B&W 802D: 3rd Time's a Charm on Friday the 13th

T

toddt007

Audioholic Intern
I would put the money in the bank and say heck with speakers. You can't buy stuff with speakers but you sure can with money.

PS: Saw Sarah Jarosz at Merlefest 2011 in Wilkesboro, NC but who impressed me most was the Wailin Jennys with their harmonies.
the wailin' jennys - long time traveller with lyrics - YouTube
Lucky you!!! I was planning on going to Merlfest to see Sierra Hull, but things came up and I couldn't go. Still bummed out about that... She was in Oakland, KY. shortly after that, and I somehow missed that one too.:mad:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Will check Wailin Jennys out. :D
I like it. :D

I cannot believe I am liking all this Bluegrass music. :eek: :D

Never thought I would. :D

Always been pop/ rock/ classical/ some jazz. Now Bluegrass.

Thank the lord for high quality music and speakers. :D

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Lucky you!!! I was planning on going to Merlfest to see Sierra Hull, but things came up and I couldn't go. Still bummed out about that... She was in Oakland, KY. shortly after that, and I somehow missed that one too.:mad:
Been going to Merlefest since 1995, haven't missed a year yet, its not just bluegrass, but folk and people that enjoy playing music.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja

nothing wrong with real music that has been around since the 1600's. It got its roots from the ballads and dance music from Ireland and Scotland

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

One possibility (it is the case with me) is that you have typically heard Blue Grass on the radio where they are playing 50+ year old recordings (somehow most blue grass recordings of the day didn't get Telarc treatment). The music is good and the performances are amazing, but the sound just sucks on these old recordings - especially lots of wow and flutter (that is a term you hardly hear anymore!)!

T

toddt007

Audioholic Intern
Hey Acu, glad your diggin this type of music! I'll listen to anything, as long as it sounds good. But I wanted to share this video. As you know I'm a big Sierra Hull fan. This is a video of her with Allison Krauss when she was about 8 yrs. old or so. I get tickled every time I watch it! Its called "Cluck old hen." Sierra is the kid in the middle playing the mandolin.
YouTube - Cluck Old Hen-Alison Krauss/Sierra Hull

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
One possibility (it is the case with me) is that you have typically heard Blue Grass on the radio where they are playing 50+ year old recordings (somehow most blue grass recordings of the day didn't get Telarc treatment). The music is good and the performances are amazing, but the sound just sucks on these old recordings - especially lots of wow and flutter (that is a term you hardly hear anymore!)!
Anybody heard Steve Martin's (the comedian) bluegrass band. Pretty good and they did an Austin City Limits show

R

ridikas

Banned
Acu, if you're looking for floor standing speakers in the $3K-$4K range, I've found the holy grail: LSiM707 - Floorstanding | Polk Audio®

I had a chance to listen to them and they are absolutely stunning. Might even be my favorite speakers under $10K.

You know I'm a huge fan of Revel and have been waiting for the new Performa3 line. There's no way that they'll be able to compete.

Absolutely an inspirational product!

T

toddt007

Audioholic Intern
Acu, if you're looking for floor standing speakers in the $3K-$4K range, I've found the holy grail: LSiM707 - Floorstanding | Polk Audio®

I had a chance to listen to them and they are absolutely stunning. Might even be my favorite speakers under $10K.

You know I'm a huge fan of Revel and have been waiting for the new Performa3 line. There's no way that they'll be able to compete.

Really???????

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I'm sure the Polk sounds great, but I'll pass. :D

Different strokes for different folks.

And I'm sure the new Revel speakers will be able to complete with any Polk speakers just fine. :cool:

My 3 favorite brands:

R

ridikas

Banned
Are those Focal 826V a new item in your collection? What do you think of them? Just curious :)

For some reason Focal always likes to cross their tweeter high (around 3kHz) and use a rather large midrange/midwoofer (6"-7"). Resulting in this:

Focal Chorus 800 V Speaker System HT Labs Measures | Home Theater

And it even gets worse at 30/45/60 degrees horizontal off-axis.

I had a chance to listen to the Focal Electra 1028 Be and thought it sounded excellent, even though they have a very similar response: Focal Electra 1028 Be Speaker System HT Labs Measures | Home Theater

S

saeyedoc

Junior Audioholic

I've been listening to some bluegrass lately since it's on a HD a friend sent me. Check out the Pizza Tapes with Jerry Garcia,David Grisman and Tony Rice. Also ran across a multi-channel recording of Bela Fleck that's cool, feels like you're right on stage with the band.

A

ACsGreens

Full Audioholic
I've been listening to some bluegrass lately since it's on a HD a friend sent me. Check out the Pizza Tapes with Jerry Garcia,David Grisman and Tony Rice. Also ran across a multi-channel recording of Bela Fleck that's cool, feels like you're right on stage with the band.
What is the name of the Bela Fleck recording? That could be pretty cool I imagine.

S

saeyedoc

Junior Audioholic
What is the name of the Bela Fleck recording? That could be pretty cool I imagine.
I'll have to look this weekend. It won't play in multi-channel through my squeezebox, I found it when browsing using a DLNA server through my Oppo before I had the SB set up.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis