Audio Power Cables / Cords - Do they really make a difference?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
They don't filter the incoming AC voltage 99% of the time. Nor do they regulate voltage on the AC side.
You don't have to regulate on the AC side, just block damaging voltages.

The DC regulators, will maintain constant voltage over a wide range.

Modern power supplies keep the DC voltages within very tight limits, when combined with state of the art rectification and smoothing, ripple is totally insignificant. A power cord would not change ripple anyway.

The bottom line is that anyone who seriously thinks swapping any properly current rated power cord for a different one has bats in their bellfry.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
You don't have to regulate on the AC side, just block damaging voltages.

The DC regulators, will maintain constant voltage over a wide range.

Modern power supplies keep the DC voltages within very tight limits, when combined with state of the art rectification and smoothing, ripple is totally insignificant. A power cord would not change ripple anyway.

The bottom line is that anyone who seriously thinks swapping any properly current rated power cord for a different one has bats in their bellfry.
A Nikko Alpha III poweramp that I previously owned made a "kaboooom" sound every time the fridge turned on, if playing very loud this could be to the point that it could be a danger to the speakers, I'm not sure about this but nothing bad ever happened. At that time I did not use any power filtering mechanisms, but it clearly shows that there is unwanted residue on the power lines. How much and how it affects sound I cannot vouch for but it surely is a need to remove these things.

I never had a possibility to check this further as this amp is long gone by now and my current equipment never showed any of these things.

Probably a decent professional power surge protector will keep these things away, a $21k power cable will definitely not make any difference to this situation.

Perhaps I should have changed the power cable of the fridge to a Nordost power cable :D

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
...Perhaps I should have changed the power cable of the fridge to a Nordost power cable :D
Most definetely!!

Not only that, but could you imagine how better your microwave oven would perform with one of these power cords??:p;)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Were these blind tests? Just sayin....
you don't need a blind test as much as a way to instantly change out the cords which is nearly impossible. Audio memory sucks when dealing with subtle differences.

jinjuku

jinjuku

you don't need a blind test as much as a way to instantly change out the cords which is nearly impossible. Audio memory sucks when dealing with subtle differences.
Which, IMO, then it doesn't matter. If the difference is such that it is below the thresh hold of your ability to retain audible memory then just move on to the next thing that may make a difference that you DO maintain in audible memory.

The problem is that people use the term 'night and day difference'. That should be testable even after a 5 minute time out.

$1k or $21k on something that you may be only able to tell the difference reliably by the rapid switching out so your memory doesn't fade falls into the margin of error.

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
A Nikko Alpha III poweramp that I previously owned made a "kaboooom" sound every time the fridge turned on, if playing very loud this could be to the point that it could be a danger to the speakers, I'm not sure about this but nothing bad ever happened. At that time I did not use any power filtering mechanisms, but it clearly shows that there is unwanted residue on the power lines. How much and how it affects sound I cannot vouch for but it surely is a need to remove these things.

I never had a possibility to check this further as this amp is long gone by now and my current equipment never showed any of these things.

Probably a decent professional power surge protector will keep these things away, a $21k power cable will definitely not make any difference to this situation.

Perhaps I should have changed the power cable of the fridge to a Nordost power cable :D
My Emotiva amp that runs my rear channels makes a snapping sound every time the lights in the next room are turned off. And that is a after a power conditioner. lol.

C

Craigslist Joe

Audioholic Intern
Were these blind tests? Just sayin....
Yes. One was. I share an office with a guy that listens to my system everyday. I changed my power cord without telling him. He made a comment to me about it sounding better without me prompting him! And that was coming right off the wall (surge protector).

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
My local Hi-Fi dealer loaned me a PC to try out, no strings attached. Everyone who has heard my audio systems with and without the Vishnu PC agrees there is an improvement.
That's right up there with "my wife heard the improvement from the driveway".

Either that, of they are just humoring you. Hell, I'd say that just to shut you up myself.

jinjuku

jinjuku

That's right up there with "my wife heard the improvement from the driveway".

Either that, of they are just humoring you. Hell, I'd say that just to shut you up myself.
Cmon now... That wasn't called for Mark.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Everyone here can afford some politeness.
And I was. I was blunt, but polite about it. I just calls 'em like I sees 'em.

If I wanted to be rude, I would have just called him a troll outright.

jinjuku

jinjuku

What I would invite is a bit further questioning along the lines of maybe the original PC was problematic.

C

Craigslist Joe

Audioholic Intern
With all the here-say, unsubstantiated, hyperbole he's throwing down here, it's actually pretty mild, particularly for me.
I'm sure we've both read umpteen reviews in the stereophile rags about cables. Unless you're too smart and infalable for such things... The difference between me and you is that I have independently tested the equipment myself and can attest to its quality and performance. I was skeptical at first but I was pleasantly surprised. I'm not selling anything. I am trying to encourage others to get out there and try to find more audio bliss in technologies they may have not tried yet. And for that, anecdotes will suffice, thank you.

You, sir, are a pugnacious twit. You have not even put the product to the test. When you can speak from personal experience rather than what you read in one (completely biased) article, I'll gladly agree to disagree and leave it at that.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I have independently tested the equipment myself and can attest to its quality and performance.
That's simply nonsense. Swapping your power cable out for an expensive one and declaring "wow!" doesn't count as an independent test, nor does it qualify you to say anything about its performance.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I may be a pugnacious twit, but at least I don't spew forth lies.

When you post lies (yes LIES) that "everyone" heard the difference, then I know you're lying. Either you are or they are.

If "everyone" could hear these grandiose differences of which you brag, then these discussions would not need to take place.

Nobody argues that speakers sound different simply because they do. If power cords made such a significant difference, then nobody would have these arguments, would they.

Yes, you are a troll, but not man enough to admit you've been called out. Likewise, your trying to throw in red herrings such as power conditioners simply adds to that

Deal with it, Joe. I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
What I would invite is a bit further questioning along the lines of maybe the original PC was problematic.
He stated he repeated this test at least twice with different people with the same results. The odds of both PC's being defective are very high. The odds of it being pure BS are, well, let's just say, more in my favor.

Last edited:
Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Does anyone remember the exposé type show that had people rate food in different restaurants?
(Sorry I'm still checking to find it on YouTube)

The food was the same.
The only differences were the very casual vs. upscale settings.

The same people judged the same food, with vastly different results.
You guessed it...the upscale restaurant's food was perceived the best.
(The same thing was done with cheap vs. expensive wines)

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Reminds me of those recent commercial about Walmart steaks and Pizza Hut pasta being served in restaurants.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Hey Rick,

I kinda like your signature though:

" There's what people want to hear.
There's what they want to believe.
Then there's the truth ".

May I add a couple more?

" I refuse to prove that I exist, says God...
For proof denies faith and without faith, I'm nothing "

" In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory...
In religion, contrary evidence causes on to question the evidence "

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis