KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Got maybe 3" here in total. I have no problem with this, shoveled my lifetime's worth of the stuff long ago. The 3" is just about the break-even point for getting the snowblower out to dispense with what little there is, and I'll be done in under an hour.

All is good. No issues with power loss either, which is always good.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
We got 26 inches here. 2nd biggest one we've had here in NYC.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
When it's over is it really over ?? Only 22 degrees out there but not a cloud in the pure blue sky heck not even a chem trail yet !! Be Safe and thanks for the snow shares.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
The atlantic is still mad , huge swells off Cape May Beach ^^^

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You need one of these!

I can pile the snow 14' high.

Just the ticket for snow falls.
I snapped a pic of the tractor that my dad just sold. The buyer had not picked it up yet. These are work horses!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I put my collection of Belgian block in the back of the truck the other night.
A little extra weight in the back always helps in the snow.
I got the weight thing covered. My 4WD failed to engage. It's always been temperamental about engaging and disengaging. I'll try going in reverse as you suggested last year for disengaging it. There's a tranny shop up the road.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Was thinking of you yesterday. The News was showing some ugly pics of the South Jersey shore. Hope all goes well.
All is well thank you, a LOT of clean up and now without doubt more than enough work for all the local craftsmen to get things ready for Easter Vaca which is right around the corner already . It is gorgeous out there today cleanest looking skies I have seen for a while cold as all heck though.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Hey Fuzz, nice work, you'll sleep well tonight.:)
Doesn't your Condo Association take care of snow removal?
Or you couldn't wait... since you wanted the place to look nice for Adam and Doug?
As far as I know they only do the main roads, and they might do the main sidewalk. However, IIRC they only have a snowblower and the snow is wayyy too high for them to use it on the sidewalk.

I don't have a picture of it, but we shoveled all the way down our walkway, made a right turn shoveled the sidewalk all the way down to the mailbox on the corner, turned the corner and went to the end of the sidewalk, and then through the grass to our back door. We needed a path to get garbage cans out, plus we needed a path to get to our cars and then shoveled the cars out. Mostly we ended up doing this for the small percentage change there was an emergency and we needed to be able to get out. As an added benefit, being all shoveled out, the sun melted a lot of the snow on the sidewalks. Everyone else who waited until today didn't get shoveled out fast enough to get that added benefit.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I snapped a pic of the tractor that my dad just sold. The buyer had not picked it up yet. These are work horses!

Nice little Farmall F12. 16 HP made form 1932 to 1938. Still a lot of them round here. Not quite useful enough to be working tractors though any more.

My JD Model A is 1948, and 40 HP, but cranks out a peak of 63 HP. The hydraulics are also very useful. It pulls and pushed like an Ox. Those old two cylinder Waterloo engines produce enormous torque.

I did a major mechanical restoration of this 1953 Ford 500 for a local owner this last summer.

He bugged me for two years to do this, and I finally relented. Not many left to do this kind of work anymore.

It has a 41 HP Ford overhead valve Tiger engine. It made a gorgeous noise once I got it rewired and running.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Well I made it through the day, but limped to the finish. I shoveled for 4½ hours and only got two thirds done. I worked alone; wife is sick (bad cold) and she is tiny, 5'2". I don't expect much heavy labor from her. First I did the steps between the back door and my separate garage – probably less than an hours work.

Next, I did the pavement between the garage and the alley behind it. The garage is two cars wide, and pavement between the garage and the alley is about 10-15 feet, although that's a guess. Doesn't sound like much does it? Wind had blown the snow into a 5 foot tall ridge (I measured it!) the full width of the garage. That ridge, and it's wide base, covered the entire part that I have to shovel. It was a lot deeper than the 3 feet we got. It took me the rest of the day. The home owners' association contractor who is supposed to plow the alleys never came. Considering the monthly fees I pay, I am certain someone is getting yelled at tomorrow – and not by just me. Every neighbor who was out there was steamed.

By then it was about 4 pm and I was toast. I never did get to the front steps and sidewalk. That's for tomorrow. I took 2 ibuprofen tablets and hit the shower, as I was soaked with sweat. I'll have sore shoulders and back tomorrow for sure, but my arthritic hands are already complaining. I'm getting too old for this!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well I made it through the day, but limped to the finish. I shoveled for 4½ hours and only got two thirds done. I worked alone; wife is sick (bad cold) and she is tiny, 5'2". I don't expect much heavy labor from her. First I did the steps between the back door and my separate garage – probably less than an hours work.

Next, I did the pavement between the garage and the alley behind it. The garage is two cars wide, and pavement between the garage and the alley is about 10-15 feet, although that's a guess. Doesn't sound like much does it? Wind had blown the snow into a 5 foot tall ridge (I measured it!) the full width of the garage. That ridge, and it's wide base, covered the entire part that I have to shovel. It was a lot deeper than the 3 feet we got. It took me the rest of the day. The home owners' association contractor who is supposed to plow the alleys never came. Considering the monthly fees I pay, I am certain someone is getting yelled at tomorrow – and not by just me. Every neighbor who was out there was steamed.

By then it was about 4 pm and I was toast. I never did get to the front steps and sidewalk. That's for tomorrow. I took 2 ibuprofen tablets and hit the shower, as I was soaked with sweat. I'll have sore shoulders and back tomorrow for sure, but my arthritic hands are already complaining. I'm getting too old for this!
I hear ya. The pathways we did came out to about 100ishft by about 3ft wide, plus the cars. The GF and I were hobbling around today like we just went 10 rounds with Tyson.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I hear ya. The pathways we did came out to about 100ishft by about 3ft wide, plus the cars. The GF and I were hobbling around today like we just went 10 rounds with Tyson.
Having company while shoveling is always good. Even though those drifts are probably the deepest pile of snow I've ever done (or care to remember), it's good to be reminded that I do have a garage, and our cars were inside it.

Montgomery County schools are closed tomorrow. My wife just came in to say MedImmune (where she works) is also closed. I still have a lot of shoveling to do tomorrow, so I'll be "tele-working from home".

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Having company while shoveling is always good. Even though those drifts are probably the deepest pile of snow I've ever done (or care to remember), it's good to be reminded that I do have a garage, and our cars were inside it.

Montgomery County schools are closed tomorrow. My wife just came in to say MedImmune (where she works) is also closed. I still have a lot of shoveling to do tomorrow, so I'll be "tele-working from home".
Very true. I was up early both days shoveling before pretty much anyone else was up. Being out there alone wasn't very motivating. That's one of our biggest wants for when we buy, a garage. Although I guess that means I'll have to find another place for my future workshop. Lay down a slab and build a custom shed on it? Yes.

We got the call around 12:30 that we're closed tomorrow. We'll see how things go, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a delay on Tuesday as well. I really don't want that, but it wouldn't surprise me.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
It's a big snowstorm.

The blonde is listening to the radio and hears "Due to the heavy snowfall and our plowing the streets, park your cars on the even numbered side of the street." She says to her husband "I'm going to move the car." And she does.

The snow continues.

The next day she hears "Due to the heavy snowfall and our plowing the streets, park your cars on the odd numbered side of the street." She says to her husband "I'm going to move the car." And she does.

Still, the snow continues for the third day.

The next day she hears "Due to the heavy snowfall and our plowing the streets, park your cars on the..." and the radio goes silent.

She says to her husband "The station went off the air. How do I know where to park the car?

Her husband looks up from reading his newspaper and says "Why don't you just leave it in the garage?"

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

I gave up shoveling many years ago.

I bought this tractor and used blower in 1981, and used it extensively in Grand Forks, especially when we had 96" in 1996/1997 winter.

I rebuilt the blower once and wore it out again. JD stopped parts support for it, but I found a good newer used blower about six or seven years ago. I still have that tractor and use it for mowing and blowing snow where the bigger tractors can not get. I clear the lower forecourt here with it every snowfall.

The JD model A can stack a heck of a snow bank. I don't want to shovel this.

The big 8' snow bucket can also carry down over a week's supply of wood for the fireplace.

To be fair to the condo contractor, he can't be everywhere at once. With a big fall like you just had it will take a while to get to all the accounts.

A big snowfall even with a lot of mechanization still takes a while to clear. I usually spend about 6 hours on the model A and the JD 214 after a good snowfall to clear the road, my place and a couple of neighbors.

I can tell you one thing though, I would far rather maintain and fix machinery than shovel snow!

I would just be patient and wait for the snow removal service. They will get to you in the end.

We have this problem at Eagan after very big snowfalls. You just have to be patient.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Had some fun watching things unfold on my road today. Around 3, a truck got stuck smack dab in the middle of the road right in front of my next door neighbor. The guy spent about an hour trying everything he could to break free, to no avail. Eventually he abandoned all hope and just left the truck to to sit there.

Now during the daylight hours, people could see the roadblock before getting into trouble themselves. At nightfall, naturally visibility is reduced, so the likelihood of someone else getting themselves into a pickle goes up. Enter man in a BMW rolling down the road. He tries to make a 3 point turn using my other neighbors driveway, and gets himself stuck.

So at this point, it looks like my street is blocked on both sides of me. Fortunately for guy #2, the first gentleman returns at just the right time with a better equipped friend, who pulls both vehicles loose with his truck.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis