Audioquest v. Monprice Comparison

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
Using a short cable may damage the internal cable and or put the connector at a stressed angle that could cause disconnects and or damage to the male/female connections components.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The HDMI specification allows 1 bit error every 8 seconds with a 1080p {1920x1080 pixels} @ 60 frames/second image.

At higher image resolutions that error rate would be found in fewer seconds (however long it takes to transmit 1 billion pixels). For example for a 4K display that would be maximum allowable error rate of 1 error every 2 seconds, and for an 8K display it would be no more than 1 error per half second.

HDMI cables must be as short as possible, but no shorter (ie no stretching of cable to reach your display; cables should be able to route without stress). So choose the length carefully by measurement. (An excellent means is to use string or small diameter rope and go from source to receptor, which will soft lay like a cable should, and then measure the string).

Always good practice with any cable, this has been found to be even more important with HDMI, as the connectors (both cable and component) have proven to be weak and prone to damage. Bit errors increase with HDMI cable length.

Do not listen to anyone who claims that HDMI is a digital signal or that "bits is bits". They are wrong. ALL digital transmission is via an analog signal that represents digital data. All digital data cable is subject to the same criteria that any analog signal is subject to, and can be damaged in the same ways. So handle gently, don't bend too tightly, and in general don't treat a digital cable like it owes you money and won't pay.

I know this site in general has a lot of Monoprice love and Audioquest hate, but I've never seen an Audioquest speaker cable made of Copper Clad Aluminum, like Monoprice's 12GA speaker cable is. So, buyer beware. There are many alternative suppliers of known good cable at reasonable prices, if that's what you are looking for.

I can't buy a Monoprice HDMI cable and cut it open, like I do with many commercial cables for my own personal reference, because Monoprice charges $50 shipping for any package, no matter how small, if you live outside the US. But my trust level of Monoprice has fallen a few notches; I would want to know what I am buying before I would recommend them in the future. Maybe someone here can do so and report back.
A lot of nonsense here. HDMI either works or doesn't. It's not a debate among anyone that knows how HDMI works. I will put the top Bluejeans HDMI cable up against any Audioquest cable (with or without battery). The only advantage Audioquest has is in aesthetics which I'm not really sure why that would matter since your cables are behind the equipment rack anyways. The audio theories Audioquest promotes as "Science' should be libel but sadly they fall under the radar of the FTC.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
wire is wire. whether it's manufactured by china, hungary, usa, nuns in black satin, perverts in prison, as long as it carries correct current at spec so what...? :confused:

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
My experience with Monoprice is that if you get lucky or "jiggle" the wire just right they are fine. (terrible terminations)

I have had no issue with Blue Jeans that I recall.

Audioquest looks best.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
The only advantage Audioquest has is in aesthetics which I'm not really sure why that would matter since your cables are behind the equipment rack anyways..
I am not sure why it wold not matter as we generally install them ourselves. I find the aesthetics important.

I try to buy cable that is in the same color family as the wall where the system is.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I am not sure why it wold not matter as we generally install them ourselves. I find the aesthetics important.

I try to buy cable that is in the same color family as the wall where the system is.
If you're willing to spend 10-100 times the price just to color coordinate your cables, you are more than welcome to. Just don't fool yourself into thinking you're improving performance with these expensive cables. You are not!

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
My experience with Monoprice is that if you get lucky or "jiggle" the wire just right they are fine. (terrible terminations)

Audioquest looks best.
I'm about 50/50 with monoprice, either they are good or they are terrible. Haven't bought blue jeans in a long time, but last I looked they seemed to go up in price, to the point it's cheaper to goto best buy, which I despise lol.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

Audioquest looks best.
I go with Blujeans for this reason. Their terminations are solid, proper strain relief, and good quality connectors and cable. All the stuff you want without any marketing BS. Are they pretty? No, but I don't spend a lot of time looking at my cables. Aesthetics can be important to some, but for a product like this I am not sure why. Build quality is a product thing though, not a performance one too. Performance wise I am not sure I'd be able to tell from Amazon Basics or Monoprice, but build quality is factor to me.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Another supplier that assembles good audio cables and also sells HDMI cables is Redco Audio which is based in Hartford, Ct. I have had a good experience with their cables which are cheaper than BJC's.
They custom make cable assemblies. They have an interesting website where you can choose among several good quality brands of cable and connectors, including Canare, Mogami and Gotham:

www.redco.com

Last edited:
eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
If you're willing to spend 10-100 times the price just to color coordinate your cables, you are more than welcome to.
You may want to tell this to the flock.

Every time I say this I am effectively nailed to the cross.

There is nothing wrong with buying wires that have nicer packaging and look better.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I go with Blujeans for this reason. Their terminations are solid, proper strain relief, and good quality connectors and cable. All the stuff you want without any marketing BS. Are they pretty? No, but I don't spend a lot of time looking at my cables. Aesthetics can be important to some, but for a product like this I am not sure why. Build quality is a product thing though, not a performance one too. Performance wise I am not sure I'd be able to tell from Amazon Basics or Monoprice, but build quality is factor to me.
agreed ......... it is amazing how cable discussions always seem to go into the 'hopper' !

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan

There is nothing wrong with buying wires that have nicer packaging and look better.
I get that, nothing wrong with 'looking good' but for the price differential in many cases it's pure stupidity, IMO. Besides , when I see some knucklehead claiming to 'tune his kit' with cables rather than apply proper room acoustical treatments / practices I wanna scream !

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Personally, I like the no-nonsense, almost industrial looks on the BJC.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Nice to have you back eljr, ever the martyr. Nicer packaging, eh? That matters?

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Redco makes and sells excellent, low cost cable (eg: 3' HDMI~HDMI, $13) as Verdinut points out.

Blue Jeans Cable has very high shipping costs to domestic USA addresses, your cable will cost you much more than other reasonable options. Probably more than the Audioquest cable at your local Best Buy.

Markertek will sell you a 3' HDMI 1.4 cable for $8 including shipping. I don't understand the Monoprice Chinese-made love in a forum overwhelmingly dominated by people who insist any reasonable quality cable is all that is needed and that you should not spend more than necessary. Yet $8 is too much?

As for HDMI, or any digital interface, being a simple Go/No Go transmission, I must respectfully disagree, as would, I am sure, every manufacturer whose products are reviewed at Audioholics.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Nothing wrong indeed. Some buy Rolex, others buy Timex. Both tells time accurately, maybe one moreso.
I have a Casio that I like for its features.

Hope the color on the cable matches the wall color. Must be a custom cable cover.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis