Audioholics 2012 GTG Event: Live Demos, Meet & Greet, FREE Prizes Food & Drink

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I talked the EMP guy into selling me that 2-channel tiny tube/ss amp (they stopped making those a while ago); but ended up not pulling the trigger. Had some mid-sat events turn me away from a purchase.

itschris

itschris

I talked the EMP guy into selling me that 2-channel tiny tube/ss amp (they stopped making those a while ago); but ended up not pulling the trigger. Had some mid-sat events turn me away from a purchase.
You made a point to post about this already. You said you really didn't care anyway, so if that's true, what are you so upset about? Big deal... you didn't win a gift basket. There was no schedule. It was a free event where you could just come out see some cool gear, meet some new folks, and put faces with others you've talked with online. I don't see there being much to complain about. I don't think was supposed be like Cedia Expo 2012.

So you didn't buy something you went out of your way to ask for and were graciously given the option to do so... because....?

You're a good guy and offer a lot here most times. I know you're miffed, but if you had real concerns, don't air them on the board. Gene was totally accessable pretty much all day... you should have just brought it up with him or sent him a PM.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
itschris said:
You made a point to post about this already. You said you really didn't care anyway, so if that's true, what are you so upset about? Big deal... you didn't win a gift basket. There was no schedule. It was a free event where you could just come out see some cool gear, meet some new folks, and put faces with others you've talked with online. I don't see there being much to complain about. I don't think was supposed be like Cedia Expo 2012.

So you didn't buy something you went out of your way to ask for and were graciously given the option to do so... because....?

You're a good guy and offer a lot here most times. I know you're miffed, but if you had real concerns, don't air them on the board. Gene was totally accessable pretty much all day... you should have just brought it up with him or sent him a PM.
I was responding to FloridaBear's discussing of EMP to express what I found exciting about their display (which I went back-and-forth on pulling the trigger on for a while before not).

Though I certainly agree with FloridaBear that the speaker setup was impressive and quite a bargain; for me it was the little thing (that amp) that caught my attention. This is likely because I'm pretty content with my surround system but can just imagine that pretty little tube glowing on my computer desk and powering my computer speakers.

I'm sorry they don't make them any longer.

For Hsu, not surprisingly, I really liked their sub. Their bookshelves were very impressive with most sources; but some portion of the FR range (the sound of gunfire in "The Matrix") had a significant issue. I've heard gunfire in "the Matrix" repeatedly and it's usually pretty impactful. I suppose it also could have been the room.

Emotiva, once they cleaned up some problem with bass in the front of the room, showed that their speakers could clearly get the job done under difficult circumstances. Again, already having a solid speaker set for my theater, and having been so impressed with the audio performance of the Salk gear, I was mostly focused on their amps.

Honestly: I was most likely to walk away with a set of speaker cables (I want pretty ones darn-it), but the price was just too high for an aesthetic choice.

But based on your post: you want to discuss something else?

Pete6737

Pete6737

Enthusiast
Hello All,
I am relatively new to this forum. I found this event from Jim Salk. I was interested in his speakers.

First, I would like to commend the Audioholics staff that put this event together. My family and I enjoyed the event. Everyone was very nice and the food was great. We even won the Halloween theme door prize!

We drove from Jacksonville and it was well worth the trip. It was great to hear great sounding equipment, and I learned a lot. I even ordered a pair of Salk
SS8s. Keep up the great work promoting our hobby/ interests. Pete

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
It wasn't much as surprise for me that Salks stole the show with SS8, but what did surprise me is how good little single 1010 sub did in that little room.
Among other things which surprise me is HSU VTF-15H - this THING is a monster sized ... WOW, but it's top notch bass performance was expected and it delivered.

Unfortunately I was not as impressed by Emotiva demo (battleship) bass coming from dual corner load X-12 ref subs were just not sufficient (no tactile) for this large room, thou the X-ref speakers did a good job

Severtson Screens and Epson delivered top notch picture in all rooms

Thanks for AH staff to making this great event and wife surprising didn't complain - and that's probably one of best indicators she was interested :)

Too bad I met only few forum members, Doug I mentioned. Said hi to Majorlooser and saw Jerry for a distance...

Gene always was busy and had very serious look on him and I didn't a chance to [strike]bug him :)[/strike] to say Hi

Would I got next year? I don't know - the weather was disappointing - next time we should do it month earlier :)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene always was busy and had very serious look on him and I didn't a chance to bug him to say Hi
Darn it, I get that a lot from people. I should have cracked open that bottle of Red itschris brought for me to try out to lighten up a bit :D

Unfortunately we can't control the weather but my wife and I were actually thinking about doing the event at a beach location next year towards the beginning of November. Hosting the event end of October is too close to RMAF and I was unable to get a few key guest speakers since they all had commitments at AES which was happening the same weekend as our show.

In any event, we were very pleased with the turnout and as a result, next year we plan on expanding this event with:
  • two day showing
  • nicer hotel and preferably beach location (ie. Siesta Key, or Lido Beach)
  • more demo rooms (goal 8-10)
  • educational seminars
  • raffle with lots of home theater gear

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Where are the attendee pics?

Guys, where are your show pics?

We hired a photographer so we will be posting our coverage with plenty of images shortly. Clint and Andrew also did some video coverage. Stay tuned...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
How about a nice, warm location with no risk of hurricanes next year...like Tucson. :)

H

Hugh-Melody

Audioholic
Gene,

It was my pleasure to have finally met you and exchanged talks. :)

I will follow through with your suggestion(s).

Please also say thanks to your Boss...Casa Ludovico is magnifico.

Will talk soon.

PS: I'm now home while Tim is driving home still.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene,

Will talk soon.

Hugh;

It was awesome meeting you and Tim as well.

Two things we take very seriously around here are: audio and food :) Glad you liked the place. Been going there since it opened over a decade ago.

Safe travels to Tim and looking forward to working with you guys going forward.

Last edited:
TICA

TICA

Audioholics Accounts Manager
Thank you

Hello All,
I am relatively new to this forum. I found this event from Jim Salk. I was interested in his speakers.

First, I would like to commend the Audioholics staff that put this event together. My family and I enjoyed the event. Everyone was very nice and the food was great. We even won the Halloween theme door prize!

We drove from Jacksonville and it was well worth the trip. It was great to hear great sounding equipment, and I learned a lot. I even ordered a pair of Salk
SS8s. Keep up the great work promoting our hobby/ interests. Pete
It was a pleasure to do this for our fans. We're happy you all enjoyed it and even won. Your son was very nice and very proper too and great manners. It was nice to see him smile when you guys won! Hope to see you all at our next event in Florida!
;)

TICA

TICA

Thank you

Gene,

Will talk soon.

It was wonderful to meet you and Tim. I'm happy you enjoyed the food and had a great time. Anytime you guys are down this way and need recommendations, just give a call! Looking forward to next year :D

TICA

TICA

Next year no too far already

Hello everyone;

Once again, thanks to all that participated and to the ones that didn't' make it, hope to see you next year.

This time we're thinking of moving a little more south, about 1/2 -45 minutes from Tampa. We had a questionnaire going around and our top on the beach site locations will be looked at in the next few weeks. Needles to say, the two competitors are either Sarasota or St Petersburg.

Hope to see you all next year and looking forward. Give us your feedback, but so far Sarasota is winning.

:)

engtaz

engtaz

Full Audioholic
I had a great time. Nice to see the strong attendance this year. I had a great time.

Thanks for all the hard work and putting on Audioholics 2012 GTG.

M

Mytmauro

Audiophyte
First Off THANK YOU to the Audioholics staff!

I am pretty new to the board (more of a lurker than poster I guess). So my apologies for not meeting more of the staff. You guys and gals did a great job, my wife and I very much enjoyed the event!

My impressions were that the EMP was the most impressive demo. Maybe that is because I didn't expect to get floored by them and I totally was. The price/performance mix was by far the best. Great clarity, separation of instruments and very impressive on both music and theater. I went back 2x to their demo.

Next the HSU 15" Sub was incredible. It could move internal organs and not in a bad way - they demo'd the movies The Flight of the Phoenix and Master and Commander also with some organ music and it was awesome! You just felt their presence and they did not overwhelm the little monitors they ran - I thought the monitors sounded pretty good until I found out they were only $150 - then I was very impressed. As mentioned by someone else the Sub was very large - even with that my wife and I were thinking how could we make it work. It sounded really good.

Next for me the most impressive Salk speaker was the bookshelf. It's sounded amazing for it's size. The depth they achieved was pretty remarkable. Jim is a class guy too.

I thought Brad who demo'd the Apherion gear was super nice guy too. He demo'd a wireless solution similar to a Sonos sort of set up.

The Emo speaker demo was not very exciting, in my opinion, either for Theater or music. I think it might have been a bit of a room set up problem they had....but not sure. I have an XPA-5 and love that and I was interested in their Airmotive speaker but didn't get a chance to hear them. Also interested in seeing the new XMC-1 - that looks cool.

Really fun event and I look forward to attending in the future.

B

Broom1998

Audiophyte
Just replying to some complaints about the weather, just so people know this was unusual weather for this time of year and temperatures were below normal and the trailing winds and clouds from the large storm made for a sort of blustery day for Florida. Still a bad fall day in Florida is way better than a 40 degree day somewhere else. :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis