Audioquest v. Monprice Comparison

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
Would like to know if anyone has ever conducted a viewing comparison between one of the upper grades of Audioqest HDMIs and Monoprice brand HDMIs? I'm so sick of Best Buy's harping about Audioquest I would love to reference a test.

BTW, I'm a dedicated Monoprice user.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Would like to know if anyone has ever conducted a viewing comparison between one of the upper grades of Audioqest HDMIs and Monoprice brand HDMIs? I'm so sick of Best Buy's harping about Audioquest I would love to reference a test.

Accessories and extended warranties offer the highest profit margin for Best Buy. They're trying to push Audioquest cables on you for their own benefit, not for yours.

You might find this article helpful, as well as the others linked therein: https://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/truth-about-expensive-hdmi-cables

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Under 6ft, nobody would ever be able to tell a difference. I'd say until you reach maybe 25+ft nobody would be able to tell. Many places have tested Monster vs. no-name brand HDMI and found that under 6ft, there was zero difference. I don't see why AQ would be any different.

I've compared AQ to Bluejeans analog cables. I use Bluejeans now (and their HDMI also) :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Audioquest is more a sham type product than one of value. Stick to Monoprice, or Amazon Basics, if you want something a little more substantial try BlueJeansCable. Please don't support cable charlatans like Audioquest.

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
Thank you. Would replacing all current Monoprice Ultra Slim Certified 4K HDMI's with BlueJeans be of visible and audio advantage despite the expense? I've never looked into BlueJeanCables.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No unless you're having issues now. Cabling is generally not an upgrade path if it functions properly, particularly digital cables.....aesthetically maybe. Find better ways to spend your money. If the gear is working then buy more content to enjoy it with...

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

I seriously doubt there is such a test properly conducted under bias controlled protocols. No real need to do it.

Calvert

Calvert

Audioholic
No unless you're having issues now. Cabling is generally not an upgrade path if it functions properly, particularly digital cables.....aesthetically maybe. Find better ways to spend your money. If the gear is working then buy more content to enjoy it with...
Thank you.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

HDMI either works or doesn't. Either you get a clear picture with no drop outs and no sparkles or you don't. There is no in between or partial loss of resolution.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
HDMI either works or doesn't. Either you get a clear picture with no drop outs and no sparkles or you don't. There is no in between or partial loss of resolution.
You mean it won't get blacker blaks or brighter? Color improved to a 10 bit quality? ;) :D

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
The HDMI specification allows 1 bit error every 8 seconds with a 1080p {1920x1080 pixels} @ 60 frames/second image.

At higher image resolutions that error rate would be found in fewer seconds (however long it takes to transmit 1 billion pixels). For example for a 4K display that would be maximum allowable error rate of 1 error every 2 seconds, and for an 8K display it would be no more than 1 error per half second.

HDMI cables must be as short as possible, but no shorter (ie no stretching of cable to reach your display; cables should be able to route without stress). So choose the length carefully by measurement. (An excellent means is to use string or small diameter rope and go from source to receptor, which will soft lay like a cable should, and then measure the string).

Always good practice with any cable, this has been found to be even more important with HDMI, as the connectors (both cable and component) have proven to be weak and prone to damage. Bit errors increase with HDMI cable length.

Do not listen to anyone who claims that HDMI is a digital signal or that "bits is bits". They are wrong. ALL digital transmission is via an analog signal that represents digital data. All digital data cable is subject to the same criteria that any analog signal is subject to, and can be damaged in the same ways. So handle gently, don't bend too tightly, and in general don't treat a digital cable like it owes you money and won't pay.

I know this site in general has a lot of Monoprice love and Audioquest hate, but I've never seen an Audioquest speaker cable made of Copper Clad Aluminum, like Monoprice's 12GA speaker cable is. So, buyer beware. There are many alternative suppliers of known good cable at reasonable prices, if that's what you are looking for.

I can't buy a Monoprice HDMI cable and cut it open, like I do with many commercial cables for my own personal reference, because Monoprice charges $50 shipping for any package, no matter how small, if you live outside the US. But my trust level of Monoprice has fallen a few notches; I would want to know what I am buying before I would recommend them in the future. Maybe someone here can do so and report back.

Last edited:
Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief

Unfortunately, that would require some pretty significant investments in test equipment. However, if you are game, you could buy one of each, and send them to amir, he will test them with what he has (Audio Precision Distortion Analyzer, some digital tools) for free. Ideally you would want a many-GHz digital oscilliscope or some other precision digital analyzer to view eye diagrams, but whaddya want for nothin' (my tech charges me $250/hr to run tests with his AP analyzer).

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/we-measure-audio-equipment-for-free.1995/

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
I'd put money that one cable could be better than another, however, I'll repeat, however, I don't think in a real life scenario we as humans could tell the difference, yes test equipment could in theory, but again testing equipment would be more accurate in reception over the human eye or ear.
My biggest gripe with 'cheap' cables is the terminations becoming loose or not installed correctly especially with cat cables and hdmi. By no means am i saying spend hundreds on cables but you can also get what you pay for on the bottom end as well. Reliable manufactures are key.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
HDMI's connection interface is just one of the several downsides of hdmi....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis