Audioholics Ultimate Subwoofer Shootout Planned

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
FWIW...here is my return email from Funkywaves...

Bill,

Thanks for showing me that. Depending on the test details and time frame, we would very much be interested in that sort of testing.

Thanks

Nathan Funk
Funkids Ent.
Div; Funky Waves Audio
Phone; 604-865-0550
Fax; 604-885-5378
www.funkywaves.net

A big thanks Matt!
This is one of (or is?) the most heavily trafficked audio website and forum. This would be very good exposure for this company.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Under $3,000? Wouldn't that rule out even a JL F113? Plenty of people actually purchase JL subs, so I don't really agree with the whole under $3k statement, especially since many people will purchase some of the more expensive subs used for much less than their MSRP.
JL Audio hasn't been very responsive lately so I am not counting them in. I am also not going out of my way begging companies to send product for FREE press on the industry's largest audited home theater publication. Rythmik Subs seems interested so if they commit to sending product, we've got 3/5 products already nailed. I will email Funkywaves.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
JL Audio hasn't been very responsive lately so I am not counting them in. I am also not going out of my way begging companies to send product for FREE press on the industry's largest audited home theater publication. Rythmik Subs seems interested so if they commit to sending product, we've got 3/5 products already nailed. I will email Funkywaves.
make sure to get the biggest rythmik model! :)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
make sure to get the biggest rythmik model!
Actually it will be I think. The FV15HP looks like a really nice sub!

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
are any Epik subs being tested in this shootout?

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
This is one of (or is?) the most heavily trafficked audio website and forum. This would be very good exposure for this company.
Yeah, it certainly is...and I'm sure it would be great exposure for them:). Fwiw...I knew of his work from HTS and opted to use him because he offers a viable option opposed to the usual mfg's often mentioned on forums or here in Canada.:)

I hope he takes Gene up on that offer...shipping from BC to California should be fairly quick and easy.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Looks like Rythmik subs wants to play:
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/products.html

They make some very impressive designs and I've heard so much good stuff about the quality of their products from industry professionals and competitors recently. I don't know why they've been below my radar screen for so long but hopefully that's about to change!

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, it certainly is...and I'm sure it would be great exposure for them:). Fwiw...I knew of his work from HTS and opted to use him because he offers a viable option opposed to the usual mfg's often mentioned on forums or here in Canada.:)

I hope he takes Gene up on that offer...shipping from BC to California should be fairly quick and easy.
Being up in Canada, there is not a lot of quality, affordable subwoofers compared to the US. Basically brick and mortar, sonic boom (SVS) and Axiom Audio (just the top of my mind). All the other big names you have to deal with premiums on shipping and border costs. It would be awesome if a small, niche shop like Funky Waves Audio would be able get some brand exposure to the masses and not just for DIY/custom enthusiasts with something like this.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Being up in Canada, there is not a lot of quality, affordable subwoofers compared to the US. Basically brick and mortar, sonic boom (SVS) and Axiom Audio (just the top of my mind). All the other big names you have to deal with premiums on shipping and border costs. It would be awesome if a small, niche shop like Funky Waves Audio would be able get some brand exposure to the masses and not just for DIY/custom enthusiasts with something like this.
That is how I felt and I've inundated him with Emails, now I'm keeping my fingers crossed! :eek::)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hey Gene, have you contacted Elemental Designs or Tweakcity Audio? They have finished subs which I think would be very competitive. You should really contact Mark Seaton too, if you haven't done so, the Submersive definitely deserves a place in a comparison like this, as I have heard nothing but praise for it.

As for the PB13, back in the day I think SVS would have been chomping at the bit to participate in a comparison like this, but nowadays the competition is much stronger for the around same price point. They just don't have as much to gain anymore in a shootout like this. I'm not saying the PB13 isn't a great sub, I would love to own one, but you have to admit there are other very compelling alternatives right now.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Hey Gene, have you contacted Elemental Designs or Tweakcity Audio? They have finished subs which I think would be very competitive. You should really contact Mark Seaton too, if you haven't done so, the Submersive definitely deserves a place in a comparison like this, as I have heard nothing but praise for it.

As for the PB13, back in the day I think SVS would have been chomping at the bit to participate in a comparison like this, but nowadays the competition is much stronger for the around same price point. They just don't have as much to gain anymore in a shootout like this. I'm not saying the PB13 isn't a great sub, I would love to own one, but you have to admit there are other very compelling alternatives right now.
Ah...you do know that the owner of TCA is banned from here....fwiw...;)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Ah...you do know that the owner of TCA is banned from here....fwiw...;)
Wow! I didn't know that! Ah well, his subs do look like a pretty good value. That's a shame. I know it's completely inappropriate to ask but.. why was he banned?

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Wow! I didn't know that! Ah well, his subs do look like a pretty good value. That's a shame. I know it's completely inappropriate to ask but.. why was he banned?
Because he asked why someone else was banned.

Joke! Just a joke!:eek:

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Call JL and ask for Ward, in technical support. He has been in the industry for a long time and may be able to yank on the right chains fro you.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
The PSB is an excellent suggestion. I emailed them. I definitely want to include at least one Canadian brand since Axiom declined and Paradigm hasn't responded.
Hmmm, I just looked at PSB's published specs and I can't say I'm impressed with the -3dB point at the bottom end - 27Hz. I guess they were aiming for output - 114dB @ 100Hz.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis