Best Home Theater under 3K

S

spike99

Junior Audioholic
If you are asking AHers opinions, please from now IGNORE any dealers recommendations.

Paradigms have higher profit margins than PSB. In general it's apples vs oranges. Listed to the music you know well and hopefully at same loudness.
Decide for yourself. For music - you'll need good sub or two anyways. It's just matter of crossover point.

However for rec:
I do like a lot GrantedEV suggested setup:

But I'd replace ERD-1 to Ascend CBM-170 SE
Yes, I think what I need to do is to go to stores and listen to speakers.... I will also start checking where I can listen to Ascend speakers.

R

RMRM

Audioholic Intern
I owned Paradigm monitors and have heard PSB, the monitors did sound good for movies, I thought they sounded ok for music. Their strong point was movies. I think that the Axiom VP-150 or VP-100 as a center would be under the 8" tall. PSB, Paradigm, and Axiom all came from the NRC I own Axioms too all three are good. Just keep looking and listening that's the best part I think.:D

S

spike99

Junior Audioholic
I owned Paradigm monitors and have heard PSB, the monitors did sound good for movies, I thought they sounded ok for music. Their strong point was movies. I think that the Axiom VP-150 or VP-100 as a center would be under the 8" tall. PSB, Paradigm, and Axiom all came from the NRC I own Axioms too all three are good. Just keep looking and listening that's the best part I think.:D
Axiom, really do look nice... Yes, Axiom VP 150 & 100 are under 8" (Actually I can place a maximum height of 8.5") but my width is 26.75 and VP 150 is 27.5" argh!!

R

RMRM

Audioholic Intern
I have the VP-100 in my bedroom setup my room is 16' x 14' x 9' so just a bit bigger than yours and it does great. I have the M22's front QS8's for rears I use a small sub a STF-1. I could go bigger on the sub but for a 5.1 bedroom setup I'm happy have fun looking.:D

S

spike99

Junior Audioholic
I have the VP-100 in my bedroom setup my room is 16' x 14' x 9' so just a bit bigger than yours and it does great. I have the M22's front QS8's for rears I use a small sub a STF-1. I could go bigger on the sub but for a 5.1 bedroom setup I'm happy have fun looking.:D
OK, Thanks...

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
OK, so someone had suggested PBS speaker and on my lunch break I was able to find a nearby vendor.

Although I did not have time to listen to any music, salesperson was recommending Paradigm for me versus PBS. They suggested that PBS was more for music listening... My use will be mainly be movies and not music. I will be going another day for some testing... but in the mean time I will research these speakers. Does anyone recommend this company ? In general, I do want to stick with only one company for all speakers versus mix matching different companies.

Note: I have my TV on top of my BDI cabinet and for now I'm not sure if I will place mount my TV on a TV mount/wall. Hence I want to place center speaker in BDI's speaker drawer which only allows a maximum height of 8".

I would appreciate any suggestions that center speakers are no more than 8".

Thanks in advance :)
Listen to both the Paradigms and the PSBs and don't let the sales person push you into one speaker over the other. All my friends jaws drop when they hear my PSB Home Theater set-up. They can't believe how real and how dynamic my sound system is. These two Canadian companies are competitors and are well rgarded in the industry. I suspect the dealerr maybe pushing the Paradigms for inventory purposes. Audition for yourself and choose. However, make sure the two systems are level matched, ie. playing at the same loudness level because the louder system always sounds better than the quiter system. Its a fault of human hearing that sales people take advantage of, pushing their preferred system with louder volume levels than the others they may have. If you choose the Paradigms over the PSBs after a level matched audition, more power to you. Then you made an informed decision. :)

Out of curiosity, which PSB/Paradigm models are you auditioning?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Paradigm have their own acoustic facilities so as far as I know, they don't use Canada's NRC facilities. PSB I know does not have acoustic facilities and thats why they use the NRC. I can't recall if Axiom has their own acosutic facilities or use teh NRC. :)

SopRage

SopRage

Audioholic
If you are asking AHers opinions, please from now IGNORE any dealers recommendations.

Paradigms have higher profit margins than PSB. In general it's apples vs oranges. Listed to the music you know well and hopefully at same loudness.
Decide for yourself. For music - you'll need good sub or two anyways. It's just matter of crossover point.

However for rec:
I do like a lot GrantedEV suggested setup:

But I'd replace ERD-1 to Ascend CBM-170 SE
You could roll with Ascend HTM-200 SEs to save more money. I've used both the CBM-170 and HTM-200s as surrounds, and frankly I'm not sure how much more performance I'm getting out of the 170's (with my crossover at 80hz).

R

RMRM

Audioholic Intern
Thanks 3db what I meant to say is they all started with the NRC. IMO having owned Axiom and Paradigm have listened to PSB ( almost bought the Synchrony Ones )they all are great speakers. Hey just two more to add on your list to check out Monitor Audio and Revel. Have a good one :D

Last edited:
S

spike99

Junior Audioholic
Out of curiosity, which PSB/Paradigm models are you auditioning?
For Paradigm, I will be checking the monitor series, for PSB, I don't know... what series should I be looking at ?

R

RMRM

Audioholic Intern
Look at the Image, G.Design, and Imagine I liked the Imagine sounded great but can't say where those are priced at. I like my Axiom over the my old Monitor series. Happy hunting:D

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Look at the PSB Image series - I like them much better than the
Monitor's. They are more open, detailed, balanced and dynamic,
than the Monitor's. The next line up is the Imagine series - their
bookshelves are $1000 a pair, and towers are $2000 a pair.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
For Paradigm, I will be checking the monitor series, for PSB, I don't know... what series should I be looking at ?
From a money perspective, look at either the Image or the G series.
:)

S

spike99

Junior Audioholic
OK.... So I went for some demos today...
First I went to a local dealer to demo Paradigm and I thought they were good.

Then I went to Best Buy but I really had my mind up about Paradigm. I checked B&W CM 600 Series, CM Series & Martin Logan (Model: MO12BL).

Well I thought B&W CM 600 & Martin Logan were both good but thought CM Series was much better. Although my main use is movies, but listening to those speakers gave me the feeling of going out and buying some music... it was that good.

I'm really now considering CM series, it's probably going to be more money than I had planned... but I'm really going to see If I can squeeze out more to get the CM series.

In reality, its a bit comparing apples and oranges with Paradigm because I was not in the same environment and the music was different.... but I know I did not leave with the same feeling of "WOW".

Previously, I probably would have bought any speakers that I had not listened to... and most likely would not know what's good.... But, I can see now... that the best thing to do... Is to go out and actually listening to them before buying...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
In reality, its a bit comparing apples and oranges with Paradigm because I was not in the same environment and the music was different....
That is a very important point. I would advise you - if there is anyway possible to try to get at least the two pairs of speakers you think sound best into your home at the same time.

No dealer would be happy about you taking home a brand new pair and returning them in an opened box, but I have bought the demo speakers before with the understanding that
1) if I liked them I would swap them for new speakers (or get a discount for the demo speakers)
or
2) If I didn't like them, I would return them for a full refund.
Most dealers will go with this if they know it is down to them and one other product!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
OK.... So I went for some demos today...
First I went to a local dealer to demo Paradigm and I thought they were good.

Then I went to Best Buy but I really had my mind up about Paradigm. I checked B&W CM 600 Series, CM Series & Martin Logan (Model: MO12BL).

Well I thought B&W CM 600 & Martin Logan were both good but thought CM Series was much better. Although my main use is movies, but listening to those speakers gave me the feeling of going out and buying some music... it was that good.

I'm really now considering CM series, it's probably going to be more money than I had planned... but I'm really going to see If I can squeeze out more to get the CM series.

In reality, its a bit comparing apples and oranges with Paradigm because I was not in the same environment and the music was different.... but I know I did not leave with the same feeling of "WOW".

Previously, I probably would have bought any speakers that I had not listened to... and most likely would not know what's good.... But, I can see now... that the best thing to do... Is to go out and actually listening to them before buying...
Have you audiioned the PSB's yet?

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Buying a set of towers for that room is just plain silly...

Get some bookshelves, with the money saved invest in a better subwoofer, and you don't really need 2 subs in that room either, as much as everyone will push you towards 2, a room as small as that will have tons of bass with a single 12, though it won't reach as low for deep bass movies, it'll be plenty impressive....

Bookshelves will image better anyways... There are tons of speaker companies out there, and you don't really have to match surrounds either, just make sure the front 3 are the same....

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
There are two good things about Polk speakers
1. they make pretty good sounding speakers
2. their cheaper speakers sound about as good as their expensive speakers

Take a look at the just discontinued Monitor series on this site (both towers and bookshelf units)....you can find more detailed specs on polks site by making search by model...If your primary emphasis is movies, these will do fine and you can keep some of your powder dry for other stuff....The exception is a sub....would look at VTF 2 on HSU site and equivilent $350 unit on SVS site

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290209

MrRipfrog

MrRipfrog

Audiophyte
There are two good things about Polk speakers
1. they make pretty good sounding speakers
2. their cheaper speakers sound about as good as their expensive speakers
I am no expert, but I have all Polk Audio speakers and everyone I have over to my place is very impressed with the system!

Plasma - Pioneer PRO-1140 HD (50")
Receiver - Pioneer VSX-32
BluRay/Game - Playstation 3 (original)
Game - XBox 360
HD DVD - Samsung HD A2
Programming - DirecTV HR24-500
Speakers - Polk Audio RT1000p (main) CS300 (center) RT3 (surround back) T15 (surround sides)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis