J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
jetyi83 said:
give an example of "intellectual comedy"
Harold Lloyd. Although slapstick by defintion, Lloyd's approach and execution was very intellectual (as opposed to the Three Stooges or Laurel & Hardy). I think Lloyd is the penultimate comedian.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
Albert brooks, South Park. Tons of hidden satire in both of those.

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
yeah i agree. I dont understand what jc meant when he said people only like slapstick, and implied that the general public wasnt smart enough to enjoy "intellectual comedy". most intellectual comedy is slapstick.

only example i can think of thats not slapstick would be something like frasier. and the only reason its not generally accepted is cause its boring. dad wont move out and wont get rid of his embarrassing favorite recliner.. hilarious.

sdy284

sdy284

Audioholic
~JC~ said:
Adam Sandler, and the moron in Elf for that matter, are popular because they are communicating on the general level of the current demographic of movie-goers. Intellectual comedy is simply not tollerated or enjoyed by this group. It takes a thought process that they either lack, or are unwilling to use. Sorry, but that's how I see it. It is a very sad commentary on our society as it tries to move forward during these challenging times.
well Elf is supposed to be a comedy that parents can enjoy with their children. Its one of those movies that has enough humor for children yet also enough humor for adults to keep them entertained as well.

and if you hate adam sadler (or will ferrell) so much, then dont watch their movies, plain and simple.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
~JC~ said:
Adam Sandler, and the moron in Elf for that matter, are popular because they are communicating on the general level of the current demographic of movie-goers. Intellectual comedy is simply not tollerated or enjoyed by this group. It takes a thought process that they either lack, or are unwilling to use. Sorry, but that's how I see it. It is a very sad commentary on our society as it tries to move forward during these challenging times.
Sorry,
But your elitist comment doesnt hold water. That kind of comedy has been popular since the beginning of time, and it will survive until the end of time.

Sincerely,
Red Skeleton, Charlie Chaplin, The 3-Stooges, Laurel & Hardy, Lucy, and the many pioneers
who mastered this brand of comedy many, many moons ago

Last edited:
B

Buckeye_Nut

jetyi83 said:
give an example of "intellectual comedy"
Hahahahahahahaha!!!

OK, that was funny!!

Lemme guess.... science based jokes told at a astrophysicist convention?? :)

Last edited:
STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Hi Ho said:
Why is he so popular? I find him annoying and boring. I don't find him the least bit funny and his movies are among the worst I have watched. All this, and so many people I know think he's the greatest!

My opinion is, of course, my opinion. What's yours? Am I the odd man out?
My opinion...He's okay. Middle of the road for me. He does some funny and some not.

Comedy is like anything else, it takes all kinds to make everyone happy. Take me, I thought 9 out of 10 Seinfeld episodes were really dumb, and I mean DUMB, but it was one of the most successful sitcoms of all time. That whole Jerry Seinfeld / Larry David / Woody Allen stuff I find mind numbing and before anyone says it, yes I get it. I just see the punch line coming from a mile away to often and don't find that funny. I had a discussion at a bar once with a an older gent that just wouldn't hear it that Woody Allen wasn't that funny and that I just didn't understand it. What's not to understand?:confused: At least with Adam Sandler I don't always see the punch line coming. (funny or not)

Childish humor can be a nice little get away for the mind.

For childish and intelligent watch House on tv...best of both worlds...and it's not even a comedy.

SBF1

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
Wedding Singer is my favorite comedy of all time. May not be the best comedy ever made but I relate to it as I am a wedding DJ and I grew up in the 80's. Loved the music, the chemistry between him and Drew Barrymore, the grandma with the meatballs...

On the whole though, I agree, Adam Sandler movies have become pretty bad since. I did like happy Gilmore and the one where he saw penguins. I think you have to be on the influence of something to get it.

JC

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I like 50 First Dates, Wedding Singer and the Longest Yard. that's it I think.

I hate (off the top of my mind) Little Nicky, ummm ... I deleted the others from my memory ... hoping I can get back the time I wasted away watching those.

B

Buckeye_Nut

I think the 'Waterboy' is one of his best movies.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Adam Sandler's style of comedy is childish. Most of his movies are essentially all cut from the same cookie sheet. The stories and scripts seem to have been written by a high school student, and a bad one at that.

That being said, I have no idea why I find his movies funny, but I do. They are stupid, sooo stupid, and poorly acted. But they kind of relate to the average guy which somehow makes me laugh. He is the kind of actor that I don't want to like, but I still do.

cajun600

cajun600

Enthusiast
the longest yard wasn't too bad, but waterboy was much much funnier :D

S

Svenhook

Audioholic
Personally, i like Adam Sandler. I think his movies are funny and fun to watch however childish they are. I agree that they are getting less and less funny as he goes but Im a big fan of Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, and Big Daddy.

As for the intellectual comedy thing, some may yell at me for this but watch the Simpsonsa and though a lot of the comedy (especually in the new episodes) are kinda of crude on childish, they have several jokes that id consider intellectual. Ones that probably 60% of the viewers dont even pick up on. Those writers are bery very smart.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Svenhook said:
Personally, i like Adam Sandler. I think his movies are funny and fun to watch however childish they are. I agree that they are getting less and less funny as he goes but Im a big fan of Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, and Big Daddy.

As for the intellectual comedy thing, some may yell at me for this but watch the Simpsonsa and though a lot of the comedy (especually in the new episodes) are kinda of crude on childish, they have several jokes that id consider intellectual. Ones that probably 60% of the viewers dont even pick up on. Those writers are bery very smart.

The Simpsons is one of the best written comedies of all time IMO. It can be very smart and very funny with very off the wall references on all sorts of levels...some thing for everyone.

SBF1

Johnny Canuck

Johnny Canuck

Banned
Although this thread is about Adam Sandler, there was mention of the Simpsons and the writing.

The Simpsons has been my favorite show on TV until Family Guy. I have seen all the Simpsons. The Simpsons has not been funny for a few years now. In fact it's become downright stupid. The writers have either run out of things to write about or they have new writers who just plain aren't funny.

As I said, Family Guy is far superior now IMO.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
The Simpson's suck now because Matt Groening gave up creative control.

And I agree. Family Guy rocks my world. New season on DVD this spring.

SheepStar

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
ehh.. family guys goes to the same jokes over and over.. its gets predictable and old after a while.

season 2 and 3 were much better. some episodes are still really funny, but what the hell.. why do they keep going to the same stuff. its only funny the first time, not the 2nd 3rd and 4th time i hear it.

i like the simpsons. and south park has good and bad episodes, but lately south park is the winner.

if family guy does another 2 minute barbershop quartet song im turning the channel. it was funny the first time.. maybe the second but i can count like 4 episodes with it .. the crappy thing is they didnt even repeat jokes until they came back to tv.. i guess they just thought people all loved their old jokes so much they would do it over and over. like the 2nd chicken fight scene. that was dumb.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I agree, Family Guy is starting to run out of stuff. Still have some funny ones here and there, and the earlier seasons were damn funny. I like that Southpark is all over current events, but I actually got tired of it really quickly.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis