"Blu-Ray Sales Tank" Editorial

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My PS3 works perfectly with every disc I have tried. It works perfectly as a DVD player as well.

One reason sales are an issue is that people are fixated on needing a standalone when the perfect combined with cheapest Blu Ray player is staring them right in the face! I used to be one of those folks until I opened my eyes. Standalones are waaay too expensive for what you get.

I see the solution as more marketing for the PS3 as a Blu Ray player (in addition to everything else it offers) and/or lower priced complete SA players fast!

Pat
I don't want a PS3. I have no interest in games, and there is no way I can install it neatly. I want a high build quality player, preferably 19 inch rack mount, that will have longevity. I have no desire for a lowest common denominator solution like a PS3.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I have no use for a PS3. I require analog outs and a player with 2.0 firmware and counting heavily on the Panasonic product and not the elitist brands like Pioneer or Denon BR players.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I don't want a PS3. I have no interest in games, and there is no way I can install it neatly. I want a high build quality player, preferably 19 inch rack mount, that will have longevity. I have no desire for a lowest common denominator solution like a PS3.
Great - someday you will have exactly this, and until then, everyone else can own a BD player and enjoy it via PS3. I expect 2.0 players will be far more readily available come this holiday season, so you can get what you want.

Personally - I got a launch date 60GB model, put it in my 19" rack a week later, and haven't touched it since then except to add IR control for my Crestron control system.

Ease of use, convenient, fast... I'll take lowest common denominator as long as it follows that pattern any day of the week.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm telling you guys, TLS is getting the Marantz BD player!:D
Gotta have the ultimate, right?:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have no use for a PS3. I require analog outs and a player with 2.0 firmware and counting heavily on the Panasonic product and not the elitist brands like Pioneer or Denon BR players.
Yeah, the Panasonic DMP-BD50 looks pretty hot and it retails @ $700.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

I wonder how many people who bought a new HDTV for Christmas will be buying a new BD player with their Stimulus rebates? It will be interesting to see what the numbers are a few months down the road.

Over the last year and a half I have watched over 200 BD movies. Not one had any sort of problem playing. From what I have read is the players from Samsung are the ones with the majority of the problems. Which doesn't suprise me, their dvd / SACD players never lived up to the hype.

As for now the 2.0 profile is laughable. From my experience, 2.0 is slow, clunky and a waste of time. Maybe in the future the movie studios will make better use of it?

I can see it now, the "Blu-ray is dead because 2.0 is disappointing" thread being started. Or wait maybe it will be "Blu-ray is dead because the players are too cheap"?

The fact remains, there will always be someone who feels the need to knock something on any new product. For you guys, have fun... I'm going to watch a movie on my BD player. :p

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Over the last year and a half I have watched over 200 BD movies. Not one had any sort of problem playing.
I've probably seen over 100 BD movies. I've had 1) Sony BD, 2) PS3, 3) Panasonic BD, and now 4) Denon BD. Never had one problem playing back any BD movie.

I still don't even know what Profile 2.0 or 1.1 is for!:D

Heck, I don't even care for movie extras. I just care about watching a great movie with great PQ & SQ.

Oh, I just updated my Denon DVD-3800BDCI with a new firmware.:D

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Sounds like a bunch of bull to me. I don't see any facts, only conjecture.
Absolutely right, the author of this "editorial" is clearly smoking crack.
It's a shame that members here choose to post this sort of crap and even seem to take some of this to heart.

Blu-ray is not quite at its 2nd birthday. DVD took 7 years to outrent VHS.

Anyone that thinks Blu-ray is not going to replace DVD within a similar timeframe is going to be rather suprised within a few years when Blu-ray overtakes DVD at retail.

Oh, say hello to the first sub-$300 Blu-ray player at Wal*Mart. This will be a sub-$200 player at Black Friday no doubt.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1292

It's incredible how many would-be experts are one of the following:

a) Incredibly naive
b) Incredibly dumb
c) Incredibly compensated for a) or b)

=D

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, the Panasonic DMP-BD50 looks pretty hot and it retails @ $700.
It was supposed to be around $350 for the BD30 and $450 for the BD50 when the 50 launches, but Matsushita stepped in, which is where the players are made, and said that because of the current crappy US$, those prices were not realistic for launch.

$699 is the MSRP for launch, it will drop quickly throughout Q3 and Q4, particularly when other profile 2.0 players hit the market like the Sony BDP-S550.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Absolutely right, the author of this "editorial" is clearly smoking crack.
It's a shame that members here choose to post this sort of crap and even seem to take some of this to heart.

Blu-ray is not quite at its 2nd birthday. DVD took 7 years to outrent VHS.

Anyone that thinks Blu-ray is not going to replace DVD within a similar timeframe is going to be rather suprised within a few years when Blu-ray overtakes DVD at retail.

Oh, say hello to the first sub-$300 Blu-ray player at Wal*Mart. This will be a sub-$200 player at Black Friday no doubt.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1292

It's incredible how many would-be experts are one of the following:

a) Incredibly naive
b) Incredibly dumb
c) Incredibly compensated for a) or b)

=D
I think the author is quite sane. The BD enthusiasts are just apologists for the studios. Sony and the studio DRM subsidiaries have made as big a "meat up" of BD + as they have the HDCP codes. I'm telling you mass market will not stand for it.

Look at this post from one of our moderators. I agree, and for the moment I will have nothing to do with it.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=375520&postcount=7

P

ParkerAudio

Full Audioholic
Some say don't worry about getting 2.0 profile, but I wonder if eventually there will be a similar issue between disc compatibility just like the 1.0 and 1.1 profile players have.
I'd play it safe and make sure to get a 2.0 final edition profile Bluray player, especially at this point.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Some say don't worry about getting 2.0 profile, but I wonder if eventually there will be a similar issue between disc compatibility just like the 1.0 and 1.1 profile players have.
I'd play it safe and make sure to get a 2.0 final edition profile Bluray player, especially at this point.
Yes and what comes after 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3.......?

There's are unpublishable expletives for that!

P

ParkerAudio

Full Audioholic
Hopefully we are at the end of the line with profiles, at least this is as far as they have reported going for awhile.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It has been fun reading through this long thread. The funniest part is, every time someone say something negative about BD the immediate predictable reaction was the 'sour grape' calls. I thought by definition sour grape would or at least could, refer to one who bought a BD (or HD DVD) player at extraordinary high price, not those who bought HD DVD players at blow out prices, knowing that HD DVD would be, or was already, a dead format but bought it anyway for watching SD DVD at upconverted resolution.

Regardless of the DRM deal (there aren't that many TLS out there:D), I do believe BD is viable as soon as they become more affordable, say at around $150 to $200. I hope it happens soon.

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Look at this post from one of our moderators. I agree, and for the moment I will have nothing to do with it.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showpost.php?p=375520&postcount=7
This part caught my eye:

Sony today is no longer the cool, hip company that invented the VCR.
I've read enough of Wayde's posts to realise that he is everything he claims NOT to be; jaded.
There are COUNTLESS mistakes in that post.
And correct me if I'm wrong, but did Sony suddenly buy EMI, Universal Music Group or Warner Music Group? So how is there a 50% chance they own any song I might be listening to at any given time?
Toshiba knows it's on the side of justice
Yup, good old Captain Toshiba! Launching their format in the face of the one supported by just about everyone else and saying their fighting for Justice and for the consumer.

Please pull my leg.

I don't want compromise where picture and audio are concerned and that's exactly what HD DVD was...a compromise. I want lossless audio, not Dolby Digital Plus. I want to see albums released in high resolution with video content as an option. Wayde and yourself may claim that this is all some giant apologetist approach to supporting the Blu-ray studios, but I've supported the one that as a consumer I feel has the best potential to deliver what I want and I don't care if it takes a few years to get it right, it will be worth it in the long run to my eyes and ears.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis