Autumn 2023 TV Advice

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I’m going to add one last pro of the C3. Mentioned in the B3 vs C3 article is the C3’s evo panel. More than added brightness, the evo panel is designed for longer life of the TV.

Some C1 TVs were equipped with the evo panel. Luckily, mine was as well. While not adding additional brightness such as that in the G1 without a service menu tweak that LG quickly nixed, it is an improved panel.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Getting itchy!
The major retailers just dropped another hundy off the Sony X93L. It and the LG C3 are just sitting there at ~$1600.

I've never been so eager to charge about 1700 to a card!
(OK, except for just upgrading my computer, but that is on payment plan with deferred interest so that hardly counts (Love Apple!). And I built my audio rig with cash...)

Anyway, there is a seller on Amazon that has the C3 already at 30% off retail, but I got bit hard when I bought my Dell Monitor from such a shop and it was DOA. The policy was to not issue the refund for almost 30days after getting the monitor back!

I would prefer not having a TV shipped like that through UPS or FedEx :oops: ! Though I would love to see the video of the Forklift Polo match using somebody else's large TV! :p So I'll be watching Best Buy and Costco for the deal I'm hoping for.

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
Getting itchy!
The major retailers just dropped another hundy off the Sony X93L. It and the LG C3 are just sitting there at ~$1600.

I've never been so eager to charge about 1700 to a card!
(OK, except for just upgrading my computer, but that is on payment plan with deferred interest so that hardly counts (Love Apple!). And I built my audio rig with cash...)

Anyway, there is a seller on Amazon that has the C3 already at 30% off retail, but I got bit hard when I bought my Dell Monitor from such a shop and it was DOA. The policy was to not issue the refund for almost 30days after getting the monitor back!

I would prefer not having a TV shipped like that through UPS or FedEx :oops: ! Though I would love to see the video of the Forklift Polo match using somebody else's large TV! :p So I'll be watching Best Buy and Costco for the deal I'm hoping for.
Yes, they are on sale at really good prices too. Sony has their 65 A80L going for 1699! that's the lowest price I have seen on those. Like another comment stated LG makes All of the OLED panels.

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
@ryanosaur Like you, I really don't want an OLED shipped. But I want a better return window than what BB has. 14 days return window isn't really enough time to evaluate. But with that said BestBuy opens up the box to Inspect the TV before you take it home for any damages.
I've had only one issue with returning a 65 tv and that was with Amazon. UPS picked it up and 4 days later it was at a Amazon dock.

Took over 30 days to get my refund because someone at the dock didn't Scan the box so said.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@ryanosaur Like you, I really don't want an OLED shipped. But I want a better return window than what BB has. 14 days return window isn't really enough time to evaluate. But with that said BestBuy opens up the box to Inspect the TV before you take it home for any damages.
I've had only one issue with returning a 65 tv and that was with Amazon. UPS picked it up and 4 days later it was at a Amazon dock.

Took over 30 days to get my refund because someone at the dock didn't Scan the box so said.
When I ordered my Subs, I had made a point to make friends with my FedEx driver. He even called me to tell me he had them on the truck and make certain I could be available to get them! ;)
Obviously, he doesn't control the path they took from Oregon to my door, but that was a good experience nonetheless.

Too much can go wrong with a box which one person alone can't really handle. 50# is nothing, but that size is simply too clumsy to handle.

And USPS gets p!ssy and throws a tantrum every month when our cat food gets delivered! and that's an easy lift. :p

Anybody remember the photo Danzilla posted of his JBL 698 tower? :eek: Half the box was gone and the Cabinet was dinged up pretty good. *shrugs

Perhaps I have trust issues.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The Value Electronics Shootout results...

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
When I ordered my Subs, I had made a point to make friends with my FedEx driver. He even called me to tell me he had them on the truck and make certain I could be available to get them! ;)
Obviously, he doesn't control the path they took from Oregon to my door, but that was a good experience nonetheless.

Too much can go wrong with a box which one person alone can't really handle. 50# is nothing, but that size is simply too clumsy to handle.

And USPS gets p!ssy and throws a tantrum every month when our cat food gets delivered! and that's an easy lift. :p

Anybody remember the photo Danzilla posted of his JBL 698 tower? :eek: Half the box was gone and the Cabinet was dinged up pretty good. *shrugs

Perhaps I have trust issues.
I been Itching for a OLED also, I have a 65 QD-LED, I want NO Banding, No Halo effects,. Once you know what to look for there's no unnoticing it.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
There are amazing TVs at every price point. For the posted budget here, the LG C3 65" is the way to go. Do not hook up a PS5 and Mac mini M2 Pro, which both support 4K @120Hz by the way, to anything but an OLED TV. Get to Costco and load one up, now!;)

As far as banding goes, that is going to have more to do with the source content, service app and source device used for delivery more than the TV panel. I've experienced banding on the C1 here and there. But, not quite dark enough blacks, blooming effects from backlights and off center degraded picture quality are non issues with OLED TVs.

The LG TVs support the Apple TV app. So, the Apple TV+ service and content are available in Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos via the LG app. Movies and TV shows purchased from Apple are also available in the app under the library section when signed in with Apple ID. So, an Apple TV 4K will not be necessary for the Apple TV+ service or movies and shows purchased from iTunes. But, the LG TV Apple Music app does not support Dolby Atmos. The only device that supports Dolby Atmos tracks in the Apple Music app over HDMI is the Apple TV 4K.

The LG TV Smart apps will bitstream lossy Atmos/DD+ signals from streaming services rather than output them as LPCM using Dolby MAT for Atmos metadata delivery like the Apple TV 4K. This uses less bandwidth and will work over ARC without the TV having to do any re-encoding of audio because eARC is not supported or not working properly in the receiving end like it has to do with a directly connected Apple TV 4K or any other device transmitting multichannel uncompressed PCM.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Get to Costco and load one up, now!;)
Gonna wait. I know these prices will come down. Costco website says that price is effective through 11/19.
While they offer an effectively free 3 yr extended warranty, I really don't usually pay for those and would rather save the loot for something else. Or maybe the discount will still include the protection plan bundle! :D

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Costco’s protection plan is $99.99 and a credit of $100 is actually immediately taken off of the receipt upon purchase of the TV. This effectively gives you the added coverage for free while also taking a penny off of the price of the TV.

Costco will adjust purchase price up to 30 days after purchase if the item’s price is lowered but does not price match other sellers. They get around price matching as Costco models have their own model number. The TV can be returned to Costco for any reason for up to 90 days after purchase.

Anybody using a credit card should check any rewards programs they may have as they can save money on selected purchases. Chase is currently offering 5% rewards on certain member warehouse purchases. These rewards are basically cash back rebates that can be directly deposited into a checking account.
IMG_4291.jpeg

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Seriously, isn’t enjoying that TV right now worth an extra $100 bucks? It may go down, but if so, the price can be adjusted if within 30 days. I could have saved a $100 bucks. I regret nothing.:D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Costco’s protection plan is $99.99 and a credit of $100 is actually immediately taken off of the receipt upon purchase of the TV. This effectively gives you the added coverage for free while also taking a penny off of the price of the TV.

Costco will adjust purchase price up to 30 days after purchase if the item’s price is lowered but does not price match other sellers. They get around price matching as Costco models have their own model number. The TV can be returned to Costco for any reason for up to 90 days after purchase.

Anybody using a credit card should check any rewards programs they may have as they can save money on selected purchases. Chase is currently offering 5% rewards on certain member warehouse purchases. These rewards are basically cash back rebates that can be directly deposited into a checking account.
View attachment 63927
I checked most of that out, already.
One of my cards had a Best Buy cash-back offer running that would effectively just credit 5% the purchase back to the card. That's what I did for my Dell monitor, too, but different card. :)

I'm hoping one of my accounts comes correct with another partner deal like that when trigger time occurs!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I didn’t want my TV shipped or delivered and went off to Costco in a big cargo van.:D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Seriously, isn’t enjoying that TV right now worth an extra $100 bucks? It may go down, but if so, the price can be adjusted if within 30 days. I could have saved a $100 bucks. I regret nothing.:D
I just spent that hundy on some hardware to mount my Atmos Speakers!

Daddy Warbucks I ain't, Dawg!
:p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis