Audio Power Cables / Cords - Do they really make a difference?

Porschetech

Porschetech

Audioholic
Ok I just went out and bought an audioquest nrg-2 power cord. I connected it from my Panamax 5400 power conditioner straight to my pioneer elite plasma. I swear on my life I saw an improvement in my picture......both in quality and colours. How was this possible? Was my original skinny power not up to par? I'm impressed and in awe.

I'm sure there will be many doubters, but seeing is believing!!!

My setup

Pioneer elite plasma
Anthem statement D2
Anthem statement A5
Studio 100v3
Studio cc570v3
Studio 20v4
Denon 3800bdci
Arcam dv137
Apple TV 3rd gen

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Seeing may be believing, but measuring is truth.

Do you believe that the color improvement was caused by the florescent (or LED) bulbs in your TV sending out "better white" light, or by the three LCD layers in each pixel just getting opaque more?

Or does something special happen to LCD material when "better" power is being fed into the AC/DC converter?

When you can blind A/B: let me know.

I know people who swear by high octane gas in their low-compression cars without understanding what octane is or what it does or why high-performance engines often use it.

Porschetech

Porschetech

Audioholic
Seeing may be believing, but measuring is truth.

Do you believe that the color improvement was caused by the florescent (or LED) bulbs in your TV sending out "better white" light, or by the three LCD layers in each pixel just getting opaque more?

Or does something special happen to LCD material when "better" power is being fed into the AC/DC converter?

When you can blind A/B: let me know.

I know people who swear by high octane gas in their low-compression cars without understanding what octane is or what it does or why high-performance engines often use it.
I can't give you an answer as to why I saw an improvement. I just know it happened. I have a 3 yr old and a 5 month old......we've been watching the same film every night via my Apple TV. So that's how I know I saw something different

Perhaps the video processor in the D2 is acting up????

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

I'm sure there will be many doubters, but seeing is believing!!!

Well, then, I guess magic is reality? I see it, therefore I believe?
Unfortunately that is why so much snake oil products are sold. Like those balance bracelets? I see the person loosing balance without one and not with on on. I guess I should believe in its power?
Didn't David Copperfield make the shuttle disappear on stage? I guess I should believe, no?

Or, perhaps there is a simpler explanation, mind's trick???

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I love having the octane discussion.
Come on now. We all know putting some 93 octane gas in my Mazda 3 is going to turn it into a Mazdaspeed 3 :D

As a scientific test of the awesomeness of this trick, I drag raced a Corvette at a stoplight once, and blew his doors off. It was like he didn't even realize there was a race going on.

jinjuku

jinjuku

We can talk about theory all week but the bottom line is that in at least one case Nordost cables improved the sound of a stereo system. Try it or retreat into your hobbit hole if you wish. It's no big deal to me. If you can't afford them, I understand. They are not for everyone. My intended audience are discerning audiophiles that can afford nice cables. I'm not sure there are many of those here. That's too bad. Have a good night.
Ok, the P.E GTG is the 17th. If you want to still ship out the Nordost and the other power cable P.M.

Really curious.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Aw, cheezncrackers, guys.

Will somebody just drive a wooden stake into the heart of this thread once and for all and put it out of it's misery? :cool:

jinjuku

jinjuku

A room full of experienced and well seasoned speaker designers should do it...

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I have a Pangea power cord. I bought my BDP-95 used and the guy who sold it to me included it for free. I feel confident I could tow the space shuttle with it, but am not sure how it is supposed to improve the Oppo. Guess I'm just too stoopid :D

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I have a Pangea power cord. ... Guess I'm just too stoopid :D
For shame! I would have said, "Keep it!", and asked for a bigger discount on the Oppo. The Pangea cables are some of the silliest products in all of audiophiledom.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
For shame! I would have said, "Keep it!", and asked for a bigger discount on the Oppo. The Pangea cables are some of the silliest products in all of audiophiledom.
Actually I did, but no dice. So I decided to just take it and see what one looked like up close. Cool to look at and to swing around your head like a weapon, but a real pain to even attempt to use as a power cord.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Wow Fuzz,

really shocked to hear that man!

If you didn't see any improvements audio & video wise with the Pangea Snake in, I'l tell you then: please CHANGE the bloody Oppo :p;):)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Wow Fuzz,

really shocked to hear that man!

If you didn't see any improvements audio & video wise with the Pangea Snake in, I'l tell you then: please CHANGE the bloody Oppo :p;):)
That makes perfect sense. Alex, send the Oppo to me immediately! I wouldn't want you to have such a defective component in your system.

T

Tin Ear

Junior Audioholic
I have some Chinese made cables and they are fun and decorative .... kind of a cable management thing and they make the back of my rack look a little neater. I didn't really expect them to improve anything tho.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
There's something hilariously awesome about attaching a 3 foot length of 9 gauge cable to the end of a 50 foot piece of 14 gauge romex.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis