usually :)
Hugely different and a lot more valuable depending on the car and its condition.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Hugely different and a lot more valuable depending on the car and its condition.
I prefer the look of the 70, but that 69 looks to have been done right. Her daily is an RS4 Avant, they have the money to do it right.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I mean if I had the money the only Dodge I'd really be interested is an ACR Viper. But they're too pricey for my pockets!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis