Autumn 2023 TV Advice

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Just posted this and saw this thread:
Walmart sells good stands and often cheap and well made
If it were the C2, I might consider it. This is a long-haul purchase which I'm hoping will take me 7-10 years down the road. *fingers crossed
Always shopping smart, but looking for the best tech I can get in this case. :)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
If it were the C2, I might consider it. This is a long-haul purchase which I'm hoping will take me 7-10 years down the road. *fingers crossed
Always shopping smart, but looking for the best tech I can get in this case. :)
Yep just thought I'd throw it in because of all the raves on here when it came out. I'd love a C1, but I'm so happy with my 65 Vizio deep blacks and stunning colors that I got like 2 and half years ago. If I had room damn love to get that C1:eek:OLED or their 4K laser projector (Expensive).

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Image retention can occur with really bright logos or boxes left on screen. It lasts moments. I've gamed for hours at a time without any burn in on my C1 after about 5,000 hours of use. I use it for web browsing, gaming and TV and Movie watching every single day. It is a beautiful monitor for my Mac mini M1.
You may have noticed that Rtings has been updating their Longevity and Burn-In test.

The issues with temporary image retention (vs permanent burn-in) were a bit of a surprise to me.

>>>We've learned a lot about image retention and burn-in over the last ten months. Almost all of our OLEDs show signs of image retention, and a lot of it is permanent burn-in, especially on the older generation panels like the LG CX OLED and the Sony A8H. Interestingly, a lot of what we thought was permanent burn-in isn't and is actually temporary image retention caused by TFT threshold voltage shift.<<<(emphasis added)

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/longevity-results-after-10-months

Some of the LCD TVs have developed severe uniformity problems. From Rtings:

>>>Most of the TVs on this test have been running for about 6,000 hours, and some of the LCD TVs we're testing are also showing worsening uniformity issues. It's especially noticeable on the Insignia F50 QLED, the LG NANO90 2021, and the Samsung TU8000, which are all rapidly degrading, but a few other TVs also show severe uniformity issues that are changing over time. These uniformity issues aren't the same thing as burn-in, but in many cases, they're just as noticeable and distracting, if not worse.<<<

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Without the TVs side by side, you’d never know the C3 65” was anything less than amazing and the differences would not be drastic. If you want a more immersive experience, you must go bigger. Consider the percentages watching different aspect ratios.
IMG_4290.jpeg

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Randomly, the other big thing I will really need to do is prioritize racking my gear and getting it off the front wall. I've been planning this for a while but had little need to do so. Adding a bigger screen will really make me want to get my center channel lowered a little so I can drop the center line of the TV slightly.
Currently, the shelf my center sits on is 24" h and the top of the Speaker (upright BMR Monitor) is ~42". Bottom of TV is 42" which puts center-line at ~54" h.
This new TV will add another 8-9 " of height to my 49" display.
Getting my Center on an 18" stand will allow me to drop the Display height to something a little more reasonable for the size of the screen. As it stands, the 49 is situated so that my eyes are roughly in the bottom 5th of the screen. It is not uncomfortable for me, but I do wonder about how the bigger screen would feel if I kept the same height at bottom edge.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
There is a difference from the G3 sets to the C3 sets that may concern a few. The G3 includes an ATSC3.0 tuner while the C3 does not do so. LG recently announced that the current G and Z TVs will be the last LG TVs to include an ATSC3.0 tuner for the foreseeable future as a result of a patent issue. How many other manufacturers will follow suit remains to be seen.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
FWIW my Consumers Report arrived today, their top pick in 65', LG OLED65G3PUA, msrp $3300

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
What about Sony 65 A80L? From the list you have the Sony X93L or the LG C3. TCLGUY is 100% Correct anything other than a OLED is 2nd best. Go with the LG C3. OLED = Perfect blacks.
No banding, No halo effect just to mention a few. All LED TVs other than OLED will have Banding issues, Halo effects. Hisense TVs are buggy they also have Limited storage (ram). BestBuy has the LG OLED 65 B3 for 1299. Crutchfield has the same LG OLED 65 B3 TV for 1299 you get a 60 day return policy. It stacks up pretty good to the LG C3.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Have owned Sony, LG and Samsung and all were excellent and have lasted without issues. Now have a 60” Sony in the basement and 65” Samsung in the TV room. Would recommend the 65”. My TVs too big, said no man ever Lol.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So. here's a refined question...

Depending on sales, do I go 65" LG C3 for the size, or 55" LG G3 for the better TV?

For that to even be feasible, the G3 would have to come down pretty significantly; like 40% significant. ;) But the question remains, Screen Size and a slightly lower grade TV (still pretty exceptional, or go for the better TV if I can?
RynoDino! Hey brother. I have to basically agree with treb on this one. IMO, the size will
Make up for any disparities you may encounter. Get a spears and munsil calibration disk and I think you’d be super happy. I’ve never heard anyone say they wish they got the smaller one! In fact I consulted treb last year about this time for the same reason. He was full of great advice and ideas. Unfortunately it wasn’t the right time to move on to a new display. Every fall I think yes, this is the year lol. Maybe this time…
Get the big one. Move on!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
RynoDino! Hey brother. I have to basically agree with treb on this one. IMO, the size will
Make up for any disparities you may encounter. Get a spears and munsil calibration disk and I think you’d be super happy. I’ve never heard anyone say they wish they got the smaller one! In fact I consulted treb last year about this time for the same reason. He was full of great advice and ideas. Unfortunately it wasn’t the right time to move on to a new display. Every fall I think yes, this is the year lol. Maybe this time…
Get the big one. Move on!
Yup. Pretty much mostly eyeballing the 65” C3 now.

As I mentioned above, I now need to really focus on figuring some other stuff out. Not only do I need to move ahead with those d@mn subwoofers, figure out a rack solution for my electronics, I also have a need to strategize my computer station.

I like my back right corner for my electronics and building a new wall mount standing workstation that would fit on my left wall with a much smaller footprint than the current desk. That would likely be a little in front of my left surround and a Sub.
Oh yes, and I have a drafting table which is really no more than a cat platform…. (We call it the Cat-thedral because this is where they clearly dream of designing their architectural wonders, which if only they could build… :p ). That needs to go, perhaps being replaced with a more room friendly hutch or some such item, still allowing the beasties to nap in my window.

In other news, a very recent visit to the local independent hardware store has good quality North American 3/4” MDF sheets down to a post Covid low of ~$50 each. Sadly, Baltic Birch is still well over budget, but down to ~140 per 18mm x5x5’ sheet. (Which is only about double the pre-Covid price… MDF was mid 30s iirc.)
More importantly, the MDF is at least “affordable” now.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
So. here's a refined question...

Depending on sales, do I go 65" LG C3 for the size, or 55" LG G3 for the better TV?

For that to even be feasible, the G3 would have to come down pretty significantly; like 40% significant. ;) But the question remains, Screen Size and a slightly lower grade TV (still pretty exceptional, or go for the better TV if I can?
Personally, I'd go larger but this is subjective.

I like big bu . . . [edit] . . . screens, and I cannot lie.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You sure you can't make it? Our overnight lows are above freezing! :p

;)
Hell yeah id take that! We’ve been above average but just this week highs have peaked at about 30°. Below average but not much. Ugh… new 80” oled might help me forget!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I like big budget... screens, and I cannot lie.
Is that what you meant? Maybe I could get the 75" TCL on good sale. :p

Personally, I'd go larger but this is subjective.
Room size and Speaker placement trump everything else... that and what I'm willing to spend.

Of course if you want to donate a brand new high end 85" screen, I'll be very gracious in accepting it! ;)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My two humble cents:
1) I agree with OP on staying out of anything from Samsung. There has been nothing but disappointment from them for any electronics
2) I agree OLED (especially in a dark room) - is the best tech for the job. Even the best QLED doesn't come close in contrast, which is crucial for the best HT experience.
3) Afaik, only LG makes large OLED panels, and any OLED TV has LG-made panels. This is probably the worst-kept industry "secret."
4) While I can't deny facts in all previous points, it pains me to say it. Still, I've had nothing but bad experiences with LG-made electronics, as far as reliability goes, especially with cheaper models. YMMV.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
4) While I can't deny facts in all previous points, it pains me to say it. Still, I've had nothing but bad experiences with LG-made electronics, as far as reliability goes, especially with cheaper models. YMMV.
Just curious if that experience has included their TVs, and if so what level, please?

Again, this is just information at this point. ;) A quick search didn't turn up any issues or concerns with their TVs in general, but especially with the C series which I am looking at.

Thanks.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Just curious if that experience has included their TVs, and if so what level, please?

Again, this is just information at this point. ;) A quick search didn't turn up any issues or concerns with their TVs in general, but especially with the C series which I am looking at.

Thanks.
I could only offer anecdotal evidence: I used to own an LG 42" 720p plasma TV. It stopped working one day, and all explorer repair options were not fiscally feasible.
The other two examples come from mobile devices. My wife's Nexus 5 phone (made by LG), one-day WIFI simply stopped working no amount of in-depth troubleshooting fixed it. LG G4 phone - went into a boot loop and again nothing could be done there.
like I said, it's all personal experience, nothing more, but for home appliance Korean brands, LG and Samsungs are the least reliable and most expensive to repair

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis