B&W 802D: 3rd Time's a Charm on Friday the 13th

Natrix

Natrix

Junior Audioholic
If anyone is interested in other bluegrass, I suggest checking out the Steeldrivers. Excellent music with high quality recordings. I heard them on NPR a few years ago and have been listening ever since.

I also want to commend ADTG on his Dark Knight soundtrack recommendations in the High Quality recordings thread. I got all 3 of them and they're fascinating.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm listening to Goat Rodeo Sessions now. All I can say is, "WOW!" This is one high, high quality recording. Absolutely love it! Thanks for recommending this. My 802D2 thanks you. :D
No problem, there's a bluray too :D

T

toddt007

Audioholic Intern
I'm sure the Polk sounds great, but I'll pass. :D

Different strokes for different folks.

And I'm sure the new Revel speakers will be able to complete with any Polk speakers just fine. :cool:

My 3 favorite brands:
Man, those speakers are so damn pretty!!! :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I know. If my room were so much bigger, I would have gotten the 207/2, instead of all 201/2, and that would have been something really awesome. :D

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
I know. If my room were so much bigger, I would have gotten the 207/2, instead of all 201/2, and that would have been something really awesome. :D
Now that you've filled up your room, it's time to start buying headphones!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Of those, I would have hard time choicing between the KEF and the B&W but the best sounding one is out due to its average look (just me:D), unless it sounds exceptionally better than the other two but I doubt it.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I like it. :D

I cannot believe I am liking all this Bluegrass music. :eek: :D

Never thought I would. :D

Always been pop/ rock/ classical/ some jazz. Now Bluegrass.

Thank the lord for high quality music and speakers. :D
I was the same way until I heard Alison Krauss + Union Station Live.:)

IMHO she's has one of the best female voices I've ever heard.
Very well done engineering wise too.
Here's a link so you can see what the cover looks like:
BARNES & NOBLE | Alison Krauss + Union Station Live by Rounder / Umgd, Alison Krauss | DVD

Matt34

Matt34

I was the same way until I heard Alison Krauss + Union Station Live.:)

IMHO she's has one of the best female voices I've ever heard.
Very well done engineering wise too.
Here's a link so you can see what the cover looks like:
BARNES & NOBLE | Alison Krauss + Union Station Live by Rounder / Umgd, Alison Krauss | DVD
Even better yet, seeing her perform in person.;)

One of my favorites recordings from her (the duet with James Taylor is worth the price by itself):

Amazon.com: A Hundred Miles Or More: Live From the Tracking Room: Abraham Laboriel, John Waite, John Hobbs, James Taylor, Alison Krauss, Tony Rice, Jerry Douglas, Brad Paisley, Dan Tyminski, Ron Block, Union Station, Barry Bales, Stuart Duncan, Gordo

BTW: Really enjoying the Goat Rodeo Sessions so far.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Of those, I would have hard time choicing between the KEF and the B&W but the best sounding one is out due to its average look (just me:D), unless it sounds exceptionally better than the other two but I doubt it.
In terms of looks, I think the B&W is #1 & KEF is #2.

If it were a DBT, I would have a hard time picking a unanimous winner in terms of SQ, assuming the 201/2 sounds like the midrange & treble of the 207/2.

If I ever get my new house, I would probably try to sell 2 of my 201/2 and get the 207/2. Of course, I would get the cherry piano gloss, not the satin in that picture. :D

I know everyone frowns on having 3 speakers side by side, but it just looks so darn awesome seeing those 3 side by side. :D

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
allison krauss is right at the top of any female vocalist (not just bluegrass) but personally i like the other goddess of bluegrass more, gillian welch. hell among the yearlings is a good starting point, and a great reference disk to show off your speakers. not your mother's bluegrass singer - instead of singing church songs the first song on this cd is about a woman being raped (she slashes the guy's throat with a whiskey bottle and he bleeds to death on top of her). :cool:

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
the first song on this cd is about a woman being raped (she slashes the guy's throat with a whiskey bottle and he bleeds to death on top of her). :cool:
That sounds like a real toe tapper. :D
I'll have to check her out.

ratso

ratso

Full Audioholic
gillian: "Don't you have any happy love songs?' Well, as a matter of fact, I don't. I've got songs about orphans and morphine addicts."

my kinda girl.

T

toddt007

Audioholic Intern
Even better yet, seeing her perform in person.;)

One of my favorites recordings from her (the duet with James Taylor is worth the price by itself):

Amazon.com: A Hundred Miles Or More: Live From the Tracking Room: Abraham Laboriel, John Waite, John Hobbs, James Taylor, Alison Krauss, Tony Rice, Jerry Douglas, Brad Paisley, Dan Tyminski, Ron Block, Union Station, Barry Bales, Stuart Duncan, Gordo

BTW: Really enjoying the Goat Rodeo Sessions so far.
A hundred miles or more is definatly a great recording!!! One of my favorites! :) And "Whiskey Lullaby" with Brad Paisley is a good one to show off male and female vocals!!!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I haven't heard all from Alison Krauss, Gillian Welch, & Steeldrivers. Just a few songs.

I heard mainly Goat Rodeo Sessions, Sarah Jarosz, Sierra Hull, and Wailin' Jennys.

It seems to me like Krauss, Welch, and Steeldrivers are more "Country" than Jarosz, Hull, and Jennys? :D

Or do you consider them all equally Bluegrass?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Translation: "We dropped someone else's speakers today." :eek: :D
I found out last Friday from one of the sales guys that they fired the guy who dropped my 802D. I'm thinking this wasn't the first time?:eek:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis