Aperion Verus Grand and Ascend Sierra Tower

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
But that is neither here nor there, because my main point is and has been that if you are thinking of the ascend with RAAL, there are some other great speakers in that price range with a RAAL tweeter that are definitely worth at least a quick look.
Would you be posting the same thing if the other great speakers were mentioned and not the Ascends?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
You mean if the other speakers were mentioned, would I be mentioning the ascend with RAAL? I would say probably. I didn't know ascend made a version with the RAAL tweeter until recently so I would probably say, now that I know, that Ascend also makes a version of their speakers with the RAAL as well.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
You mean if the other speakers were mentioned, would I be mentioning the ascend with RAAL? I would say probably. I didn't know ascend made a version with the RAAL tweeter until recently so I would probably say, now that I know, that Ascend also makes a version of their speakers with the RAAL as well.
Got it...understood.

And too add...Ascend makes a center (Sierra Tower Center) with the same specs as the Sierra Tower. :) Which the other companies don't...that I know of.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
That's sweet, I only know of two other companies that make a center with a RAAL ribbon. That's salk and selah.

SoundScape C

Magnifico

I'd have to look up the specs on the sierra tower to see how close these two come to it, and by extension the sierra center. Although I will say both of the speakers I linked are much more expensive which makes the sierra tower pretty sweet :)

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
I'd have to look up the specs on the sierra tower to see how close these two come to it, and by extension the sierra center. Although I will say both of the speakers I linked are much more expensive which makes the sierra tower pretty sweet :)
You will have to look in the Ascend forum to find info on the Sierra Tower Center, but I will tell you, the specs are the same. Same woofers, mid, and tweeter, same cabinet volume for the drivers, the difference being the STC is front slot ported, while the Tower is a rear "round" port.

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Hmmm I may have to pick one of these up, it may go nicely with my Phil 3s (when I finally get them) :D

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Hmmm I may have to pick one of these up, it may go nicely with my Phil 3s (when I finally get them) :D
Get a single Phil 3. You got the Phil 3 for a reason, you should match it with the center....a very important piece for multichannel music and HT.

Or get a full set of Ascends. :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Believe me I would in a heartbeat, but I would run into the age old problem of no dedicated room and a big 43" high speaker right smack under the tv.

Well, I've got plenty of time before I replace my center anyways maybe I'll do some furniture rearranging............

BAH, no way I'm getting rid of my Phils before I ever take shipment :eek::p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don’t think there is no way on this planet that the E55Ti could come close to any of the other two mentioned earlier, they are in two different leagues, in my opinion. I am not disrespecting the E55Ti, just being realistic.
And realistically, you'd be surprised with the diminishing returns.:D

Even if the Aperion & Ascend sound better, I don't think they will sound 100% better.

Hard to put a number on it.

But even if they are only 20% better, they might still be worth the price to you.:D

Harman has done double-blinded studies showing that some people preferred the lowly $400 P362 over speakers costing $3,000. Surely, they also appeared to be in different leagues.

But you might be surprised with the diminishing returns.:D

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I think the VGT should be quite superior to the Emp. But then again this is just my opinion as all of us have one.
How superior is "quite" superior, and on which source content? In which room?

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Believe me I would in a heartbeat, but I would run into the age old problem of no dedicated room and a big 43" high speaker right smack under the tv.

Well, I've got plenty of time before I replace my center anyways maybe I'll do some furniture rearranging............

BAH, no way I'm getting rid of my Phils before I ever take shipment :eek::p
Go all the way!! Rearrange that furniture! :)

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I don't want to get invloved being a Ascend owner but I happen to own certain speaker that at one time were" highly recommended" by Audioholics...IMHO the best way to audtion speaker is in your home and sent the others back. I know your situation makes this rather difficult but all these matter of fact opinions you read everyday .... get really tiresome... considering most of the guyswho make these recommendation have never heard the 2 said speakers?

F

Fowl

Audioholic
I have decided, I am going to try the Ascend with the Raal upgrade.:D

F

Fowl

Audioholic
While I would have like to get the piano gloss finish, I have to be a bit reserved and go with the matte black. 4K is quite a bit to spend on speakers. I can see a sign now on my room door, welcome to the dog house.:(

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
piano gloss will be fine, I've heard from many people who ordered the Philharmonic 2s that they were originally meh about the piano gloss when they ordered but loved it when their speakers actually arrived. I have no doubt the ascend speakers will have a similarly nice piano gloss finish.

Dog house indeed :)

V

Volta

Audioholic Intern
That dog house is going to sound awesome though! Congrats! Please post pics and your thoughts once you receive the Ascends.

Btw, if I were in your shoes I would have picked the Ascends as well. Looking forward to your thoughts.

F

Fowl

Audioholic
That dog house is going to sound awesome though! Congrats! Please post pics and your thoughts once you receive the Ascends.

Btw, if I were in your shoes I would have picked the Ascends as well. Looking forward to your thoughts.
Will do, it will be at least a month before they get to me in Cayman. But I will definitely post picks when I get them.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
While I would have like to get the piano gloss finish, I have to be a bit reserved and go with the matte black. 4K is quite a bit to spend on speakers. I can see a sign now on my room door, welcome to the dog house.:(
So how much is your Ascend speakers order in matte black finish? $4K?

Or is the $4K for the piano gloss black finish?

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
So how much is your Ascend speakers order in matte black finish? $4K?

Or is the $4K for the piano gloss black finish?
Piano black gloss...is optional because I believe its hand rubbed...Ascend also offers to do custom finishes for guys with deep pockets(like yourself...lol). The black gloss towers and STC cost $300.00>matte finish and when fitted with the RAAL your looking at ~$4250.00 for the gloss black.

I'd only be speculating but the piano gloss should be pushing 5g's...:eek:

Of all the reviews I've read in that GTG thread over at AVS...Archaea's was the only 3rd party review which preferred the Sierra's over the Phils and the ST....how about that folks....;)

Kudos for Dave & Ascend because he gets so little fanfare compared to some of the other brands.....over at AVS.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis