Any knife nuts here?

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Nope. It didn't come with one, but I can't complain for the price. :) I've seen versions with your stand and also with an arch stand, but I haven't seen those stands sold separately, yet.
I imagine it wouldn't be terribly difficult to make your own if you really wanted to..

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
My mom was recently in France and brought me back something I think you guys would appreciate :D

Last edited by a moderator:
GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
So what sharpener does everyone use? I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker, and I love it.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
I've been using Henckels for over 15 years now, pretty good knives IMO. From what I remember any of their line that displays the twin guys in black are their "top of the line" blades but I'm not sure if this has changed over the years. Looks like the ones you show in the picture are NOT the "Bose" of knives as they have the right stamp on them.

One thing about getting kitchen knives, made sure the handle (curve, height and profile) fits your hand/style nicely or try a different set/brand. My brother purchased a set of Wusthof knvies about the same time I did, also a very nice set of knvies with a little different feel/grip to them.

For anyone that cooks regularly I'd recommend getting a set of the good Henckels or Wusthof blades. Probably the most important thing is to learn how to sharpen them properly.

Steve
These were of good use over the Turkey time holidays of Thanksgiving and Christmas this year. I used to hate carving the turkey for dinner but it's amazing how a good sharp knife makes things so easy. My wife said to just throw the carcass away as there was no use in even giving the carcass to the neighbors dogs since there was no meat left on anything!

These cut the beef loin and ham very well too. I am now a believer in good sharp knives.

Thanks for this thread, now on to hunt for another couple specimens to add to the collection!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
So what sharpener does everyone use? I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker, and I love it.

I bought this of Woot for $35 or so a while ago and it does pretty decent job sharpening my cheap Ikea knifes in a very short time - really no skills needed

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Shun Electric Knife Sharpener.

Look and good and bad reviews - they both have good points..

I would never take my Shun knife to it, but it does great with cheap and dull knifes :)

I also have DMT kit Aligner
but I rarely use it now since it's so much easier to get good results with little Shun machine.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Woot has this 3 peice Shun set for $200

3-Piece Set Includes:
(1) 4" Perfect Paring Knife
(1) 6" Ultimate Utility Knife
(1) 7" Hollow Ground Santoku Knife

Shun Classic 3-Piece Set