Audioholics Ultimate Subwoofer Shootout Planned

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I am getting a lot of resistance from the few manufacturers I've contacted so far. Most companies don't want to be in a face off. Despite I told the companies that each product will get its own dedicated review with the results tabulated at the end.

They all fear product comparisons unless they are done in a glossy magazine that dedicates a total of 3-4k words for the entire article with no real measurements or analysis.

Crap in the future, I will just line up reviews and tabulate data in a separate article. :rolleyes:
Yep. It is that one word: shootout that makes them cautious IMO. The big hitters don't want the little ones to show favorably against them and it isn't entirely "fair" to have a wide variety of price classes in one article where people will inevitably draw conclusions regardless of price that can be percieved as negative. Sub A outperformed sub B, even though sub B is 4X the price; the connotation is still negative for sub A even if it performs excellently.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Well I sent an Email to Nathan@ Funkywaves and he could be interested...pending some deatils.... Without any DIY or Custom products then this is not an Ultimate shootout...jmo.
Thanks but I really prefer shipping finished products from manufacturers. This has to be something easily purchased by consumers.

As a side NOTE I am also welcoming participating manufacturers to submit what measurement aspects they would like included and any test methodologies or test signals they prefer. I am trying to make this as easy and open minded as possible.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks but I really prefer shipping finished products from manufacturers. This has to be something easily purchased by consumers.

As a side NOTE I am also welcoming participating manufacturers to submit what measurement aspects they would like included and any test methodologies or test signals they prefer. I am trying to make this as easy and open minded as possible.
Well aren't those guy's backing out...and fwiw mine was built in less then 4 weeks and I'm sure he has some others on hand;).

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I am getting a lot of resistance from the few manufacturers I've contacted so far. Most companies don't want to be in a face off. Despite I told the companies that each product will get its own dedicated review with the results tabulated at the end.

They all fear product comparisons unless they are done in a glossy magazine that dedicates a total of 3-4k words for the entire article with no real measurements or analysis.

Crap in the future, I will just line up reviews and tabulate data in a separate article. :rolleyes:
Like I said, as great as those subs are, they know they will get stomped on by less expensive subs out there. ED, Funkywaves, and TCA all look like they have subs that will be higher performers for less money. I don't blame the companies you contacted for chickening out. The PB13 and F212 are fairly common subs though, isn't there one nearby that you guys can just borrow? Also, referring to Ilka's measurements was a real cop-out. Is SVS losing faith in their flagship product?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Like I said, as great as those subs are, they know they will get stomped on by less expensive subs out there. ED, Funkywaves, and TCA all look like they have subs that will be higher performers for less money. I don't blame the companies you contacted for chickening out. The PB13 and F212 are fairly common subs though, isn't there one nearby that you guys can just borrow? Also, referring to Ilka's measurements was a real cop-out. Is SVS losing faith in their flagship product?
nothing personal. it's because of hype and claims like this that i bought ED myself.

maybe it's best if you try them all before you claim stuff like "they know they will get stomped on by less expensive subs out there (like ED)"

because i know for a fact that it ain't so.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Maybe they feel that those measurements suffice. I don't see it as a cop out at all. It's funny that the Ultra is the only single woofer sub in the test. Could be interpreted as "let's stomp the Ultra".

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
Any chance we will see Thor's Hammer involved in this? I would be shocked if a company like Wilson Audio allowed their products to be reviewed by objective experts.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
nothing personal. it's because of hype and claims like this that i bought ED myself.

maybe it's best if you try them all before you claim stuff like "they know they will get stomped on by less expensive subs out there (like ED)"

because i know for a fact that it ain't so.
Ahhh what are you saying here ? Theres more to bass then sheer output ?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Maybe they feel that those measurements suffice. I don't see it as a cop out at all. It's funny that the Ultra is the only single woofer sub in the test. Could be interpreted as "let's stomp the Ultra".
Actually I have a product from Klipsch that is a single driver. I enjoyed my exchange with SVS via email today. They convinced me I need to narrow the focus of the article to products people will actually purchase. Thus I am limiting the shootout to subs that are under $3k and under 6 ft^3.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Actually I have a product from Klipsch that is a single driver. I enjoyed my exchange with SVS via email today. They convinced me I need to narrow the focus of the article to products people will actually purchase. Thus I am limiting the shootout to subs that are under $3k and under 6 ft^3.
So, I guess the ElectroVoice 30W woofer isn't going to make the test, eh? Too bad- I'd like to see test results for those.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan

Looks like they all have cold feet and aren't terribly confident in their products. Disappointing.:(

Matt34

Matt34

Gene,

I think pursuing a Funkywaves.com product would be beneficial to our Canadian neighbors to see how they stack up to more mainstream subs that might be available here but either are cost prohibitive to ship up north or aren't available at all.

They do offer finished [plug and play] products.

http://www.funkywaves.net/catalog.cfm?item=fw_15_3

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
So are you saying SVS may be a player after all?

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Gene,

I think pursuing a Funkywaves.com product would be beneficial to our Canadian neighbors to see how they stack up to more mainstream subs that might be available here but either are cost prohibitive to ship up north or aren't available at all.

They do offer finished [plug and play] products.

http://www.funkywaves.net/catalog.cfm?item=fw_15_3

FWIW...here is my return email from Funkywaves...

Bill,

Thanks for showing me that. Depending on the test details and time frame, we would very much be interested in that sort of testing.

Thanks

Nathan Funk
Funkids Ent.
Div; Funky Waves Audio
Phone; 604-865-0550
Fax; 604-885-5378
www.funkywaves.net

A big thanks Matt!

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Under $3,000? Wouldn't that rule out even a JL F113? Plenty of people actually purchase JL subs, so I don't really agree with the whole under $3k statement, especially since many people will purchase some of the more expensive subs used for much less than their MSRP.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I fully understand why many don't want to play. Many of these subs have been tested several times by 3rd parties so they don't have anything else to prove, the data is out there for all to see. So at this point why would they go to the expense of shipping a sub and then having to sell it as "b" stock?
Looks like they all have cold feet and aren't terribly confident in their products. Disappointing.:(

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I am willing to pay 600 bucks for a F113 so does that make it under 3k?
Under $3,000? Wouldn't that rule out even a JL F113? Plenty of people actually purchase JL subs, so I don't really agree with the whole under $3k statement, especially since many people will purchase some of the more expensive subs used for much less than their MSRP.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis