Are High End CD Players Overated?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Yo, idiot!

cool miles said:
You have indicated that Cd's are made to high standard.
Nobody ever said that. They CAN be made to high standards but too few bother. And, if I limited my listening to only those that sound great, I'd be missing out on too much great music.

Of course, if you're more into playing with the equipment as opposed to listening to the music, then that's another story. Most of use here look at our systems as a means to let us enjoy the music, not the other way around.

And, the differences are not as great as you would like to think. Pick up a crap CD (there's tons of 'em out there) and listen to it on the most expensive CD player in the world in a great system and it will still sound like crap. Likewise, play a well recorded CD on an inexpensive player in a great system and it will still sound great.

Last edited:
D

Dan Banquer

Full Audioholic
Are High End CD Players worth it?

I have looked over the past 10 pages of this thread with near total disgust. While Gene has addressed the room loudspeaker issue I am going to attempt to address other issues that directly pertain to this thread.
The major problem with consumer audio gear is that there is no standard for grounding. Therefore. as far as I am concerned, no meaningful DBT can be used. This has been demonstrated to me on a number of occaisons, as I have demonstrated on a number of occaisons. Early on in my involvement with audio I had the chance to observe the difference between a Denon CD player connected to a pre amp with and without a Jensen Line Level Audio Transformer. The noise floor drop and increase in dynamic range was blatantly obvious using the Jensen Transformer. This basic scenario was done again here:
"First, we played some music and listened to his system. You know... the usual. Then I hooked up my two units in his system. Wow! The noise floor fell so low that both of our jaws dropped. It was that blatantly obvious to the both of us. You could hear so much more of the music. Now mind you, this guy was a die-hard double-blind ABX adherent who kept saying that he heard no differences between records and CD's, and he was out to prove it. He invited me to bring back my D/A Converter for the ABX test but not the pre-amp. I'm sure the reason is because if we used my pre-amp, you would have clearly heard the differences between records and CD's. He also made sure to tell me as I was leaving, that I was not to tell anyone that his system was so noisy! Can you imagine what his pre-amp sounded like?"

The above is from my website and was written to once again to attempt to tell people that because I implement good grounding/shielding practices I can get these type of results.

Once again, I demonstrated to a business associate who was at the time developing small amplified loudspeakers to be used with a PC. I demonstrated my small plastic Boston Acoustic loudspeakers with and without a prototype pre amp. The difference was obvious becasue the prototype pre amp had some of those Jensen Line Level Transformers at the input. The business associate noted the difference and is now using line level isolation transformers at the input to the amplified speakers he is developing. Think about it, who in their right mind would want to directly connect some reasonably sensitive analog directly to the ground inside of a computer.

And again; in the write up I did for the Yamaha T-80, note the photos of the ground straps and note that I used isolated RCA plugs at the output.

The following is a post I put up on few consumer boards about a year ago. I got few comments, from the "intelligentsia". I would heartily suggest that all who have particapated on this thread think about what I have attempted to convey here.

GROUNDING PRACTICES IN CONSUMER AUDIO

As many of us have observed over the years grounding practices in consumer audio have for many of us been a frustrating experience. Compatibility/Synergy are consistently major issues, as well as safety, reducing ground loops, noise and interference. Designers are equally frustrated by this problem. Some of us wish it would go away and others attempt to deal with as best as we know how. There does not appear to be much of any standardization that I, and many others are aware of. Many of us who work in the electronics industry outside of audio who have observed the posts from audiophiles, designers and dealers scratch our heads in near disbelief.
The following is not only an outline for reducing these problems, but a wake up call to this end of the industry. The following is for the application to consumer unbalanced audio, and could well be a possible outline for positive discussion and direction. It is also a way to use Earth Ground to our advantage instead of a problem.
Chassis Grounding:
The following is a technique used in instrumentation for low frequency applications.
The chassis will be earth grounded via the earth ground at the three-prong outlet. The audio signal ground contained in the chassis is not connected to the chassis ground. This will require the design to be electrically isolated from the chassis ground which is easily solved by using nylon stand offs to mount pc boards and isolated bulkhead RCA jacks. (I am going to break this rule later on but bear with me for the moment). The above forces the design to be star grounded at the return of the power supply, which is always good practice to reduce noise and ground loops. However, this does leave the present configuration susceptible to interference from the inputs. This interference can be reduced by the using a simple common mode ac line filter at the AC input and using either a well shielded coax or microphone cable at the line level input. This configuration also poses an additional problem due the fact that we now have two different grounds with two different potentials. In the past I have observed this problem when using a certain brand of rotary switch for a volume control. The rotary switch was not well isolated internally and had enough of a leakage current so that noise was developed when it was used. Moving to a different vendor with higher isolation devices corrected the problem. I have not observed any problem with standard switches for on off applications or anything similar.
I have applied this technique to basic audio chain of equipment consisting of an outboard DAC, line level pre amp, and power amps using the chassis and grounding design I outlined above. The transport that I presently use is a modified consumer device and is equipped with a two-prong plug. The system also has an FM tuner and an old pre amp that is used as a phono pre amp. Both of these devices are standard consumer issue with a two-prong plug. I have observed no compatibility issues with the older style units.
As I outlined earlier I am going to break this rule at one point. The line level pre amp now has a connection from the return of the line stage pre amp power supply to the chassis of the unit. I have now connected earth ground to the analog “center point of the system.” This did not cause a ground loop at all, and to be more precise, for CD playback the inherent ground loops that are typical for unbalanced circuitry simply disappeared. The FM tuner and the old pre amp appear to be unaffected by the center point earth ground. A welcome addition was that the rotary switch that had a leakage problem because of the two different potential levels described earlier no longer had the problem due to center point earth ground.
The use of the system center point earth ground for low frequency applications has been in the textbooks for at least 30 some odd years and has been applied to other low frequency applications. Applied at this level to a simple chain of audio playback equipment, CD playback now has reduced hum and hiss to levels more akin to balanced design than unbalanced design. Playback of FM tuner and Phono pre amp remains unaffected.
One thing that has surprised me relates to the issue of low frequency applications. I was expecting to find problems with the digital portion of this playback chain. I have not found one to date but I think this needs to be investigated further when time allows.
A note to all of the tweakers who read this: I am not recommending any changes to existing designs; in fact I would discourage it.
To DIY folks: You may wish to rethink some of your present chassis/grounding schemes.
To the rest of the industry; this is a subject that not only deserves discussion but an active participation to reach acceptable standards.
The grounding system described above will not address the problem of toroidal transformers mechanically vibrating due to either DC on the AC lines or as I have observed on occasion, low frequency oscillations.
Dan Banquer

I hope that all of you who have particapated in this thread take some time and think about the implications of lousy grounding practices and a near total lack of standards.
d.b.

P.S. Yes I am having a really really bad hair day, so I thought I would cloud the issue with facts.

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Dan Banquer said:
......I have looked over the past 10 pages of this thread with near total disgust. While Gene has addressed the room loudspeaker issue I am going to attempt to address other issues that directly pertain to this thread.
The major problem with consumer audio gear is that there is no standard for grounding.....
Well, sure, I agree that the lack of standards to prevent noise problems in unbalanced connections is terrible. However, it is obvious when it occurs, and can usually be corrected easily with isolation transformers, as you mentioned. I've only had such noise problems with two pieces out of who knows how many pieces of hardware in 10 years time -- so it's not an issue that regularly affects me. I, personally, will not tolerate an audible noisefloor from my electronics in my home system or portable one(s), and I can't imagine that many audio fanatics would tolerate such noise, would they? Since I have not personally encountered audible noise problems in many cases, I question what prompted your response tone, especially the opening line. You almost seem upset? Do you regularly encounter such noise problems in practical application(s)? But maybe it really is a bad hair day? :D Now, to build that structurally isolated room, so that I can also have a dead quiet ambient noisefloor...

-Chris

Last edited:
S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
Back with my brief conclusion on my sources.

I used a headphone setup for the testing. Sennheiser HD650s with a $2,500 Singlepower MPX3 headphone amp. Next week I will test them through a dedicated 2 channel speaker setup with a Meridian G57 and E.A.R. 864 on the front end.

I tested the analog out on the following sources:

Meridian G08 redbook-only CD player ($3500)

Denon 3910 universal ($1000)

Onix XCD-88 redbook only CD player ($300)

WAV files running through Musical Fidelity X-Dac v3/ X-PSU v3/ and X-10 v3 ($1500 combo)

I also tested the Meridian, Denon and Onix via SPDIF thorugh the Musical fidelity chain.

All of the sources via SPDIF through the Musical Fidelity chain sounded the same to me. The only exception were the WAV files. Although they sounded the same, there was some clipping, however, I believe that is an iTunes issue.

The difference when using analog outs was significant IMO. The Denon and Onix sounded similar, but the Meridian clearly sounded different. Separation between instruments was much more evident and the overall sound is remarkably smoother, with none of the brightness I hear out of the Denon and Onix. I can understand why some people don't think it is worth it, but as far as I'm concerned, with 2 channel music comprising 90% of my listening, a high end redbook CD player is definitely worth the money. If you plan on using digital outs or are more into home theatre than music, don't waste your money, but if you are a 2 channel junkie like me, I highly recommend looking at a high quality source.

One note: While I prefer the sound of the Meridian to the Musical Fidelity chain, they both sound exceptional. If you aren't willing to spend the money solely on a CD player, a high quality DAC (and tube buffer for some tube warmth) should satisfy those seeking 2 channel bliss.

B

blackdeuce

Audiophyte
NAD cd player

In the original post, the author mentioned that he had a Pioneer DV-45A. I have the same player. The audio section does very well with cd's, DVD-A, and SACD. The SACD's sound really good, but they haven't blown me away.

I've had relatively expensive cd players such as an Ultech UCD-100, and a Revox player. My Technics DVD player (their old flagship model) sounded better than them. It was not a typical Technics piece. I've owned other players including an Arcam Alpha 7, a Denon, a Yamaha, etc.

I am currently using a NAD C542 cd player that kicks butt (my Technics DVD player died). I think I paid around $450 for it (internet). For cd's, I prefer the NAD over the Pioneer. I have a conrad-johnson preamp, Coda amp, and VonSchweikert speakers. It's a pretty revealing system.

I can't see an ultra high-dollar cd player sound too much better than the NAD.

Last edited:
S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
blackdeuce said:
I can't see an ultra high-dollar cd player sound too much better than the NAD.
I was a skeptic until I heard the Meridian. None of the players I have heard in the $1500 and below range seemed appreeciably different. The Meridian is in a completely different ballpark. As a 2 channel junkie, I can't believe I have gone this long without one. I have an Onix CD-1 ($1500) and a Sony SACD SA9000ES ($2500, not sure if I got that model number right) coming this week so I should be able to do some more comparison testing shortly.

B

blackdeuce

Audiophyte
Sleestack said:
I was a skeptic until I heard the Meridian. None of the players I have heard in the $1500 and below range seemed appreeciably different.
I can tell from previous posts that you have a very high-end system. I have never listened to a Meridian cd player, so I believe what you're saying. I haven't owned a cd player that cost more than $1,000, and when I've listened to real expensive players in the audio shops, their sound rooms usually suck (this always amazes me).

For the money, though, the NAD really is quite impressive.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
I dont need to spend much on a DVD player as i only use the dig connection but for SACD's.

J

James_Stewart

Enthusiast
My friend let me borrow his 1992 Meridian 206. WOW. What a difference from my current cd player. I was a skeptic and figured the DAC in my H/K 635 would take care of it, but this old Meridian puts out amazing sound. He's offered to sell it to me for $200, I'm going to demo the Music Hall cd25 this week. Has anyone tried Music Hall?

~james

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
James_Stewart said:
My friend let me borrow his 1992 Meridian 206. WOW. What a difference from my current cd player. I was a skeptic and figured the DAC in my H/K 635 would take care of it, but this old Meridian puts out amazing sound. He's offered to sell it to me for $200, I'm going to demo the Music Hall cd25 this week. Has anyone tried Music Hall?

~james

Since you are itching for a replacement player, go for that Mereidian. They make good products for sure and the price is right.
But, a word of caution. There is more to comparing components than just comparing them, if you want a meaningful outcome ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis