Aperion Verus Grand and Ascend Sierra Tower

F

Fowl

Audioholic
Hi Guys,

I have a question for you. If you had the opportunity to get either Aperion Verus Grand Tower and Center or Ascend Sierra Tower and Center. Which would you choose and why?

The Aperion with center is US$2,500 and the Ascend with the Center is US$3,100.

What are your thoughts?

gtpsuper24

gtpsuper24

Full Audioholic
Hi Guys,

I have a question for you. If you had the opportunity to get either Aperion Verus Grand Tower and Center or Ascend Sierra Tower and Center. Which would you choose and why?

What are your thoughts?
What I myself would get if it was my choice? Aperions.

Easier to power 6ohm vs 4ohm and Aperions have better sensitivity 89db vs 92db. But Aperion doesn't specify how they get the 92db (1m/1w or 2.83v/1m. 2.83v/1m at 4 ohm is usually 3db lower in sensitivity so Ascend is 89db not 92db in room.

Plus Aperion has free shipping both ways and matching dipole/bipole surrounds.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
The bottom line is, which one sounds better TO YOU?

They are similarly qualified, alibeit, the Ascend have more measurements available online.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Either is a great option, it really depends on what you are looking for.

The sensitivity is a good gauge for loudness, but that spec really depends on your usage. Speakers that are rated 89 or 85 db are capable of playing pretty loudly, obviously not quite as loudly as a higher sensitivity speaker, but still loud nonetheless. If you generally play at reference levels then you may run into some difficulties with a speaker with lower sensitivity. You also run into trouble with heat issues if you like to play really loud also. I would say the main issue is that it takes more power to get to the lower sensitivity speaker as loud as the higher sensitivity speaker.

That being said, if you generally play at reasonable volumes (IE not levels that will damage your hearing) the lower sensitivity shouldn't be a huge problem.

In terms of 6 ohm being easier to drive, that's not necessarily true either. Whether a speaker is easy to drive or not depends on impedance swings. A 4 ohm is just as "easy" to drive as an 8 ohm as long as neither speaker has huge swings and whatever amp you are using is quality and is rated for those impedances.

Aperion definitely has the advantage when it comes to returning if you aren't satisfied, however since both offer a return policy, and if you are really serious about both brands, and if you can afford it, (a lot of ifs I know) the best possible situation would be to order both at the same time, get them set up in your home and do an A-B test right there on the spot. This will allow you to choose definitively which speakers you prefer. I think that paying for return shipping on the ascend (assuming you don't choose them) would be more than worth it to A-B both sets.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Hi Guys,

What are your thoughts?
I'm with agarwalro. I would listen to both If you can and decide which one sounds best to you. Only your ears can decide. Do they both offer a 30 day trial?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Also, EMPtek speakers? Another ID brand with a good reputation, although doesn't include shipping costs in the return as well.

Yes all three offer 30 day in home trial, two of the brands (ascend and EMPtek don't offer to refund shipping)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you had the opportunity to get either Aperion Verus Grand Tower and Center or Ascend Sierra Tower and Center. Which would you choose and why?

I would choose the Ascend Sierra because I personally think they will sound better to me.:D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi Guys,

What are your thoughts?
This one is a very close call.
I would get Aperion first - since they offer free home trial. You could return Ascend, but you'd have to pay the shipping twice

My personal (educated guess) is while Aperion would probably have a bit better finish and appearance, Ascend is notorious for producing best possible SQ on the budget, often at expense of nicer finish.

In your price point I would strongly recommend to consider Philharmonic audio. I think DM also makes matching horizontal center, but I'm not sure on this or it's price

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
DM no longer makes a center, all center requests now go to Salk Sound to buy one of their centers.

If you're going to throw out the Phil suggestion I guess that means it's ok to throw out the song tower suggestion :D

http://www.salksound.com/songtower pricing.htm

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
DM no longer makes a center, all center requests now go to Salk Sound to buy one of their centers.

If you're going to throw out the Phil suggestion I guess that means it's ok to throw out the song tower suggestion :D

SongTower Images
yea, Salk SongTowers+Center would be $2800
I'll let someone else mention about Salk's return policy ;)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I guess I'll take that one ;)

Salk allows certain items to be returned within 30 days, but only for standard cabinets and only with certain speakers. It really works on more of a case by case basis. No custom speakers are available for return unless somehow damaged during the shipping process.

I guess the positive from that is that I have yet to read a review of salk speakers where the buyer didn't like them and wanted to sell them or return them.

F

Fowl

Audioholic
I was pursuing this some month ago and asked for inputs here, however I became very ill. Had to drop all my pursuits and deal with my health first. If I am not around, I cannot enjoy the music.:D

The reason why I asked it that I live in the Caribbean and the return policy won’t work for me. So anyone that I buy will be final. That is why I asked for the feed back.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I would almost say go with the salks if the return policy is a no go. Great speakers in your price range. Actually I found this thread that should answer many of your questions.

Need help deciding–Speakers–Salk SongTower, Sierra Tower, Aperion Versus Grand - AVS Forum
Most positive responses I heard from AH members regarding Salks speakers were about their upgraded ribbon twitter version, which Ascend offers as well for the towers (as an option)

You see the trend here....

That's the reason I suggested philharmonicaudio.com due to their model has standard Both ribbon twitter and plannar midrange starting at $1600/pr is the best bargain out of all options... that said, they apparently don't make horizontal centers...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

SongTower Images
What about Philharmonic monitors/bookshelfs ? Kiboshed as well?

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
The bottom line is, which one sounds better TO YOU?

They are similarly qualified, alibeit, the Ascend have more measurements available online.
Great answer. Since he asked for our opinions, mine is that the Ascends sound far better in every aspect. YMMV, of course.

If you order a standard veneer Salk's return policy is 30-days. If you customize the veneer or speaker in some way, there is no 30-day return because it's very hard to sell a speaker without losing money that was customized for a single person's needs.

The Salk's, Ascends and Philharmonics are what I'd choose from if I was looking, and I'd take any of the three over the Aperions. A pair of Philharmonic 2's were just delivered to my home today, so in thirty minutes I'll be running for the door here at our Corporate offices and heading home to fire them up. :D

F

Fowl

Audioholic
Great answer. Since he asked for our opinions, mine is that the Ascends sound far better in every aspect. YMMV, of course.

Yes I would like as much feed back as possible. I know this is based on personal choice and opinions, but i appreciate all comments.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I have not heard either speaker. My guess and opinion is that the Ascends would be worth the extra money though :)

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Well the good news is that, in this price range, with the reputable online brands that have been suggested (Aperion, Ascend, Salk, Philharmonic) you're not going to be getting a "bad" speaker no matter which brand you choose!

But at this price, you also most certainly want to make sure that you are getting the very best choice for YOU and your room and setup. There are most definitely some audible differences between all of these speakers. But it's awfully hard to say that any of them are outright "better" than any of the others. We're at a level here with any of them that they are all objectively quite "good" just in terms of the basics of good sound reproduction. At this price point, it's all about the little details that one listener might prefer over another.

I can sympathize with living outside of the US and needing to basically make this purchase once and not really having a convenient or inexpensive way to return ship most of these speakers if you don't like them. But I have to say, with this kind of money on the line and all of the choices being objectively "good", but still having definite differences in sound, you really do need to be able to hear and compare them for yourself. We're all going to have our favorites here, so you're not going to find a "clear winner" if that's what you're hoping for.

My suggestion: if you've already narrowed it down to just two brands in Ascend and Aperion, I would recommend that you order just the center speaker from both. That way, you can listen to the two centers head-to-head. You can compare them and decide which one you like better. Then return the "loser" and order the rest of the matching speakers for the "winner".

While you will be out the shipping cost of the "loser", at least it is only one speaker. I think that would be money well spent so that you can feel far more confident in your choice. Your personal preference, your room acoustics, your setup and placement; these are all things that no one here can really replicate. You have to hear it for yourself in a case like this.

Hope that helps :)

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
My suggestion: if you've already narrowed it down to just two brands in Ascend and Aperion, I would recommend that you order just the center speaker from both.
Except, Ascend is not yet offering that beast of a center you're thinking of :).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis