Audioholics Ultimate Subwoofer Shootout Planned

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
The Paradigm Sub 2 has yet to be released here in the States from what I have gathered...

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Also look at the top end of Funkywaves product line, this is a Canadian company that hasn't had nearly the exposure it deserves. They just came out with a new sub, the FW18.3, that looks like a fantastic cub, albeit not a cheap one. Their subs look just as good as any of the American internet direct sub companies, if not better.
I can attest to his abilities. I have one of his designs and know first hand what it's capable of coming from an SVS ported. His higher end builds are truly impresssive both in their looks but especially the quality of components he uses and for me what really mattered was he was excellent to deal with...fwiw.

Just my 2 cents...carry on...:D

Last edited:
T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Well I have to second the Danley DTS-10. I would love to see how it fairs against the others.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'd love to see any sub tested you can get your hands on. Make sure to include the max clean SPL metric which is very helpful. SVS has sealed subs coming out soon so you might give one of those a try.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I would love to see the DIY kappa perfect in the line up. Just to see where it stands in the line up...

Hmmm.... May need to get a sheet of MDF going. I already have the AMP and X-over.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Got to get Mark to send a Seaton Submersive.

Take Warp up on testing one of his too.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Take Warp up on testing one of his too.
It was more of a joke, :eek:;) I don't think I'll be shipping much less driving a 300lb sub across country, plus it doesn't fit into the criteria of being a commercial product...

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry, I thought it was the owner that weighed 300lbs...:eek:

It was more of a joke, :eek:;) I don't think I'll be shipping much less driving a 300lb sub across country, plus it doesn't fit into the criteria of being a commercial product...

Patrukas777

Patrukas777

Senior Audioholic
I can't wait to see the results. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the other bigs subs compare to the SVS Ultra.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I'd like to see how the JL Gotham stacks up, but I guess the Fathom 212 is good enough. I would also like to see the Def Tech Trinity and a DIY Kappa Perfect/12W6V2 build included.

dalumberjack

dalumberjack

Audioholic
Was the Terraform XL by Seaton Sound ever put into production?

If so, I think that should be on this list.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
It's more of a "made to order" sub I think.

It kind of scares me that the SVS is about the smallest contender on here and about the only one with a single driver. I never thought I would consider that beast a small sub...
Was the Terraform XL by Seaton Sound ever put into production?

If so, I think that should be on this list.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
It kind of scares me that the SVS is about the smallest contender on here and about the only one with a single driver. I never thought I would consider that beast a small sub...
SVS is almost always the largest sub in shootouts. Paul wants the biggest baddest subs he can get his hands on. I offered smaller/lighter, he said bring on the big. He's got a friggin forklift to move them!

We will see what actually comes to fruition, I fear many of these companies won't want the shipping expense. The EMP 1818 for example will cost about $1k for shipping both ways.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I hope that some DIY'er or custom builder will come and play...but I guess it would be asking a lot for them to absorb the cost out of pocket?

M

mardelgo

Junior Audioholic
I would love to see the DIY kappa perfect in the line up. Just to see where it stands in the line up...

Hmmm.... May need to get a sheet of MDF going. I already have the AMP and X-over.
Wow great idea, can be a great point of reference in how a well design DIY sub can perform, ( a design very popular in audioholics forum , I made 2...) I am really impress how this subs sounds, but not sure how they compare with the commercial big boys... specially in sound quality.. I hope someone can provide this diy sub for the test. I will be glad to, unfortunately I am located in Costa Rica…

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I hope that some DIY'er or custom builder will come and play...but I guess it would be asking a lot for them to absorb the cost out of pocket?
Not if they have already built it, and are recommending it shamelessly to others. Then it is only a question of shipping, and them parting with it for a time, and being willing to trust the testers with it. I would like to see someone who claims to have a great bang for the buck homemade unit put their sub to real testing and real comparisons with other units with which it is supposedly superior/competitive. After all, if there is no significant superiority for the price, then it is a bad value spending one's time making something when one could buy something ready made that is equally good for the money.

If their subwoofer turns out to be all that they claim it is, then this would give them bragging rights. But if they are just full of hot air, this should prove it, so I really doubt there are going to be very many who are willing to expose themselves to such a possible outcome. We will see if there are any volunteers for this.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis